By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - October Trends PS4 sizzles, while Halo fizzles, and Wii-U remains constant.

Snoopy said:
Zoombael said:

Only thing you are proving is that apperantly Sony isn't the simple profit hungry capitalist mega corporation and truly wants to satisfy a wide spectrum of gamers, unlike Microsoft, going simply for the mainstream audience and showing no to minimum effort in doing so, always looking for the best profit margin. Well done.

Sony isn't money hungry? Thats funny, because last time I checked they're a corporation. Microsoft knows that you need to expand or you're going to explode just like the early colonist in America. They bought Gears of War, Minecraft, Havok this generation and possibly AMD. Each Xbox system is getting more and more popular than the next. Sony is too comfortable where they're at and they will one day run into a brick wall just look at Nintendo. Microsoft is the only console manufacture that improves each generation and gains more popularity. Sony is surviving mostly off of brand name and being cheaper at the start which caused a lot of people to purchase a PS4 and now their friends are.

According to you, yes. You're the one who was implying this. Not me.

"They bought Gears of War, Minecraft, Havok this generation and possibly AMD"

So what? Gears of War is not a new IP. Neither is Minecraft. And what about Havok and AMD? Not sure what you are trying to say. That MS is indeed only in for maximum profit, achieving this being as cheap as a scotsman, taking minimal risks, not investing in new and innovative IPs, ideas and technology?

"Sony is too comfortable where they're at and they will one day run into a brick wall just look at Nintendo."

What rubbish is that? Who is promoting and PRing constantly? At how many big conventions was/will be Sony relevant this year in comparison to MS? 4:2, two of them taking place during the most important season of the year. Not to speak of all those smaller ones, like Taipei Games Show and CES. And who has the most diverse and plentiful games library? Certainly not any Xbox.

"Microsoft is the only console manufacture that improves each generation and gains more popularity."

Wrong again. X1 sales were higher at the start, but now they're down to 360 level. Guess why MS won't reveal sales numbers anymore. They saw this coming. Because they can't counter the incoming tidal wave. Next year is going to be a slaughter and MS doesn't want anyone to see their shame. And you're seriously suggesting that Xbone sales will be higher than X360s at the end of this generation? Srsly?

" Sony is surviving mostly off of brand name and being cheaper at the start"

Goodness. You have no clue whatsoever. As a matter of fact, the price of the PS4 corrolates with the price tag of the PS1 and PS2. But those weren't cheaper than the relevant competition at the start. Dreamcast (1998/99) for example was available for way less money than the PS2 (2000) when it was released (the DC not the PS2). And what about PS3? Xbox 360 had a headstart of one year and was cheaper, but PS3 came out on top anyway. Besides, It didn't take long (1/2 year) till the X1 was at the same price range. Now it's even below that and it's still not enough to come even close.

Of brand name? Singular? Games made the PS consoles. And games, resp. true exclusives there will be...

Playstation 4

1. Alienation

2. Deep Down

3. Detroit - Become Human

4. Dreams

7. Drawn to Death

8. Fat Princess Adventures

9. Gran Turismo Sport

11. Gravity Rush 2

12. Guns Up!

12. Hardware Rivals

13. Hot Shots Golf

14. Horizon Zero Dawn

15. Hunger (so far)

16. Inferno Climber

17. Kill Strain

18. Let It Die

19. Matterfall

20. Megadimension Neptunia VII

21. Nier Automata

22. Nioh

23. Ratchet & Clank

24. Ready To Run

25. Rime

26. Shadow of the Beast

27. Stories: The Hidden Path

28. The Tomorrow Children

29. The Last Guardian

31. The Witch and the Hundred Knight 2 (so far)

32. Uncharted 4: A Thiefs End

33. Ubusuna (So far)

34. Vector

35. Wattam

36. W!ld

37. What Remains of Edith Finch

38. Without Memory

Playstation VR

1. Godling

2. Headmaster

3. London Heist

4. Rigs: Mechanized Combat League

5. Robinson: The Journey

6. Summer Lesson

7. VizionEck

8. Wayward Sky

And this is list is growing and growing. Whereas the list of upcoming Xbox One games stays pretty consistent...

