By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Which devs have priority getting the NX Dev Kits?

Tagged games:

shikamaru317 said:

I'm guessing Nintendo is prioritizing the big publishers first (western and Japanese), especially the ones who actually supported Wii U some.

I'm guessing Square is one of the first considering they already announced Dragon Quest and FF14 for NX.

Why would Square get one of the first ones then, though? If true, wouldn't that imply that they're simply going after whatever publishers they can get interested? And why would Square be interested now when they've largely ignored Nintendo home consoles since the mid-90's?

Around the Network
noname2200 said:
shikamaru317 said:

I'm guessing Nintendo is prioritizing the big publishers first (western and Japanese), especially the ones who actually supported Wii U some.

I'm guessing Square is one of the first considering they already announced Dragon Quest and FF14 for NX.

Why would Square get one of the first ones then, though? If true, wouldn't that imply that they're simply going after whatever publishers they can get interested? And why would Square be interested now when they've largely ignored Nintendo home consoles since the mid-90's?

After the 3rd party disaster that was Wii U, I feel like Nintendo probably will be happy to take whatever publishers/developers they can get with NX.

Apparently Square was impressed by Nintendo's behind closed doors showing of NX concepts at E3 this year.

http://gimmegimmegames.com/2015/06/report-nintendo-showed-nx-to-third-parties-at-e3-publishers-happy-with-it-miyamoto-not-involved-with-hardware-design-as-much/

http://www.destructoid.com/dragon-quest-xi-announced-for-ps4-3ds-nx-update--296766.phtml

http://nintendoeverything.com/square-enix-open-to-bringing-final-fantasy-xiv-to-nx/

Naturally, EA. They'll be invited on stage to announce an unprecedented partnership.

Wyrdness said:
Likely Capcom, Square Enix, Platinum and Sega.

I agree with this

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

No one as of yet. The NX dev kits are a unconfirmed rumor. If they were giving out devs, it would be to anyone who would take one.

Around the Network
noname2200 said:
shikamaru317 said:

Square makes a decent amount of 3DS games still and if NX is really a unified concept that many speculate than Square will likely give solid support to NX.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Probably:

Ubisoft
Capcom
Square Enix
Activision
Platinum Games
Sega
EA (yes, I know, but they're probably gonna do some ports for it anyway)
Warner Bros.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

shikamaru317 said:
noname2200 said:
shikamaru317 said:

After the 3rd party disaster that was Wii U, I feel like Nintendo probably will be happy to take whatever publishers/developers they can get with NX.

Apparently Square was impressed by Nintendo's behind closed doors showing of NX concepts at E3 this year.

http://gimmegimmegames.com/2015/06/report-nintendo-showed-nx-to-third-parties-at-e3-publishers-happy-with-it-miyamoto-not-involved-with-hardware-design-as-much/

http://www.destructoid.com/dragon-quest-xi-announced-for-ps4-3ds-nx-update--296766.phtml

http://nintendoeverything.com/square-enix-open-to-bringing-final-fantasy-xiv-to-nx/

Going to be honest, nothing in those links suggests that SE was impressed by anything. Not are only is SE not even mentioned in the first article but the fact that the author was willing to say 'seemed' impressed is telling. 

SE bringing DQ11 to NX does not mean much anything considering it's their usual game plan to bring anything DQ related to Nintendo hardware regardless of how else they support the platform.

And the devs of FF14 are also open to bringing the game to X1 and yet that is still not happening. Of course they are open: FF14 is a game that makes its money off ppl who subscribe to play the game.  The more people, the better. 

Getting SE is important but I also do not think that they are just going to jump head strong into the device. Their 3DS and WiiU software output is not particularlly amazing. Getting the JRPG support they are showing on PS4 will most definitely be one of the best things Nintendo can do but its not going to guarantee them any success. The PS4 becomes more and more the de facto JPN console for gamers with every passing day. 

I image they will first go after

Square Enix
Capcom(monster hunter team top priority)
keoi Tecmo
Level 5
Ubisoft
Rockstar
Bethesda
Activision
Warner Brothers
EA
I'm sure I'm forgetting a few

There might be a bit of a delay on the western publisher since I have a feeling Nintendo will fall into the same mistake they did with the Wii U and not really have any(or to few) people that speaks English able to assist the devs( I remember seeing a article a while back that had some publisher complaining that Nintendo had a long wait on answering questions since NoA had to translate it, then send it to Japan, which would get sent back needed to be translated again until they can get the question answer. this taking sometime multiple days). So that might take some time for them to maybe train people in the west to try and get them ready. Then start to sent those Dev kits out. But Japan will most certainly get them first. I almost would bet that Level 5 and the monster hunter team already have there dev kit.

If the dev kits are really already sent out... Which Tachi says there not acording to I'm guessing friends she at other companies. But if the majors already have them, I think the application process for NX indies will begin after E3, or so.

Check out my lastest games review: Fast RMX and  Snipperclips: Cut it out Together

If the API is fairly standard and the system specs don't contain something that will force devs to radically change their code just to get it to run - then the adoption rate from publishers should be decent. In that case it would come down to the commericals - what sort of incentives will Nintendo offer to get major support on board? (marketing support, access to Nintendo IP such as putting Link as an exclusive game character, a timed break on publishing royalties etc.)

niallyb