By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Is VGChartz facing an impending crash?

golfgt170 said:
Everyday i check the site for updated numbers... But i lost interested since all i see here is everything except sales numbers :/

So all i do is: www.vgchartz.com, check if the numbers are updated(they aren't), close tab

Then how did you wind up here, pray tell?

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
Cloudman said:

I think it's really hard to follow comments when you get many likes and shares. I've tried leaving comments on tumblr posts before, but it never worked out. I would use tumblr for my own individual hub though.

I think the Mother 4 blog does a decent job of it.

Honestly though, I wouldn't actually completely leave the site. I just would post like 90% less threads.

Yeah the way things are going with a good number of aspects of this site currently are not sustainable in the long term, or even in the short term. That doesn't mean I've given up hope ofcourse. It just means that I need to try harder to improve the site and be safe in the knowledge others are doing their best, too. Indeed a snippet from my interview with Axum (to be uploaded very soon) sums it up nicely:

"To me VGC needs to have something to differentiate itself from other places; something which brings you back to it. For me that's the great community; the diverse group of truly great guys we have on the site which make it a genuinely enjoyable place to be. If there's something I can do to help out these people or to diversify that content on offer, such as with what we are doing right now...I'm more than happy to do it."

The good news is that I have faith things won't remain as they are, because things are in motion to improve the site for all of you here. It's frustrating to say "patience" and to not be able to do more but, you guys make the site and I understand your frustration. We all do; if not moreso. Hopefully we will look back at this low point and laugh soon enough.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Machina said:
SWORDF1SH said:
It's should be VGForums now. That's all I come here for. Even the latest news turns up in the forums before the news section on this site. Sometimes, I swear the VGC writers use the forums to get the latest news and just cover it with their own article.

I think whenever I've taken something directly from the forums I've given a nod to the user who made the thread.

Forums are naturally faster than all but press release feed sites tbh. There are far more users than writers by a long stretch, and writing up a story and properly editing it takes a lot more time and effort than simply copy/pasting the article and adding a link at the end (i.e. plagiarism), and sites need to spread their content out rather than just spamming it all up straight away. It's why gaming news sites like VG24/7, Gamespot, EG, VG, etc. will often post stories that are 'old'.

As for VGC, it's easy to carp from the sidelines but someone like Will dedicates several hours a day to posting news on the site. His and others' efforts being rubbished in a quick throwaway post from someone who's contributed nothing to the site makes me pretty angry.

The sales stuff being so far behind is ridiculous and deserves to be criticised heavily, but that is not the responsibility of the writing team, which is largely volunteer-based and does a great job of keeping the front page constantly active.

As Tor said above, he and I have reasons to be hopeful the sales situation can be turned around soon, but I'm not going to make any announcements or promises until I'm certain I can keep my word.

You need to cool it a little. I'm praising the forum and it's members rather than having a dig at the writers. These guys are on the ball with everything.

And no need to have a go at me. I might only be 1 member that "contributes nothing", but the members and community are what keeps this site afloat. That dig was unnecessary

Machina said:

I think whenever I've taken something directly from the forums I've given a nod to the user who made the thread.

Forums are naturally faster than all but press release feed sites tbh. There are far more users than writers by a long stretch, and writing up a story and properly editing it takes a lot more time and effort than simply copy/pasting the article and adding a link at the end (i.e. plagiarism), and sites need to spread their content out rather than just spamming it all up straight away. It's why gaming news sites like VG24/7, Gamespot, EG, VG, etc. will often post stories that are 'old'.

As for VGC, it's easy to carp from the sidelines but someone like Will dedicates several hours a day to posting news on the site. His and others' efforts being rubbished in a quick throwaway post from someone who's contributed nothing to the site makes me pretty angry.

The sales stuff being so far behind is ridiculous and deserves to be criticised heavily, but that is not the responsibility of the writing team, which is largely volunteer-based and does a great job of keeping the front page constantly active.

As Tor said above, he and I have reasons to be hopeful the sales situation can be turned around soon, but I'm not going to make any announcements or promises until I'm certain I can keep my word.

I definitely agree here. The writing team is fantastic, especially for something volenteer based.

EDIT: Except for the crossed out, obviously.

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
Bring back the real database!

This! People complain about numbers, but not being able to update my damn collection is not any better.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

spemanig said:

I've definitely given up on the sales of this site. I made one last hope thread, but now I really don't care. It's a forum, now. I've honestly even been thinking of making a Tumblr blog to mark my thoughts on the industry instead of making them threads here. At least there it can build a resume and encourage me to care about the grammar and editing.

VGC's problem isn't just keeping up to date - it's modernizing. It's out of date in so many ways, both inside and outside of sales data; the lack of digital sales being my biggest issue. It doesn't matter how unfeasible it is. It's a large and relevant part of the industry that there is no intent on covering adequetely. I'm sure the issues are complicated and there is an effort behind the scenes to fix some of it, but good intentions only matter so much. Results or bust.

You should do a blog, you'd be very good at it. I know we had that stupid argument the other day but you are very intelligent, knowledgeable in gaming and excellent at writing. That's just my opinion ;)

Machina said:
SWORDF1SH said:
Machina said:
SWORDF1SH said:
It's should be VGForums now. That's all I come here for. Even the latest news turns up in the forums before the news section on this site. Sometimes, I swear the VGC writers use the forums to get the latest news and just cover it with their own article.

You need to cool it a little. I'm praising the forum and it's members rather than having a dig at the writers. These guys are on the ball with everything.

And no need to have a go at me. I might only be 1 member that "contributes nothing", but the members and community are what keeps this site afloat. That dig was unnecessary

I feel fully justified in the tone of my post given the tone of your post.

Think whatever you want. You already made it clear what you think of the average member.

I think I explained exactly what I meant in my second post, ignore it if you must.

I'm here for the bitches... 😌

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence
SWORDF1SH said:

You should do a blog, you'd be very good at it. I know we had that stupid argument the other day but you are very intelligent, knowledgeable in gaming and excellent at writing. That's just my opinion ;)

Thank you! That's very kind of you.

Don't worry. I never take anything said here personally. We're all passionate people with different opinions. Only children hold grudges over silly things like that. I like just about everyone here. And if I don't like someone, I'm just indifferent.