By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Buying Wii U now, or wait for NX?

Tagged games:

What Should I do

Buy Wii U now 203 42.65%

Wait for NX 125 26.26%

Buy Wii U at bargain price 86 18.07%

Buy Hooker 62 13.03%

Total:476

Wait to see if the NX is backwards compatible. If not. Then wait for the Wii U to get at a very cheap price.

Around the Network
Gamemaster87 said:

Not going to happen. At least not at launch.

Nah, it'll definitely happen at launch. That's half the point of the platform.

Probably wait, since we still don't know what the NX is. After that, then you can decide

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

I would make the jump to the Wii U. There should be some deals this holiday season. I think that would be a good a time as any buy it.

We are probably looking at 13 to 18 months before the NX comes out. That is a long time to wait to play those games you listed. There is also no guarantee that we see backwards compatibility with the Wii U. I would lean toward no, but others will disagree. With the NX, you would also be paying launch prices. The other issue is the launch games. We have no idea how good they will be or how many there will be. For all consoles, this period tends to be a little rough.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

I gave up on the Wii U, waiting for the NX or some type of announcment.

Around the Network

Nintendo has been doing BC longer than its competitors Wii U is compatible with Wii which is compatible to GameCube (not out of the box but Nintendon't uses exploits to run GC games). That's 3 generations in 1 console. I don't think Nintendo will make NX BC with Wii U. It's just too much. NX is a new concept so I doubt the Wii name or peripherals will continue. So in short, get the Wii U or get it at bargain. I got my Wii U for $40 from someone in my neighborhood...best purchase I've made for that price.

The Wii U is so cheap that if you have enough interesting games on it that you want just buy it and play.

Otherwise you end up being one of those people who says I will wait for the next console forever lol.

Just wait for the NX really.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Unless you REALLY want the games now and feel like what is being offered in the future interests you, get it. If you can wait, just wait. I wouldn't have gotten a Wii U at all if my gf didn't make me XD most of the games I want on it are /were delayed. The games out now besides SMM and SM3DW can barely hold my attention. I'm hoping Nintendo will learn to make games in a more timely manner next attempt

spemanig said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

..but I thought it was going to be digital only.

It will. Digital BC. The Wii U eshop will be the basis for the NX eshop, and all your digital purchases will transfer over.

Considering like, 80% of us all bought our games on disc, that's going to be a total kick in the nuts. Not really what I call BC. More like "limited BC".