By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Which devs have priority getting the NX Dev Kits?

Tagged games:

No one as of yet. The NX dev kits are a unconfirmed rumor. If they were giving out devs, it would be to anyone who would take one.

Around the Network
noname2200 said:
shikamaru317 said:

I'm guessing Nintendo is prioritizing the big publishers first (western and Japanese), especially the ones who actually supported Wii U some.

I'm guessing Square is one of the first considering they already announced Dragon Quest and FF14 for NX.

Why would Square get one of the first ones then, though? If true, wouldn't that imply that they're simply going after whatever publishers they can get interested? And why would Square be interested now when they've largely ignored Nintendo home consoles since the mid-90's?

Square makes a decent amount of 3DS games still and if NX is really a unified concept that many speculate than Square will likely give solid support to NX.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Probably:

Ubisoft
Capcom
Square Enix
Activision
Platinum Games
Sega
EA (yes, I know, but they're probably gonna do some ports for it anyway)
Warner Bros.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

If the API is fairly standard and the system specs don't contain something that will force devs to radically change their code just to get it to run - then the adoption rate from publishers should be decent. In that case it would come down to the commericals - what sort of incentives will Nintendo offer to get major support on board? (marketing support, access to Nintendo IP such as putting Link as an exclusive game character, a timed break on publishing royalties etc.)

niallyb

Gamemaster87 said:
teigaga said:

I'm not at all certain of any release date but concluding a 2017 release date from this is not that wise. When was the last time dev kits were publically released 2 years in advanced? Alternatively when was the last time a home console was launched in the summer if you're expecting a summer 2017 launch?

Where did I say "Summer"? Please read again...

You said 2017,  presumably fall. Which would mean dev kits were publically being sent out 2 years in advance which is not really a thing as far as recent history tells us. "Alternatively" you could be meaning an earlier 2017 launch such as summer, which would make handing out dev now quite reasonable (1.5 years) but a summer or Spring launch for a home console is not a common thing. So either way dev kits being out now points to a 2016 launch more then a 2017.

Around the Network
noname2200 said:
shikamaru317 said:

I'm guessing Nintendo is prioritizing the big publishers first (western and Japanese), especially the ones who actually supported Wii U some.

I'm guessing Square is one of the first considering they already announced Dragon Quest and FF14 for NX.

Why would Square get one of the first ones then, though? If true, wouldn't that imply that they're simply going after whatever publishers they can get interested? And why would Square be interested now when they've largely ignored Nintendo home consoles since the mid-90's?

Well Square have 2 console defining games on the horizon (FFXV and DQ11) that Nintendo naturally want on their platform. Secondly the main reason why Nintendo have been ignored by Square since the 7th gen is due to specs.

shikamaru317 said:

After the 3rd party disaster that was Wii U, I feel like Nintendo probably will be happy to take whatever publishers/developers they can get with NX.

Probably true. I'm just surprised they'd be all in when they've effectively done squat for any Nintendo home console since the SNES, and while their DS support was good their 3DS stuff would have qualified as tepid in prior generations. I guess it's not really a question you can answer, but I'm baffled as to why they seem more sanguine about the NX than anyone else, at least going by public comments so far.

teigaga said:

Well Square have 2 console defining games on the horizon (FFXV and DQ11) that Nintendo naturally want on their platform. Secondly the main reason why Nintendo have been ignored by Square since the 7th gen is due to specs.

They've largely ignored Nintendo since the 4th generatio on home consoles though, although admittedly they showed up to a respectable degree on the GBA and DS, and more than most on the 3DS.

zorg1000 said:

Square makes a decent amount of 3DS games still and if NX is really a unified concept that many speculate than Square will likely give solid support to NX.

I'll admit I was thinking of the NX more in terms of a home console than a handheld one.

noname2200 said:
zorg1000 said:

I'll admit I was thinking of the NX more in terms of a home console than a handheld one.

Gotcha, but if NX does turn out to be both a handheld and a console that share a library than we need to consider the type of support Nintendo gets overall.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

indies
lol

Sony for sure.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile