By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is it FAIR for sony to win this generation?

Tagged games:

Of course it is fair that Sony is winning and I'm not saying this as a Sony fan.

(1st and most important)
They learned from their mistakes: Instead of offering expensive hardware or media that most gamers wouldn't care for, they offered an affordable console with good hardware.

-They consulted big publishers before designing their controller, thus improving its quality and strengthening their relations with 3rd parties

-They made sure 3rd parties were behind their console and even heavily promoted 3rd party games.

-They didn't rest on 3rd parties and have delivered great games since the console launched. They didn't force their 1st parties to release unfinished games, but allowed them to delay their games several times to achieve high quality (not sure whose fault Driveclub was).

-They didn't overwhelm consumers with 1st and 3rd party games around the holiday periods. They spread out the releases to avoid any droughts.

A ps4 owner has more options and more games of high quality than xb1 or wiiu.

Around the Network

From the E3 launch announcements of this gen consoles to the current state of the big 3 now, Sony's been making more moves that appeal and satisfy the mass so yes they deserve to win (for now).

archer9234 said:
Teeqoz said:
archer9234 said:

People do that all the time on EVERYTHING. "COD is shit. Earthbound is amazing!" And the sort. Sony didn't cheat their way into winning. MS and Nintendo screwed up. So they have vaild reason to win.

Your example is basically the exact opposite of equating sales with quality, but okay.

I didn't say Sony "cheated" their way into winning. Yes, they are winning because MS and Ninty screwed up. Do they "deserve" to win? Nah, there's no such thing as deserving to win in business. You do what you do, and you try your best to win.

I mean, Microsoft could've bought Activision and 2K and made CoD, GTA, Destiny, Bioshock, etc. all exclsuive to the XBO, and it would've destroyed the PS4 in no time. Would that mean they "deserved" to win? Again, no.

I could spin that and say. They were smart and beat MS and Nintendo to the punch. So they deserve to win. 'Cause MS and Nintendo failed to capitize on an opening. Which Sony did here, in your case. Sony, got all the 3rd parties away from Nintendo, ps1 years. XB1, Sony made the game lending ad, that made fun of MS' unexplained DRM. If Sony bought those companies, would that be a dick move? Fuck yeah. But that is a subjective emotional reason. VS them doing it. Getting around monopoly laws. And owning MS and Nintendo's ass.

I don't have to make any subjective emotional reasoning for any company winning, simply because I don't think any company "deserves" to win. In fact, no matter what a company did, I wouldn't say that they "deserved" to win.

Sales aren't objective. They are the combined result of how you influence people's bias Just because a lot of people pick the same thing doesn't make it objectively the best thing.

Fairness, value, etc...those are irrelevant, the current state of consoles sales are simply a product of their own decision and characteristics.

The difference between the PS3 and the XB1 is the timing, and that timing was extremely significant. The characteristics of PS4 and PS3 vs XB360 and XBONE are nearly identical.

Namely, the PS3 was marginally outselling the XB360 after its bad launch excluding holidays, this along with its support in the other regions was why it caught up.

The XB1 is not doing this, rather its still acting like the XB360 with the main distinction being its selling much faster at the beginning than the 360. Like the 360, it only outsells the PS4 in Holidays, even assuming the trend holds this holidays which is pretty dubious. And it does not have support in more than a few regions.

In contrast, the PS4 is acting like the PS3, but at a much greater sales rate, and it has the region advantage.

This makes it clear how the PS3 can catch up against the 360, but not the One vs the PS4. And the One will never catch up, to the PS4 unless it outsells it regularly.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Sprash said:

I mean, Microsoft could've bought Activision and 2K and made CoD, GTA, Destiny, Bioshock, etc. all exclsuive to the XBO, and it would've destroyed the PS4 in no time. Would that mean they "deserved" to win? Again, no.

If it would be that easy they would have done that ages ago. You are also talking about "deserving" (don't know why I don't talk about deserving or did I?) so would you say it is "Fair" for sony to win?

No they wouldn't, because it would be a complete waste of cash, and Microsoft aren't interested in doing it. They easily could do it if they were interested in doing so though.

Fair and deserved are synonyms of eachother. Same thing.

Around the Network

Microsoft doesn't have the global appeal or varied first party to pull a PS3.

Anyway launch alligned PS3 wasn't really behind 360, PS3 is in a far better position than XB1 because PlayStation is PlayStation.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

naruball said:
Of course it is fair that Sony is winning and I'm not saying this as a Sony fan.

(1st and most important)
They learned from their mistakes: Instead of offering expensive hardware or media that most gamers wouldn't care for, they offered an affordable console with good hardware.

-They consulted big publishers before designing their controller, thus improving its quality and strengthening their relations with 3rd parties

-They made sure 3rd parties were behind their console and even heavily promoted 3rd party games.

-They didn't rest on 3rd parties and have delivered great games since the console launched. They didn't force their 1st parties to release unfinished games, but allowed them to delay their games several times to achieve high quality (not sure whose fault Driveclub was).

-They didn't overwhelm consumers with 1st and 3rd party games around the holiday periods. They spread out the releases to avoid any droughts.

A ps4 owner has more options and more games of high quality than xb1 or wiiu.

Well more games of high quality is subjective, but nice opinion.  Sony did do things right, but there are still things they are not getting right.  

Sprash said:
Mr_No said:
This might come off the wrong way, but I too want Sony to win. However, if they're going to win, they need to earn it. The race is still not over and they can't just get lazy.

Don't worry doesn't come off the wrong way, but would you say there is a chance for the xbox one to make ps3 comeback?

It might. Anything can happen. But for that to happen something bad has to happen to Sony that affects their rep.

Teeqoz said:
archer9234 said:
Teeqoz said:
archer9234 said:

People do that all the time on EVERYTHING. "COD is shit. Earthbound is amazing!" And the sort. Sony didn't cheat their way into winning. MS and Nintendo screwed up. So they have vaild reason to win.

Your example is basically the exact opposite of equating sales with quality, but okay.

I didn't say Sony "cheated" their way into winning. Yes, they are winning because MS and Ninty screwed up. Do they "deserve" to win? Nah, there's no such thing as deserving to win in business. You do what you do, and you try your best to win.

I could spin that and say. They were smart and beat MS and Nintendo to the punch. So they deserve to win. 'Cause MS and Nintendo failed to capitize on an opening. Which Sony did here, in your case. Sony, got all the 3rd parties away from Nintendo, ps1 years. XB1, Sony made the game lending ad, that made fun of MS' unexplained DRM. If Sony bought those companies, would that be a dick move? Fuck yeah. But that is a subjective emotional reason. VS them doing it. Getting around monopoly laws. And owning MS and Nintendo's ass.

I don't have to make any subjective emotional reasoning for any company winning, simply because I don't think any company "deserves" to win. In fact, no matter what a company did, I wouldn't say that they "deserved" to win.

Sales aren't objective. They are the combined result of how you influence people's bias Just because a lot of people pick the same thing doesn't make it objectively the best thing.

"Just because a lot of people pick the same thing doesn't make it objectively the best thing." Just like my example of the Transformers movies. But Micheal Bay won out. And I don't have stories that reflect quality, like Beast Wars or Transformers Prime did. So I'm the loser.

archer9234 said:

"Just because a lot of people pick the same thing doesn't make it objectively the best thing." Just like my example of the Transformers movies. But Micheal Bay won out. And I don't have stories that reflect quality, like Beast Wars or Transformers Prime did. So I'm the loser.

Like I said, there's no debating that Sony objectively won. But that wasn't my point.

Anyway, I think we are just gonna have to agree to disagree on this