Xbox One

1. Gears Of War 4

2. Halo 5

3. Inside

3. Natsuki Chronicle

4. Phantom Dust (in dev limbo)

5. Project: Knoxville

6. Psycho Pass

7. Quantum Break

8. Raiden V

9. Recore

10. Scalebound

11. The Toilet Chronicles 

And adding plattform and console exclusives don't change a thing.

Hunting Season is done...

Around the Network
Torillian said:
Question to the OP: I apologize if this has been stated already but I was curious how things change if you take out Playstation and Xbox from their respective searches and only look at PS4, Playstation 4 and Xone, Xbox One specifically? Basically just taking out the first term from both searches.

Back when I started doing this I had to come up with a method that included things like Xbox backwards compatibility. Doing what you said did not, and since many people just say I got a new Xbox (majority referencing to the Xbox One when they said that) the Xbox numbers tanked as a result. I just did a new test and this method still hurts Xbox One numbers. The following would be how the pie chart would look.

My method might slightly overcompensate the Xbox One, but I stand by my belief that the original method is more accurate.

Protendo said:
Torillian said:
Question to the OP: I apologize if this has been stated already but I was curious how things change if you take out Playstation and Xbox from their respective searches and only look at PS4, Playstation 4 and Xone, Xbox One specifically? Basically just taking out the first term from both searches.

Back when I started doing this since that method would not include things like Xbox backwards compatibility, the Xbox numbers tanked. I just did a new test and this method still hurts Xbox One numbers. The following would be how the pie chart would look.

My method might slightly overcompensate the Xbox One, but I stand by my belief that the original method is more accurate.

I would agree that your original method in this thread seems the most fair.  Last request.  How crazy do things get when you include "Nintendo but not Nintendo 3DS or NIntendo DS" in the Wii-U side of things?  I know noone says "I just got a Nintendo" but I'm curious. 

Torillian said:
Protendo said:

Back when I started doing this since that method would not include things like Xbox backwards compatibility, the Xbox numbers tanked. I just did a new test and this method still hurts Xbox One numbers. The following would be how the pie chart would look.

I would agree that your original method in this thread seems the most fair.  Last request.  How crazy do things get when you include "Nintendo" in the Wii-U side of things?  I know noone says "I just got a Nintendo" but I'm curious. 

You get inaccurate data. You get tweets about Nintendo's financials topping the charts that really don't have to do with Wii-U.

Protendo said:
Torillian said:

I would agree that your original method in this thread seems the most fair.  Last request.  How crazy do things get when you include "Nintendo" in the Wii-U side of things?  I know noone says "I just got a Nintendo" but I'm curious. 

You get inaccurate data. You get tweets about Nintendo's financials topping th charts that really don't have to do with Wii-U.

Yeah that's fair, thanks for the info.  

Around the Network
Torillian said:
Protendo said:

You get inaccurate data. You get tweets about Nintendo's financials topping th charts that really don't have to do with Wii-U.

It was the emulation news that was the biggest deal. Nintendo N64 emulation news for Android doesn't feel right as the most discussed item for the Wii-U. Nintendo has the longest (and dare I say best?) back catalog, so emulation news really skews things. If you put "Nintendo Wii-U" than Wii-U would have included that.

Glad I can help. Suprisingly the amount of "I got a new Nintendo" topics is almost non-existant without the abbreviation, so it works out.

Zoombael said:
Snoopy said:

Sony isn't money hungry? Thats funny, because last time I checked they're a corporation. Microsoft knows that you need to expand or you're going to explode just like the early colonist in America. They bought Gears of War, Minecraft, Havok this generation and possibly AMD. Each Xbox system is getting more and more popular than the next. Sony is too comfortable where they're at and they will one day run into a brick wall just look at Nintendo. Microsoft is the only console manufacture that improves each generation and gains more popularity. Sony is surviving mostly off of brand name and being cheaper at the start which caused a lot of people to purchase a PS4 and now their friends are.

So what? Gears of War is not a new IP. Neither is Minecraft. And what about Havok and AMD? Not sure what you are trying to say. That MS is indeed only in for maximum profit, achieving this being as cheap as a scotsman, taking minimal risks, not investing in new and innovative IPs, ideas and technology?

