By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Halo 5 will sell 7.3 Million this year (Prediction)

Will it?

Yes 126 10.05%

No 438 34.93%

Maybe 93 7.42%

You're crazy 317 25.28%

I don't know 24 1.91%

Halo is dead 225 17.94%

team chief 24 1.91%

team locke 7 0.56%

Total:1,254
Miguel_Zorro said:
Please don't quote the entire thread in your posts.

Thank you.

I was trying to understand this, but swordfish came to my rescue.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
SWORDF1SH said:
jason1637 said:
SWORDF1SH said:

Link? Where does this info come from?

And why would Christmas raise the digital attach rate?

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=211134&page=3

Link the single post!

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=7657194

DonFerrari said:
AsGryffynn said:
DonFerrari said:
tabbi said:

as i said i just used some easy to calculte number to show the pattern
but it does nott matter, if the dd attachrate for one region is some % higher or lower. it does not chance the math. just the numbers. same goes for the % installbase by each region.

you could use whatever numbers you want as your own reasonable estimates and the % overall digital attrachte will not change by more than 2 or 3%
but this is only good for digital attachrates. digital tie ratios or overall digital sales are a different story. we would need more data we don't have to make any educated guess.

p.s this has nothing to do with a possible halo 5 digital attachrate. i don't know that number. no1 knows that number excpet microsoft

So you are just throwing numbers on the wind that end up putting attach ratio bigger for X1? ok. So it's just useless.

AsGryffynn said:
DonFerrari said:
AsGryffynn said:

Have you forgotten what we saw the last page? The link I provided said digital attach rates are up, not that physical sales are down. When you use both links, it paints the console and average picture. Both can allow us to infer the estimated attach rates of both.

You are still confusing a bigger number of people buying digital at least once with how much they buy against retail versions. The study doesn't come close to solving it.

No. Reconcile both. It paints a rough picture of who's more likely to buy a digital version of a game. It is not a fact, but it's the closest we can obtain until we have hard numbers for at least one digital XONE game (we have for UK Ori, but that's the UK, where they were at around 100,000 a few weeks after release).

My digital H5 estimates are at around 33 to 38 percent...

Ok, I can live with it being just guesswork and you assuming it is. Just strange that it would jump from average 10 and highest being on 20% to 38%, but ok.

Hence why I provided low to high end estimates. I am sure it wasn't the huge over the top numbers some of us seem to believe, but I am sure 20 percent was too low for a launch title everyone and their mother was trying to obtain before the release date. Not to mention it aligns rather well with my Ori estimates...

http://steamspy.com/app/261570

It is inconceivable it sold better on PC, since the game has more outputs on the XONE and all Xbox One and PC games sell better on the former. In other words, right now, it is over 450,000+ and odds are, past the million mark now. At 33 percent, digital sales hover around 600,000 downloads and if my Ori estimates were right back then (roughly the current PC estimates), then it fits with the MS claim that H5 was their best selling digital game...

Your low end is bigger than everything else we have seem by 70% ... and how Ori that is a digital game basically have to do with this?

Anyway way the only reason I see people trying to put very high digital attach ratios to this title is to make it seem bigger sales numbers and look like the game didn't underperformed. But seeing how much it dropped in NPD, no matter how much we push exceptional digital sales the franchise have sold a lot less than what was predicted in OP.

33 percent is higher than what you have, unless you're sticking with the 20 percent average, I don't see how...

As for the digital sales of Ori, it has a lot... Halo 5 outsold the digital only IP in XBL. Since Xbox One numbers are higher for the XONE than they are for PC, this shows that Ori and the Blind Forest sold at least 450,000+ downloads in XBL and Halo 5 outdid that.

As for it underperforming... beneath anyone's expectations? Yes. Beneath the average? No. Shall I remind you that Halo 4 had an audience nearly 6 times the size and it relied on that to sell the same number as three, Reach and ODST?

If someone's to blame, it's 343. I myself separated them from Bungie. They are new guys and are not used to dealing with Halo, so I expect a rebound soon. If there's none, then the series died and it's ossified. Time for a reboot...

Chris Hu said:
CosmicSex said:
Going into this I remember predicting 5 million and saying that I thought I was being optimistic. Halo 5 didn't sell well when you look at past titles. This kinda reminds me of how Forza just collapsed. I think its time for them to establish some new franchises. I fear that Gears 4 will be down too.

Also all Forza games on the X1 have way higher attachment rates then any of the Forza games on the 360 by that standard its actually a more popular fanchise then it ever was on the 360.  Plus it sold a whole lot more digitally since on the 360 only the two Horizon games and the F&F arcade game are available digitally.

Not sure of that, but after rereading weekly sales, it seems Forza 6 performed more or less the same as Driveclub, and that was a flop for distinctly unrelated reasons (horrible reviews and scores) rather than sales.

jason1637 said:
SWORDF1SH said:
jason1637 said:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=211134&page=3

Link the single post!

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=7657194

O so you took week one sales with digital from Halo bundles  to get your 36% and expect it that trend to continue? Not only is it wrong using launch figures to form a long term trend, youre using a US trend and applying it to worldwide sales. There's is so much wrong with this opinion that I do not know where to begin.

