By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PC Gaming vs Console Gaming

What do you prefer

Console 191 67.02%

PC 94 32.98%

Total:285

I like both.

Console's hassle free gaming is very nice sometimes.

Also, PC only recently got a quality wireless controller (xone's). It's no fun playing on an old 360 controller when you know there's better out there. In terms of comfy couch gaming, console are far more accessible and more relaxing.

PC graphics can't be touched, not even close. Some games are breathtaking, while console will always have some sacrifice, be it frame rate, shadow quality, something, AF, effects, etc.. There's always some graphical defect you have to "deal" with on consoles. Always has been and it hasn't changed this gen. So many games, while looking good, have some major distraction that you have to get over. This gen, there are way too many low res shadows, and inferior AA which is glaring at times and still no consistent 30 FPS.

A lot of multiplat games games have much larger multiplayer user bases on consoles.

I prefer console exclusives but obviously the the most popular exclusives (DOTA, LoL, etc.) are on PC.

I say get a console and build a PC.

Around the Network
Pemalite said:

There is no agenda. I just dislike false information. :)
Also impressive and clean set-up.

You bring up some valid points about Multi-Screen gaming.

I too thought the bezels would annoy me, find it hard to focus on a single screen...
Eventually you learn to focus on the central screen and your peripheral vision picks up the action on your side panels.
Eventually your brain turns off to the fact  there are even bezels present.
I have been eyefinity gaming since the Radeon 6000 series of GPU's released which would be almost a half decade ago now.

Is it for everyone? Hell no. Nor would I expect everyone to jump aboard.
There is a stupidly large cost involved in terms of initial set-up and the need to upgrade to the highest-end components available on the market which also requires a degree of technical capability both for the hardware and software.

As for a 1080P projector... Not to be a resolution snob... But I cannot stand 1080P and below, that's a last century resolution :P
I endure it for a few console exclusive titles, but overall, prefer 1440P - 4k gaming.
Nothing stops you from getting 3x - 6x projectors though... ;)
Personally I dislike projectors due to their poor performance in area's with substantual amounts of light.

I prefer to game in a nearly dark room, best shadow detail and nothing but the screen in your sight :) As for 1080p, it's fine on aprojector, you don't sit right on top of it. Sure, it could be better yet overlapping projectors is not something I want. Even if you can get it seamless you still have an area with overlap and thus decreased black level. (Nevermind quadrupling the amount of fan noise over your head!) I'm waiting for 4K projectors to become affordable before upgrading anything.

At least it won't be a total shock going to VR from 1080p blown up to wall size :) The resolution is still going to take a big hit, OR is about the same as sitting at half screen width from my projector, even a bit closer. That's some big pixels to get over 90 degree fov.

That setup was stupid expensive too yet I spend most my money on good speakers which will last decades. It's a shame that sound almost always gets overlooked in reviews. I recently watched Max Max Fury road, yeah it's only 1080p, but the sound :) It was almost 2 weeks ago yet I'm still energized by it lol. (hard to get the house all to myself to 'burn off the dust from the amp') Insterstellar, kinda a noisy mess in the IMAX theater I went to, pure bliss at home.

Games still have a way to go to reach that level of energy. It's fun when they try. The witcher 3 has adaptive music yet sometimes seemed to get stuck in an loop, battle music ending about 5 times in a row in slight variations. I was hoping KZ SF was the start of next gen sound, with MADDER real time sound reflections, yet seems we're back to the standard filters again. 1080p might seem old to you, yet I'm tired of those default sound effects, filters and badly balanced sound effects in general. Where's my 96khz / 192khz gaming!

Anyway you found your way with eyefinity. I've been into projectors since my university days. First one was a second hand CRT projector which I played FF7 on. Talk about low res :) It also accepted upto 800x600 from PC which was pretty decent at the time. Start trek Elite force was a lot of fun on that. And no lag with CRT, shutter glasses simply worked on anything. Not everything is better nowadays.

SvennoJ said:

I prefer to game in a nearly dark room, best shadow detail and nothing but the screen in your sight :) As for 1080p, it's fine on aprojector, you don't sit right on top of it. Sure, it could be better yet overlapping projectors is not something I want. Even if you can get it seamless you still have an area with overlap and thus decreased black level. (Nevermind quadrupling the amount of fan noise over your head!) I'm waiting for 4K projectors to become affordable before upgrading anything.

