By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Which devs have priority getting the NX Dev Kits?

Tagged games:

Platinum Games is most likely their #1.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Around the Network
Soleron said:
Gamemaster87 said:
I guess everybody who wants to get a game ready for the 2017 NX launch.
So, basically the companies that produce AAA Games that need 2 years.
Indies will get Dev Kits in Late 2016. Should be enough time for them to get Games ready for the 2017 Launch.

If the dev kits are public knowledge now, that implies 2016 launch. Did anyone publicly have PS4 dev kits in 2011?

Wii U dev kits were send out in Mid 2011. That's 1.5 years before launch.

Now add the advanced tech, you can easily assume a 2017 release.

NX is not happening before 2017. Deal with it.

Soleron said:

If the dev kits are public knowledge now, that implies 2016 launch. Did anyone publicly have PS4 dev kits in 2011?

Nope. There were apparently 3 version of the dev kits, the earliest sources I can find are of the "new" dev kits being sent out in Novemeber 2012 and the final dev kits were sent out in Jan 2013. So likely the first dev kits were sent out in late summer 2012.

For some reason people seem to be stuck on the idea that recieving a dev kit just over 1 year in advance is too late to get existing games running on it solidly by launch. Alternatively everyone is unreasonably expecting devs to be building exclusive NX games from the ground up, with development only beginning the same day they recieved the dev kits :/

I think at most we'll get 1/2 AAA third party exclusives in launch window (first 6months), likely games made in collaboration with Nintendo or games Nintendo snapped up midway through development. Any other exclusives will be party games or indie sized projects. 

Gamemaster87 said:
Soleron said:

Your date for Wii U supports 2016 better than 2017. 

More advanced tech should mean a SHORTER period, not longer, because they will be developing it with as much of the time as they have. Like how Xbox 360's GPU came out ahead of the PC GPUs with that tech, so dev kits 2.5 years before were impossible.

Hey, I _want_ to see it in 2017 so Nintendo crashes and burns next year. But it looks like 2016 to me.

Square Enix for sure. Otherwise I wouldn't be shocked if Nintendo convinced Konami to port the GOTY edition of MGS5. Hopefully they find a way to get Minecraft on it too. This means support from MS in some way. And they need the annual franchises. The CoDs, the ACs etc. This means Ubisoft, Activision, and maybe EA. I think that they could get by with 2K without issue.

Around the Network

I remember EA returning their Wii U dev kits later. Its not important who gets it. Its important how they support it.
Currently Japanese developers are developing few AAA games. Whatever AAA they develop are mostly PS4 exclusive. Rest are either coming to PS4 / X1 or even PC. Lets see how how it turns out.

Square Enix and Sega come to mind. Level 5 probably has it too.

Gamemaster87 said:

"Now add the advanced tech" doesn't really mean anything. What advanced tech, you mean the same architure seen inside the PS4 and X1? Even more powerful specs which mean the games require less optimisation to produce good ports? We don't know what tech is inside the NX.

The earliest reports of "public" PS4 dev kits were in November 2012, more "advanced" then the Wii U yet developers were given less time with it. Furthermore the 
Wii U was designed to be a unique system where developers would build games from the ground up to utilise its 2 screens. 

I'm not at all certain of any release date but concluding a 2017 release date from this is not that wise. When was the last time dev kits were publically released 2 years in advanced? Alternatively when was the last time a home console was launched in the summer if you're expecting a summer 2017 launch?

Nintendo has had decent luck with Japanese developers, they haven't really gotten any solid support from Western Devs since the Gamecube. They are going to need solid support Western and Japanese devs if they want to gain significant marketshare.

Tier 1:
Internal Nintendo devs- for obvious reasons

Activision- first/second largest 3rd party supporter of the wii u. Still funds ports of skylanders and guitar hero

Ubisoft- first/second largest 3rd party supporter of the wii u. Almost provided 2 launch exclusives for no cost while providing ports longer than others.

EA- huge 3rd party player. Too hard too ignore with their reign of casual sports titles (fifa, madden, ...)

Koei Tecmo- great relations, dev kit sent early to start an early partnership

Bandai Namco- see Koei Tecmo

Platinum- see Koei Tecmo

Tier 2:
Sega- Nintendo is still the best platform for sonic (one of the few console titles sega still makes)

Square- already expressed interest and still has DQ as a semi reliable console title

Capcom- A known japanese dev with excellent handheld support

Nordic games- They have shown a great interest in making games for Nintendo while containing some known franchises like darksiders (could also be tier 3)

Tier 3 (wishful thinking):
Bethesda- Hopefully Nintendo starts seeing their growing influence within western countries

Slightly Mad Studios- Hopefully Nintendo sees and discusses with SMS to make project cars 1 or 2 an NX launch title

Rockstar- Hopefully GTA V was enough of a Behemoth to show Nintendo Rockstar's capabilities.