AsGryffynn said:
DonFerrari said:
AsGryffynn said:

Hence why I provided low to high end estimates. I am sure it wasn't the huge over the top numbers some of us seem to believe, but I am sure 20 percent was too low for a launch title everyone and their mother was trying to obtain before the release date. Not to mention it aligns rather well with my Ori estimates...

It is inconceivable it sold better on PC, since the game has more outputs on the XONE and all Xbox One and PC games sell better on the former. In other words, right now, it is over 450,000+ and odds are, past the million mark now. At 33 percent, digital sales hover around 600,000 downloads and if my Ori estimates were right back then (roughly the current PC estimates), then it fits with the MS claim that H5 was their best selling digital game...

Your low end is bigger than everything else we have seem by 70% ... and how Ori that is a digital game basically have to do with this?

Anyway way the only reason I see people trying to put very high digital attach ratios to this title is to make it seem bigger sales numbers and look like the game didn't underperformed. But seeing how much it dropped in NPD, no matter how much we push exceptional digital sales the franchise have sold a lot less than what was predicted in OP.

33 percent is higher than what you have, unless you're sticking with the 20 percent average, I don't see how...

As for the digital sales of Ori, it has a lot... Halo 5 outsold the digital only IP in XBL. Since Xbox One numbers are higher for the XONE than they are for PC, this shows that Ori and the Blind Forest sold at least 450,000+ downloads in XBL and Halo 5 outdid that.

As for it underperforming... beneath anyone's expectations? Yes. Beneath the average? No. Shall I remind you that Halo 4 had an audience nearly 6 times the size and it relied on that to sell the same number as three, Reach and ODST?

If someone's to blame, it's 343. I myself separated them from Bungie. They are new guys and are not used to dealing with Halo, so I expect a rebound soon. If there's none, then the series died and it's ossified. Time for a reboot...

33% is 60% higher than the ceiling we saw from destiny and we have no real info to tell it on LTD.

How can we be sure that Ori sold more on X1 than on PC? And 450k of Halo 5 (which does include the bundled codes) is a lot different than the 1M+ direct sells on XBL that some are trying to push.

Halo 3 had less of a install base and still outsold Halo 5 more than 2:1, install base isn't everything for a solid and established IP. Halo 1-4 sales have a consistency that Halo 5 falls well under.

And yes 343 and missuse (several revamps, packs, etc made it almost a yearly franchise) are to blame.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
AsGryffynn said:
DonFerrari said:
AsGryffynn said:

33% is 60% higher than the ceiling we saw from destiny and we have no real info to tell it on LTD.

How can we be sure that Ori sold more on X1 than on PC? And 450k of Halo 5 (which does include the bundled codes) is a lot different than the 1M+ direct sells on XBL that some are trying to push.

Halo 3 had less of a install base and still outsold Halo 5 more than 2:1, install base isn't everything for a solid and established IP. Halo 1-4 sales have a consistency that Halo 5 falls well under.

And yes 343 and missuse (several revamps, packs, etc made it almost a yearly franchise) are to blame.

Out of curiosity, what was Destiny's ceiling... for the Xbox One?

How can we? Precedent. It seems to happen more often than not. That Ori sold better in PC or Steam is a rarity in and on itself. Look at Titanfall, Ryse, D4, Dead Rising 3... all of them on SteamSpy and all of them with half the XONE sales at most... Even the physical Titanfall fell short of the XBO version.

Well, I am not pushing for 1M+ sales. My estimate is around 550,000-600,000+ and it ties in neatly with the above average 33 percent digital sales rate I had, since the preloading incentive translated into more people than normal downloading the game...

As for Halo 3, are you really comparing the end of an arc created by Bungie to the middle point of one created by 343i? Please, no game will ever outsell Halo 3.

Honestly, the best comparisons are ALL HALOS but Halo 3. After all, Halo 1 was the original and the second only performed better with more players and no digital sales. Halo 4 performed as well as Halo 3 on an 81M+ audience. How are you expecting Halo 5 to cope with either of them when they were either the new game that revolutionized shooters, the sequel to said game or on a larger audience? Adjusted for audience differences (or alternatively, what if Halo 4 had released on only 20 million Xbox 360s) the game outperformed Halo 4. This is hardly rule bending. I am just telling you to bear the circumstances surrounding all games in mind.

I agree with 343i not faring well though. It will take a while for them to take up Bungie's mantle and take the IP in their own direction...

AsGryffynn said:
DonFerrari said:
AsGryffynn said:
DonFerrari said:
AsGryffynn said:

How can we? Precedent. It seems to happen more often than not. That Ori sold better in PC or Steam is a rarity in and on itself. Look at Titanfall, Ryse, D4, Dead Rising 3... all of them on SteamSpy and all of them with half the XONE sales at most... Even the physical Titanfall fell short of the XBO version.

Well, I am not pushing for 1M+ sales. My estimate is around 550,000-600,000+ and it ties in neatly with the above average 33 percent digital sales rate I had, since the preloading incentive translated into more people than normal downloading the game...