At least it won't be a total shock going to VR from 1080p blown up to wall size :) The resolution is still going to take a big hit, OR is about the same as sitting at half screen width from my projector, even a bit closer. That's some big pixels to get over 90 degree fov.

That setup was stupid expensive too yet I spend most my money on good speakers which will last decades. It's a shame that sound almost always gets overlooked in reviews. I recently watched Max Max Fury road, yeah it's only 1080p, but the sound :) It was almost 2 weeks ago yet I'm still energized by it lol. (hard to get the house all to myself to 'burn off the dust from the amp') Insterstellar, kinda a noisy mess in the IMAX theater I went to, pure bliss at home.

Games still have a way to go to reach that level of energy. It's fun when they try. The witcher 3 has adaptive music yet sometimes seemed to get stuck in an loop, battle music ending about 5 times in a row in slight variations. I was hoping KZ SF was the start of next gen sound, with MADDER real time sound reflections, yet seems we're back to the standard filters again. 1080p might seem old to you, yet I'm tired of those default sound effects, filters and badly balanced sound effects in general. Where's my 96khz / 192khz gaming!

Anyway you found your way with eyefinity. I've been into projectors since my university days. First one was a second hand CRT projector which I played FF7 on. Talk about low res :) It also accepted upto 800x600 from PC which was pretty decent at the time. Start trek Elite force was a lot of fun on that. And no lag with CRT, shutter glasses simply worked on anything. Not everything is better nowadays.

Yeah. Sound is a big one that often gets overlooked.
The PC has taken multiple steps backwards in that regard... Aureal A3D was the pinnicle in Hardware accellerated 3D audio, Creative initiated a lawsuit, lost, but the financial damage was done. PC Audiophiles everywhere cried.
Then Creative stagnated for years and became irrellevant.
Microsoft then ditched hardware accellerated Audio starting with Vista.

And thanks to an abundance of integrated "good enough" Audio, many people just don't seem to care enough about it outside of Audiophiles and Enthusiasts these days, which is sad, it used to be "the thing" when Sound Blaster first burst onto the scene.

I used to run a 7.2 set-up, but due to space, had to downgrade to a couple of book shelfs, looking to upgrade though once I shift house.

I also never gamed at 800x600. I was lucky that even in the late 90's I had SLI Voodoo 2's. :)

mochachino said:
I like both.

Console's hassle free gaming is very nice sometimes.

Also, PC only recently got a quality wireless controller (xone's). It's no fun playing on an old 360 controller when you know there's better out there. In terms of comfy couch gaming, console are far more accessible and more relaxing.

PC has had wireless controllers for several decades. :P

Logitech experimented with Bluetooth controllers in the early 2000's.

And you had Infrared controllers before that, which were less than ideal.
It's not a new concept by any means.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:

Yeah. Sound is a big one that often gets overlooked.
The PC has taken multiple steps backwards in that regard... Aureal A3D was the pinnicle in Hardware accellerated 3D audio, Creative initiated a lawsuit, lost, but the financial damage was done. PC Audiophiles everywhere cried.
Then Creative stagnated for years and became irrellevant.
Microsoft then ditched hardware accellerated Audio starting with Vista.

And thanks to an abundance of integrated "good enough" Audio, many people just don't seem to care enough about it outside of Audiophiles and Enthusiasts these days, which is sad, it used to be "the thing" when Sound Blaster first burst onto the scene.

I used to run a 7.2 set-up, but due to space, had to downgrade to a couple of book shelfs, looking to upgrade though once I shift house.

I also never gamed at 800x600. I was lucky that even in the late 90's I had SLI Voodoo 2's. :)

That CRT projector had a maximum of 600 scanlines, couldn't handle any higher. Small price to pay for on wall gaming in the late 90's.

PC audio is a shame nowadays indeed. It used to be at the fore front. And now it's up to EA to bring something new...
http://blog.dolby.com/2015/05/dolby-atmos-coming-to-star-wars-battlefront/
I rather see higher quality sound recording first than simply throwing more speakers at it. Dolby Atmos is easy for games anyway, it's basically attaching location info to each seperate sound and let the amp figure it out. Unless they have a soundcard in mind for pc you can connect 12 speakers to.

