By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is "Miitomo" a good idea?

Is Miitomo a good idea?

Yes, because... 115 53.49%

No, because... 99 46.05%

Total:214
spemanig said:
Miyamotoo said:

Kimishima explained that Nintendo started first with Miitomo because a communication app like this was key when people opened accounts. “If we localize it into eight languages,” he said, “we can expand it to over 100 countries.” (The assumption is that we can probably expect the same widespread releases for future apps, too.)

http://kotaku.com/nintendos-bold-predictions-1739577522

To piggy back om this, #4:

In app games are confirmed. AKA, I was right. Miitomo is just the hub for minigames. Miitomo is the terminal for other games.

Nice. Just as we thought.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network
SJReiter said:
No because it will not attract people to Nintendo's dedicated gaming hardware. I thought the whole point of Nintendo's mobile initiative was to attract new users to their own hardware. How in the world is something like Miitomo going to do that? Yeah it features Miis, but no one is going to want to buy a 3DS/Wii U just to mess around with Mii stuff. I just don't see the logic here. That's why they should've at least used some Nintendo character so it could somewhat attract people to other games with that character.

First off, Miis are Nintendo characters.

Second off, Miis are part of the 4th biggest gaming franchises in the world, behind GTA, then Pokemon, then Mario.

Finally, the initiative to get people buying their consoles is not a linear one. The thinking was never intended to be "if we get people to make a Mii on their phone, they'll drop hundreds on a dedicated gaming platform." It's far more complex than that. This is an initiation into the My Nintendo ecosystem. This is being done in steps. Miitomo is the first, absolutely integral, absolutely genius step.

For a second I though it said ''miiamoto'' and thought I like that name for a sec.

Definitely not what I was expecting, and I am sure this particular game wont net them the money they are after.

Australian Gamer (add me if you like)               
NNID: Maraccuda              
PS Network: Maraccuda           

I think this is going to be the Mii Plaza of the new Nintendo Network which is essentially a communication hub with smaller games and a way to communicate albeit slightly with people you pass. So I think this is what MiiTama is meant to be. Because in an article on Kotaku it mentions they want it to be a gateway that is required for the new account system. (And I see others have brought this out.)

And really if I think about this Nintendo never said their first release whould be a game, this is an app, and it seems an app that is required to go along with the new account system.

The other apps they mentioned are going to more than likely be games since they are pay to download.

Around the Network
Maraccuda said:
Definitely not what I was expecting, and I am sure this particular game wont net them the money they are after.

Money isn't the primary motivating factor for mobile. Brand expansion and increased brand awareness is. They've said this multiple times.

That being said, I think this will net them a lot of money. It's just using a different purchase model than most apps. Though I don't like that some clothes need to be purchased. But the purchasing of minigames is going to make them a shit ton of money if priced right. Like they said, they aren't trying to get a few people to spend a lot. They want a lot of people to spend a little.

I can see new mini games being sprinkled out every few months, with the same impact as like that snapchat update. I do think it would be wise to have at least one mini game come free with the app, though. After that, price each at like $1.

spemanig said:
SJReiter said:
No because it will not attract people to Nintendo's dedicated gaming hardware. I thought the whole point of Nintendo's mobile initiative was to attract new users to their own hardware. How in the world is something like Miitomo going to do that? Yeah it features Miis, but no one is going to want to buy a 3DS/Wii U just to mess around with Mii stuff. I just don't see the logic here. That's why they should've at least used some Nintendo character so it could somewhat attract people to other games with that character.

First off, Miis are Nintendo characters.

Second off, Miis are part of the 4th biggest gaming franchises in the world, behind GTA, then Pokemon, then Mario.

Finally, the initiative to get people buying their consoles is not a linear one. The thinking was never intended to be "if we get people to make a Mii on their phone, they'll drop hundreds on a dedicated gaming platform." It's far more complex than that. This is an initiation into the My Nintendo ecosystem. This is being done in steps. Miitomo is the first, absolutely integral, absolutely genius step.

You mean the games that came bundled with consoles and/or controllers? Those "Wii Whatever" games? Yeah that definitely didn't affect their sales numbers at all  Nope.

No one cares about Miis.

SJReiter said:

I see a lot of people with this view that this app is an attempt to get people to buy hardware when in fact it's turning smart phones into a Nintendo platform as well, completely different angle altogether.

potato_hamster said:

You mean the games that came bundled with consoles and/or controllers? Those "Wii Whatever" games? Yeah that definitely didn't affect their sales numbers at all  Nope. No one cares about Miis.

I hope you're being sarcastic.

potato_hamster said:

You mean the games that came bundled with consoles and/or controllers? Those "Wii Whatever" games? Yeah that definitely didn't affect their sales numbers at all  Nope. No one cares about Miis.

Tomodachi Life says otherwise.