As for Halo 3, are you really comparing the end of an arc created by Bungie to the middle point of one created by 343i? Please, no game will ever outsell Halo 3.

Honestly, the best comparisons are ALL HALOS but Halo 3. After all, Halo 1 was the original and the second only performed better with more players and no digital sales. Halo 4 performed as well as Halo 3 on an 81M+ audience. How are you expecting Halo 5 to cope with either of them when they were either the new game that revolutionized shooters, the sequel to said game or on a larger audience? Adjusted for audience differences (or alternatively, what if Halo 4 had released on only 20 million Xbox 360s) the game outperformed Halo 4. This is hardly rule bending. I am just telling you to bear the circumstances surrounding all games in mind.

I agree with 343i not faring well though. It will take a while for them to take up Bungie's mantle and take the IP in their own direction...

You Cannot Underestimate the power of Origin, because this site can have Sales numbers in the same level or even better than Steam.

TitanFall, were give for free on Origin, and had 5EU$ sales on Xbox Store, you Cannot compare a game that had a Stupid Low price Sales, or a Indie game that already have a Low price, to make a % of Digital Attach rate for a Console, Go sell BloodBorne, for 5EU$ and see if it dont Surpass 10 Millions of sales (they Said "Players" dont know if also 10 Millions are via EA Acess).

and how you Know how Ori and the Blind Florest sold ?, they only said the game was Profitable in the First Week (for the Publisher Microsoft) , Rocket League was not a 2 Millions Budget game ?, so i dont see Ori, being anywhere more than 4 Millions, the game is Digital Only, and the Plataform that Launched was of the Publisher, so 100% of the Money of the Xbox Version, were in Microsoft's hands, and 70% of the Pc Version, were on Microsoft's hands, if the game sold.

Even if Microsoft, paid 100% of the game, just 200K-250K, from Pc, and Xbox One, together already would be anought to turn into a Profit, and if the game have the Same Budget of Rocket League, so 100k-125k, already would be Enought for a Profit, and if Microsoft, did not Fully paid the game so they would need even less sales to have Profit from the game, Microsoft, is not Clear with Sale Numbers, they just Claim the Numbers that can make They  Seems like "We Win", Like this "We sell Really bad this week, but last week we did worse, so lets use the Increase % that we get from last week to Now, dont use the Actual Numbers and PR, that we Increase our sales  up 70% from Past Sales".

Swordmasterman said:
AsGryffynn said:

You Cannot Underestimate the power of Origin, because this site can have Sales numbers in the same level or even better than Steam.

TitanFall, were give for free on Origin, and had 5EU$ sales on Xbox Store, you Cannot compare a game that had a Stupid Low price Sales, or a Indie game that already have a Low price, to make a % of Digital Attach rate for a Console, Go sell BloodBorne, for 5EU$ and see if it dont Surpass 10 Millions of sales (they Said "Players" dont know if also 10 Millions are via EA Acess).

and how you Know how Ori and the Blind Florest sold ?, they only said the game was Profitable in the First Week (for the Publisher Microsoft) , Rocket League was not a 2 Millions Budget game ?, so i dont see Ori, being anywhere more than 4 Millions, the game is Digital Only, and the Plataform that Launched was of the Publisher, so 100% of the Money of the Xbox Version, were in Microsoft's hands, and 70% of the Pc Version, were on Microsoft's hands, if the game sold.

Even if Microsoft, paid 100% of the game, just 200K-250K, from Pc, and Xbox One, together already would be anought to turn into a Profit, and if the game have the Same Budget of Rocket League, so 100k-125k, already would be Enought for a Profit, and if Microsoft, did not Fully paid the game so they would need even less sales to have Profit from the game, Microsoft, is not Clear with Sale Numbers, they just Claim the Numbers that can make They  Seems like "We Win", Like this "We sell Really bad this week, but last week we did worse, so lets use the Increase % that we get from last week to Now, dont use the Actual Numbers and PR, that we Increase our sales  up 70% from Past Sales".

I can't speak for Origin, but I can safely say that, at least on Steam, the game sold nearly 500,000 units and, for Steam alone at least, the XBL sales outsell them for all games... So I can say that the Steam sales are the minimum Ori sold on the XONE, whereas the H5 sales are higher than that.

I never mentioned budget either. All I know is that games on PC and the XONE sell better on the XONE, even when only counting digital sales, so the 455,000 from SteamSpy are a bare bones minimum for Ori sales and, hence, for H5 digital sales...

On the note of the install base. Halo 4 sold around 10% of the 360s install base while halo 5 sold around 15% of the X1 install base as of dec 12th if we only include retail.

jason1637 said:

On the note of the install base. Halo 4 sold around 10% of the 360s install base while halo 5 sold around 15% of the X1 install base as of dec 12th if we only include retail.

Makes sense most people who still went x1 this gen are more likely to be halo fans. Even my friend who was super pissed about the drm thing was conflicted. He didn't want to go x1 but he didn't want to lose halo.