SvennoJ said:

^ That agenda :p

I don't care about a multi monitor setup. I used it a few times and I'm either only looking at one screen or get annoyed wih the seams. Even for work I found it rather pointless. I guess I could have used an extra screen while playing Elite Dangerous as I was spending about as much time alt-tabbed on the forums while creating a travel log. I played it on my laptop whenever I had a bit of time, no room to connect another monitor. Just had enough space for the wiiU gamepad with Netflix. (That game has some serious downtime lol, space is big)

I've been gaming on this setup since end 2006.

9 years later and it's still awesome. Consoles are perfectly adequate for that, especially this gen. I only need more shelves :) I hardly ever move the PC over anymore since I got a ps4. The last game I played on that on PC was Fract OSC. If you want immersive gaming, just get a projector. 1080p projectors are not expensive anymore and work with everything, unlike a triple monitor setup.

It's the pefect place to relax at night. The PC can stay at the work desk.

That's pretty nice, I gotta say.  I use the same 42 inch TV for all my consoles, cable box, and my PC. It's mounted to a wall right behind my desk.  So at that distance, it's large, but still within my field of vision. I can comfortably work on anything productive like office or photoshop, etc.  And I can switch the video input to the PS4 or something and lean back in my desk chair fairly comfortably.  But if I really feel like relaxing, there's a couch behind my desk chair.  I just roll the chair out of the way, and plug my mouse/keyboard/XBone pad into a USB hub an extension cable that I've run through my basement ceiling.  It's a small room I have set up, so even back on the couch, my 42 inch TV doesn't look too small.  Audio is nothing too fancy.  Just 5.1 through the HDMI port on my video card.

Around the Network
CladInShadows said:

That's pretty nice, I gotta say.  I use the same 42 inch TV for all my consoles, cable box, and my PC. It's mounted to a wall right behind my desk.  So at that distance, it's large, but still within my field of vision. I can comfortably work on anything productive like office or photoshop, etc.  And I can switch the video input to the PS4 or something and lean back in my desk chair fairly comfortably.  But if I really feel like relaxing, there's a couch behind my desk chair.  I just roll the chair out of the way, and plug my mouse/keyboard/XBone pad into a USB hub an extension cable that I've run through my basement ceiling.  It's a small room I have set up, so even back on the couch, my 42 inch TV doesn't look too small.  Audio is nothing too fancy.  Just 5.1 through the HDMI port on my video card.

That's a great hybrid setup. When I started working and still lived on my own in student housing, I had a 19" monitor on my desk on one side, tv on the other, and the wall behind it painted white for a second hand CRT projector. Also with USB extension cables to sit on my bed to play on the projector. (it was a very small apartment) The disadvantage of growing up, pc and tv/entertainement in different rooms. More so since pc became work.
It was 4 concrete walls so sound options were a bit limited (subwoofer wavelengths didn't even fit between the walls) Not that that stopped me from shaking the room up. I wasn't a very good neighbour lol. Yet I lived directly under the runway of the biggest airport, it wasn't exactly a quiet zone. A lerge cargo plane working hard to take off during the right movie, now that's surround sound!

SvennoJ said:

That's a great hybrid setup. When I started working and still lived on my own in student housing, I had a 19" monitor on my desk on one side, tv on the other, and the wall behind it painted white for a second hand CRT projector. Also with USB extension cables to sit on my bed to play on the projector. (it was a very small apartment) The disadvantage of growing up, pc and tv/entertainement in different rooms. More so since pc became work.
It was 4 concrete walls so sound options were a bit limited (subwoofer wavelengths didn't even fit between the walls) Not that that stopped me from shaking the room up. I wasn't a very good neighbour lol. Yet I lived directly under the runway of the biggest airport, it wasn't exactly a quiet zone. A lerge cargo plane working hard to take off during the right movie, now that's surround sound!

Yeah, I hear ya about growing up.  This is my basement setup, though.  We do have a larger TV upstairs on the main floor. And I will sometimes carry the Wii U up and down the stairs, depending on where we want to game.  I've been given all the freedom I need to transform this basement space into my nerd den.  The adjacent room has a board gaming table I built as well.  Just a nice little place I can nerd out and relax.

It's a work in progress though.  I'll likely replace the shitty couch with a recliner or two.  And maybe replace the ikea shelves with some that I make myself.