By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Do you really need tomatoes to make pizza?

Tagged games:

Can you make pizza without tomato sauce?

Nah man, that would just be cheese on toast 33 47.83%

Yes, tomato sauce is just really common 36 52.17%

Total:69
Cloudman said:
FunFan said:
The real question is: Can you make pizza without cheese?

Isn't that a style of Pizza...? o: I think there was a pizza I had where it was just a ton of tomato sauce and no cheese.

Thats the most horrifying story I have ever heard!

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

Around the Network
FunFan said:
Cloudman said:
FunFan said:

Isn't that a style of Pizza...? o: I think there was a pizza I had where it was just a ton of tomato sauce and no cheese.

Thats the most horrifying story I have ever heard!

The pizza I was thinking was deep dish, and I lied. It has cheese in it. Just on the inside... : X

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

COKTOE said:
I know of 2 pizzas from 2 different places that use no tomatoes. #1 Irish pizza from the Copper Kettle. Uses pesto as a base instead of tomato sauce. #2 Pierogy pizza from Trifon's. Uses sour cream as a base. I'm sure there are more, but those are 2 I know of, and have tried. So no, I suppose you don't need tomatoes.

A pizza inspired by pierogi? My God, I have to see it. Can you give me a link to this mad invention?

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

FunFan said:

Yes. My favourite pizzeria (the one that makes the pizza I mentioned above) serves a pizza with: passata di pomodoro, aglio, origano, prezzemolo, olio d'oliva (tomatoe sauce, garlic, oregano, parsley, olive oil). It's the most basic option they have and I am actually tempted to try it out, since everything they make is all kinds of awesome.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

If you want to get technical no you don't need tomatoes to make a pizza. Pizza was being made a while before Tomatoes were even used in cooking. It wasn't until the non-poisonous version, tomatoes are a member of the nightshade family of plants, were found in NA that tomatoes started to be even used in cooking. And then it took a nut to start eating them, since they were just considered poisonous just because of their familiar relations.

Around the Network
Cloudman said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Isn't BBQ sauce made from tomatoes as well though?

I'm... not really sure o:

Yes it is. At it very base BBQ sauce is just Ketchup with Molasses, or brown sugar, added and other spices to taste.

Scisca said:
COKTOE said:
I know of 2 pizzas from 2 different places that use no tomatoes. #1 Irish pizza from the Copper Kettle. Uses pesto as a base instead of tomato sauce. #2 Pierogy pizza from Trifon's. Uses sour cream as a base. I'm sure there are more, but those are 2 I know of, and have tried. So no, I suppose you don't need tomatoes.

A pizza inspired by pierogi? My God, I have to see it. Can you give me a link to this mad invention?

Wish i could find a pic, but not having any luck. Here is a link to a pic of the menu. Perogy Pizzazz. Top right hand side. At least it gives you the ingredients. And that's not a typo. That's how we spell Pierogy. Not sure, but I think it's a regional thing as opposed to Canada-wide. http://www.trifons.com/assets/Documents/moose-jaw-MENU.pdf

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

yes otherwise its a german pizza called Flammkuchen

I am pretty sure pizza is older than the use of tomato in italy

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Tomato sauce is essential but fresh tomatoes, hell no! They just steal away the taste. Anyway, you don't even know good pizza before eating at a pizza restaurant in northern Finland :)