"Sony is too comfortable where they're at and they will one day run into a brick wall just look at Nintendo."

What rubbish is that? Who is promoting and PRing constantly? At how many big conventions was/will be Sony relevant this year in comparison to MS? 4:2, two of them taking place during the most important season of the year. Not to speak of all those smaller ones, like Taipei Games Show and CES. And who has the most diverse and plentiful games library? Certainly not any Xbox.

"Microsoft is the only console manufacture that improves each generation and gains more popularity."

Wrong again. X1 sales were higher at the start, but now they're down to 360 level. Guess why MS won't reveal sales numbers anymore. They saw this coming. Because they can't counter the incoming tidal wave. Next year is going to be a slaughter and MS doesn't want anyone to see their shame. And you're seriously suggesting that Xbone sales will be higher than X360s at the end of this generation? Srsly?

Goodness. You have no clue whatsoever. As a matter of fact, the price of the PS4 corrolates with the price tag of the PS1 and PS2. But those weren't cheaper than the relevant competition at the start. Dreamcast (1998/99) for example was available for way less money than the PS2 (2000) when it was released (the DC not the PS2). And what about PS3? Xbox 360 had a headstart of one year and was cheaper, but PS3 came out on top anyway. Besides, It didn't take long (1/2 year) till the X1 was at the same price range. Now it's even below that and it's still not enough to come even close.

Of brand name? Singular? Games made the PS consoles. And games, resp. true exclusives there will be...

Playstation 4

1. Alienation

2. Deep Down

4. Dreams

7. Drawn to Death

9. Gran Turismo Sport

11. Gravity Rush 2

12. Guns Up!

12. Hardware Rivals

13. Hot Shots Golf

14. Horizon Zero Dawn

15. Hunger (so far)

16. Inferno Climber

17. Kill Strain

18. Let It Die

19. Matterfall

21. Nier Automata

22. Nioh

23. Ratchet & Clank

24. Ready To Run

25. Rime

26. Shadow of the Beast

29. The Last Guardian

33. Ubusuna (So far)

34. Vector

35. Wattam

36. W!ld

38. Without Memory

Playstation VR

1. Godling

2. Headmaster

3. London Heist

6. Summer Lesson

7. VizionEck

8. Wayward Sky

And this is list is growing and growing. Whereas the list of upcoming Xbox One games stays pretty consistent...

Xbox One

1. Gears Of War 4

2. Halo 5

3. Inside

3. Natsuki Chronicle

6. Psycho Pass

7. Quantum Break

8. Raiden V

9. Recore

10. Scalebound

I like how you list f2p and indie games for the ps4 but conveniently don't list the xbox ones like fable legends, gigantic, smite , world of tanks , elite dangerous ,cuphead and more or games that are already out like forza motor sport, forza horizon and sunset. Investing into big ips is smart because it is what people buy and not niche exclusive that nobody cares about. You think people outside these forums want to play some japanese anime game that only appeal to a niche group of people?  You wonder why their has been a serious drop of quantity and quality in Japanese Anime games from 6th generation? Westerns and Europeans don't like them. People want the halo, gears , cod, minecraft, madden, fifa type games.  You know the big games that actually interest people. Microsoft has some new ips likes scale bound and quantum break, but I don't think for a minute it is big system sellers. Maybe decent, but not big.

"Wrong again. X1 sales were higher at the start, but now they're down to 360 level. Guess why MS won't reveal sales numbers anymore. They saw this coming. Because they can't counter the incoming tidal wave. Next year is going to be a slaughter and MS doesn't want anyone to see their shame. And you're seriously suggesting that Xbone sales will be higher than X360s at the end of this generation? Srsly?"

According to the site we are on as well as NPD, Microsoft xbox one is selling faster than 360 each and every year. That isn't why they won't show their numbers. They are making the xbox an ecosystem. Only reason why xbox one won't meet 360 sales is because the xbox one will only last 5-6 years unlike 360 which last 8 years before the next xbox.

