By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Bloomberg: Nintendo Mobile Game Delay Triggers $4.5 Billion Drop in Value

Wagram said:
The interesting thing is that this probably could have been mostly avoided if Nintendo had been more transparent with investors in the months leading to this announcement. Everyone (investors included) expected Mario. In addition, the delay didn't help matters much. When investors are fickle and dump that much stock it is a very bad sign that they don't believe in management anymore. We all love Nintendo, but they need to open up more.

I think Nintendo is very much in transition at the moment. I know Iwata has only been dead for as few months but he didn't run the company in the typical way a businessman would, to be fair to him he ran it as a creator so if there was a Mario game in development for mobile and it wasn't near ready he would of slotted it at the back of the pack and pushed another more finished title to the front. The problem is that Nintendo is really in a hole at the moment so the new CEO has inherited this problem, you really can't blame him for it as he's been in the job less than two months but it will be a baptism of fire for being more transparent in the future.

Still, no Mario game on earth could excuse a $4.5 billion stock drop. I think you'd have to combine the profits of every core mario title ever to come up with that much. What were they expecting?

Around the Network
Dravenet7 said:
I'm sure your torn up about it.

Pretty much any time I see negative Nintendo news data it's always going to be Shark related. Was hilarious a few days ago when nintendo posted a few positive enws articles and then a negative one related to this one shows up, Nintendo can't have any good enws without more bad news.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said:
Dravenet7 said:

Pretty much any time I see negative Nintendo news data it's always going to be Shark related. Was hilarious a few days ago when nintendo posted a few positive enws articles and then a negative one related to this one shows up, Nintendo can't have any good enws without more bad news.

Eh, If he wants to be the bearer of bad news I'm cool with it. Someone eventually would have to do it, or worse in fact no one would report it at all.

Just didn't like that he didn't add his own input, but looking at my own comment, its the pot calling the kettle back type of situation :P. I'll just edit my previous post.

A bit unfortunate, though what really matters is how well the mobile games will preform..

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Considering they were valued at MUCH lower before the DeNA partnership, they're still in very good shape. They'll survive, because the idiotic Japanese investors will flock right back when they hear "mobile" again. Japanese investors know absolutely nothing about the gaming industry.

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

Around the Network
DivinePaladin said:
Considering they were valued at MUCH lower before the DeNA partnership, they're still in very good shape. They'll survive, because the idiotic Japanese investors will flock right back when they hear "mobile" again. Japanese investors know absolutely nothing about the gaming industry.

Well, you cannot blame them when Nintendo"'s core gaming business hasn't been doing that well.

DivinePaladin said:

I agree, even though the smartphone market is currently the biggest industry right now, especially in Japan, Mobile is King! (or just iPhone, where 1 of every 2 smartphone in Japan is iPhone....). But gaming isnt get there yet.

One more thing that im afraid of is dropping in quality and reputation. When you think of Nintendo games, most of people think of high quality & fun games. But now you put those high quality games and make them into a casul free2play. the quality would of course dropped. It's like Bestheda announcing the next Fallout 5 will be a free2play game or Naughty Dog make the Last of Us 2 a smartphone game.

Pokemon however, is the perfect game for mobile since it have always been a "mobie" game. But Mario, Zelda ? That's gonna disappoint a lot of people :(.

Dravenet7 said:

EDIT:

On topic, its predictable. The delay definitely sucks and validates some of the dissatisfaction of some investors, but I find the desire to push for Nintendo IP's on mobile short sighted. Largely because I think that it really won't incentivise people to buy their hardware. Mario on mobile would definitely hold large profits, but I think its shortsighted compared to a social application like Miitomo. Honestly, looking at the value of stock dropping only makes me want to buy some lol.

Nintendo should make Flappy Bird like games imo. Totally new IP that work great on touch screens and are known ONLY to the mobile world. Leave traditional IP on dedicated hardware.

midrange said:
Ljink96 said:
This is gonna be good. Nintendo knows what they're doing. I was furious at them too. Releasing some dumb Mii game. The nerve! But you need to understand that they're trying to reach a different crowd...the casuals. You don't anticipate the casuals, they just show up. They'll come running soon enough. And Nintendo will roll in the dough. Will hardcore fans like it? Heckey naw. But the casuals will eat it up.

The whole mobile crowd is casual. No hardcore gamer will play on a phone.

what Nintendo is doing now however, may not appeal to either given that it does not seem like a game as much as it does a companion/social app.

But you will be surprised whenever you start playing games on your phone.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

peterdavid12345 said:
DivinePaladin said:

I agree, even though the smartphone market is currently the biggest industry right now, especially in Japan, Mobile is King! (or just iPhone, where 1 of every 2 smartphone in Japan is iPhone....). But gaming isnt get there yet.

One more thing that im afraid of is dropping in quality and reputation. When you think of Nintendo games, most of people think of high quality & fun games. But now you put those high quality games and make them into a casul free2play. the quality would of course dropped. It's like Bestheda announcing the next Fallout 5 will be a free2play game or Naughty Dog make the Last of Us 2 a smartphone game.

Pokemon however, is the perfect game for mobile since it have always been a "mobie" game. But Mario, Zelda ? That's gonna disappoint a lot of people :(.

Miitomo is the only f2p game they're doing, everything else will be premium. So no worries there. I expect things akin to Pokemon Shuffle (a f2p mobile game that's currently making Nintendo money in the app stores by way of their partial ownership of the Pokemon license). Plus, to be fair, there's not a similarity between a mobile TLoU2 and a mobile Mario; one is a clear sequel whereas the other is a franchise known for dozens of spin-offs. The Nintendo brand has been built in such a way that mobile could've been a thing for them when smartphones took off had they not taken so long to stop with their conservatism. I'm still 100% positive they'll recoup all this lost value very soon. They'll probably be a good third of the way back to the Wii era by the time Miitomo launches solely by virtue of Japanese investors blindly diving into mobile companies. 

Lawlight said:
DivinePaladin said:
Snip

Well, you cannot blame them when Nintendo"'s core gaming business hasn't been doing that well.

I'm talking about the fact that many of these investors have literally had to ask for an explanation at the investor meetings what games are and how that affects their stock. I wish I could recall the exact quote the one moron had; I'll paraphrase it as "that's good and all, but how does that make me money?" Which would be understandable in some contexts, except in those where the person speaking is throwing money at a volatile market they know literally nothing about and expecting good things. You don't invest without doing research. Seriously, look at the transcripts of some of these meetings, especially the early 2014 ones. It's so painful to see the heads of Nintendo have to explain these basic, timeless games to a bunch of middle aged men. 

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!