By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Do you really need tomatoes to make pizza?

Tagged games:

Can you make pizza without tomato sauce?

Nah man, that would just be cheese on toast 33 47.83%

Yes, tomato sauce is just really common 36 52.17%

Total:69
Ka-pi96 said:
JRPGfan said:
NiKKoM said:
I like how we humans can mess our food up and come up with stuff like this:

Americans butchering italian cuisine? :p

a burger pizza really? reaally?

jk how does it taste?

Pretty sure Dr Oetker is a German company. But yeah sure, blame it on the Americans

Dr Oetker is a German Company but that is a product from the USA and a fairly recent one since it has a lot of the nutrition info on the front of the package that only been around for a couple of years.  Well I was wrong its a German product just watched a review for it on YouTube the back of the package is all in German.  But Dr Oetker is also available in the USA and they do sell regular pizzas by them here.

Around the Network

I love a good white pizza now and then.

I make what I guess is an equivalent of the pizza blanca (we call it blonde pizza) WITH tomato sauce.
We were forced to make one without the tomato (the shops were closed and we had run out of tomatoes :P) and it didn't taste nice. it was really missing the sweet/sour/juicy tomato component and ended up bein too salty and cheesy.....so I guess you do need tomato on pizza.
As for something pizza-like that doesn't use tomato there is flammkuchen/tarte flambee wich is much like a pizza but uses a creamy sauce as it's base instead of tomato sauce. It's much heavier though.

pretty sure alot of pizza places now do pizzas with a bbq base insteaad of tomato, so probably no you dont need tomato.

Ka-pi96 said:
Xenostar said:
pretty sure alot of pizza places now do pizzas with a bbq base insteaad of tomato, so probably no you dont need tomato.

BBQ sauce is made with tomatoes. So yeah, they still need tomato

Interesting, i never actually thought what goes into a bbq sauce.

Anyone tried a mayo based pizza?

Around the Network

No tomartos in chinese pizza and it's not good pizza.

Yes it's still a pizza, i'm italian

I like pizza with cream cheese and spinache. I don't care if you call that pizza or not. I mean, technically, only the real pizza margherita is the original. So everything with meat on it or peppers or mushrooms or whatever isn't technically a true pizza. But who the hell cares? I call pizza whatever the hell I want to call a pizza!

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

I don´t think they´re essential, but they´re important in many pizza recipes, either as a sauce or in slices.

My city has a high population of pizza lovers and thousands of pizzerias, some of our traditional/common pizza toppings that do not have tomatoes :
- Chicken with Catupiry Cream Cheese
- Broccolli/Endive with Cream Cheese
- Corn & Bacon
- Tuna & Oregano
- Chocolate
- Banana with Condensed Milk
- Guava paste & White Cheese

etc. etc. etc.

Xenostar said:

Most if not all BBQ sauces contain tomatoes.