Snoopy said:
Zoombael said:

Playstation 4

1. Alienation

2. Deep Down

4. Dreams

7. Drawn to Death

9. Gran Turismo Sport

11. Gravity Rush 2

12. Guns Up!

12. Hardware Rivals

13. Hot Shots Golf

14. Horizon Zero Dawn

15. Hunger (so far)

16. Inferno Climber

17. Kill Strain

18. Let It Die

19. Matterfall

21. Nier Automata

22. Nioh

23. Ratchet & Clank

24. Ready To Run

25. Rime

26. Shadow of the Beast

29. The Last Guardian

33. Ubusuna (So far)

34. Vector

35. Wattam

36. W!ld

38. Without Memory

Playstation VR

1. Godling

2. Headmaster

3. London Heist

6. Summer Lesson

7. VizionEck

8. Wayward Sky

Xbox One

1. Gears Of War 4

2. Halo 5

3. Inside

3. Natsuki Chronicle

6. Psycho Pass

7. Quantum Break

8. Raiden V

9. Recore

10. Scalebound

I like how you list f2p and indie games for the ps4 but conveniently don't list the xbox ones like fable legends, gigantic, smite , world of tanks , elite dangerous ,cuphead and more or games that are already out like forza motor sport, forza horizon and sunset. Investing into big ips is smart because it is what people buy and not niche exclusive that nobody cares about. You think people outside these forums want to play some japanese anime game that only appeal to a niche group of people?  You wonder why their has been a serious drop of quantity and quality in Japanese Anime games from 6th generation? Westerns and Europeans don't like them. People want the halo, gears , cod, minecraft, madden, fifa type games.  You know the big games that actually interest people. Microsoft has some new ips likes scale bound and quantum break, but I don't think for a minute it is big system sellers. Maybe decent, but not big.

"Wrong again. X1 sales were higher at the start, but now they're down to 360 level. Guess why MS won't reveal sales numbers anymore. They saw this coming. Because they can't counter the incoming tidal wave. Next year is going to be a slaughter and MS doesn't want anyone to see their shame. And you're seriously suggesting that Xbone sales will be higher than X360s at the end of this generation? Srsly?"

According to the site we are on as well as NPD, Microsoft xbox one is selling faster than 360 each and every year. That isn't why they won't show their numbers. They are making the xbox an ecosystem. Only reason why xbox one won't meet 360 sales is because the xbox one will only last 5-6 years unlike 360 which last 8 years before the next xbox.

So much wrong...

People don't buy the Japanese games? Or niche don't have space? How do they still release and sell them?

X1 is ahead of X360 for 2 reasons, big oppening and X360 slow start because PS3 was still buzzed before price info... but it have been losing it gap advantage for quite sometime, or do you really expect them to get 90M sold with the big plummet in Europe and losing for ps4 in USA?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Protendo said:
Torillian said:

It was the emulation news that was the biggest deal. Nintendo N64 emulation news for Android doesn't feel right as the most discussed item for the Wii-U. Nintendo has the longest (and dare I say best?) back catalog, so emulation news really skews things. If you put "Nintendo Wii-U" than Wii-U would have included that.

Glad I can help. Suprisingly the amount of "I got a new Nintendo" topics is almost non-existant without the abbreviation, so it works out.

I get what the method is. Pretty cool. 

Have you considered simply putting "new wii" or "wii" in reference to the Wii U? I know of examples of people doing this, specifically non-gamers. 

Tag (Courtesy of Fkusumot) "If I'm posting in this thread then it's probally a spam thread."                               

c03n3nj0 said:
Protendo said:

I get what the method is. Pretty cool. 

Have you considered simply putting "new wii" or "wii" in reference to the Wii U? I know of examples of people doing this, specifically non-gamers. 

The difference is that most of the added results about Wii are about emulation through dolphin. Looking at the peaks I saw 0 of the top being about the Wii-U that wouldn't be included using Wii U, so that would create innaccurate data. Even though all the top discussed "new wii" were about the original Wii or had Wii U in it and would have been inlcuded, it's so insignificant that it becomes a way to pad numbers and nothing more. As you can tell the padding isn't going to do much.

See you all next month!

• "new wii" 1,099