By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Im going full digital Next Year

I probably should have went full digital. I have a 2 TB hard drive connected to the Wii U and I still have 980 GB left but the Wii U won't let me use the remaining spaces for other things other than itself. Fortunately the hard drive and cable only cost 50$ .

Around the Network

I've been mainly digital for about 4 years and full digital in the last couple of years. Though this was partly due to me being in china rather than through choice.

Digital can be more expensive but I don't like physical media. Having to get off my ass to switch wii u games would stop me playing half my games... Even switching games on my 3ds is irritating.

I can get physical games cheaper on day 1 than I can if I go digital. It makes no logical sense(to me at least) to go exclusively digital. I prefer physical media anyway having grown up with it and for the ability to sell them later on(especially if they appreciate in value).

Since you only own a Wii U, i should warn you. Games on the X1 and PS4 use up huge ammounts of disk space. I would say a 1terabyte disk will hold you about 20 games. So... depending on how much you buy, you will be looking at investement on an even bigger HD, despitethe fact you will not get any returns on selling your used games.
Besides other risks already mentioned i consider going full digital a big and costly mistake.

I went full digital at the start of this gen.
Both Xbox one and WiiU have external hdds and the ps4 has a 2tb drive installed, too.

I'd recommend going digital only for major titles you know you will play extensively.

Around the Network
jason1637 said:

So i have decided to go full digital nexr year. The only thing that was stopping me from doing so is that i have a wii u and theres no push for me to go digital due to things like when i get a physical game i could just play it and that prices fro nintendo games dont go down for years so i would have to buy soem used games and get some deals to get wii u games for a cheaper price. But since im picking up the Xbox One this Year and the PS4 next year i decided to go digital because since games will need to download anyways i thought there is really no point to go to a store and downlaod the game when i could just get the game of the digital store and have the game atatched to my account. I just bought a 250gb hard drive for the wii u and will be gettign a 1tb or more harddrive for the xbox oen and ps4 when i pick them up. Have any of you guys gone digital before and if so is there a way to speed up downloads on current gen.

I am not sure that you have grasped the digital concept entirely, specifically the bolded part.

If you buy a disc, you don't need to download it anyways...It installs onto your HDD in a matter if seconds (PS4) or minutes (XOne) without any need for internet. 

I am almost full digital, but I pay attention and buy all my games on separate accounts. That way I can resell my digital games without restrictions. But even then, I feel that full digital is ridiculous, there are some advantages, but a retail disc has many advantages as well (especially the fact that they are always cheaper day one than in the digital store).

jason1637 said:

i decided to go digital because since games will need to download anyways 

But the games don't download when you put the disc in. They simply install. You can delete that install, and then install it again without ever having to download anything (other than patches... which every damn console does now).

I can't really go digital myself. I like the physical good too much... T_T

Though you do make a good point. What's the point of having the CD when you still have to install the game? I guess the CD is a back up in case you lose the console or something...? Not really a fan of games still needing to install even when you have the disc.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Congrats

KingdomHeartsFan said:

I specifically said if he can't fit all the games on his console then he would lose them after the online isn't supported.

Are you paranoid or something ? Online wont stop being suported, if it does that means Sony, Nintendo or MS broke, and them the least of your concerns will be that you wont be able to play old games anymore. Theres something called a library you can acess at anytime online and redownload games, keeping them al downloaded and installed forever is paranoid to the extreme, not to mention dumb as fuck as nobody replays everygame, in fact very few ppl replay the games they think are the best maybe once or twice and never even look again for the vast majority of games they beat.

The only real downside of full digital is that you cant colect games anymore and a lot of gamers are colectors of games as well, for these players full digital will never be an option, however everybody better get used to the idea cause full digital model is comming, MS screwed up with how they sold the idea but I dont see the next gen having physical media anymore. PC players have been using steam for ages and it works perfectly well (and no one downloads every game they buy and keep installed on theyre PCs forever cause thats just insane).