By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - My friend got fired for saying this... your thoughts?

DonFerrari said:
SuperNova said:

I basically agree with everything you said exept for this part. We have not studied gender issues and relations long enough to differentiate with certainty between nature vs. nurture on these Topics.

I would argue that the reason a large amout of female students when presented with computer sience still wouldn't be as interested as boys, is because of their home invironment. Because 'it's something that girls don't like to do' is a reinforced stereotype in many parents heads to this date. The struggle for equality has not been going on long enough to erase centuries of cultural identity and gender stereotypes. I'm not even talking about something that is done with bad intent or even conciously. It's as simple as calling your little girl to help you build a computer, while relating how things work, thus fostering an early interest, vs. refrainig from doing so because you would just bore her. A home invironment that does not trust a girl with technical knowlegde will probably result in a woman with a lack of interest in technology just as much as a boy that did not get to do any domestic work would probably grow into a man less than inclined to go into a nursing profession.

While bringing the subjects to students as early as kindergarden or primary school is a good step, they usually cannot reverse behaviour patterns learned at home, earlier in life.

And on the subject of the gender inequality in nursing professions an intersting tidbid is perhaps that, higher pay correlates directly with the percantage of men found in the professions. In my country secondary school teachers, which are among highest payed in the wider field of nursing and education are about 50/50 men to women. Primary school teachers get lower wages than that and there is a higher percentage of women among them. Kindergarden teachers get payed less than that and have an overwhelmingly female demographic. Similar result can be found in the health/nursing sector.

When asked what would make these professions more attractive to men, the overwhelming anwer was simply, better payment. It wasn't some natural inclanation that kept the men from working in these fields, in fact many would have liked to, but they felt like their work wasn't valued enough. This suggests that historically women are trained to be content with lesser payment. This is in the process of being rectified with higher payments across the board being fought for, but it's a long process.

On the topic of your friend, as others have said, if it really is how you say and he was suggested to leave based solely on that statement that would be wrong.

But there are so many factors at play (not in the least that this is a second hand story, from an offended party, that we don't know the other side of) that's it's hard to make a judgement call. As others have suggested he should probably inquire friendly why exactly he is being fired.

Well, about PC you may be right (altough no parent incentivized me to build pc or be an aeronautic engineer).

But in 1st grade I don't remember no teacher saying guys are good at maths and woman good at languague or any other thing. So perhaps it's more biological than cultural.

Another thing, genetically we already know that man have more power and explosion and are more prone to risk action than women that are more resistent to pain and play on safety side.

As much as we try to be Politically Right we also see that black people have stronger muscle than white and are also faster. And seems possible that asiatic or white are more inteligent (we are all talking average and/or best of etnic... of course there are black that are a lot brighter than most white guys... and girls that are stronger than most guys... but the average of an etnic is different than the other and the upper part of one is also above the other as well, even if the upper of the reverse is above the average)...

On incentivize... woman are more incentivized to cook, but even so the best chefs tend to be men as well, strange right?

I absolutely agree, that there probably are natural diffrences and that's fine. I'm not trying to argue those away. I'm just saying that if we use the nature vs. nurture argument we should be absolutely sure what we are talking about because otherwise it becomes a very lazy strawman argument.

About the subjects, I know this is anectdotal, but in my personal expierience the skill level between boys and girls in languages, maths, sciences, art classes, history, etc. was pretty much 50/50.

What I know about the topic in terms of studies is that ever since schools focused on bringing the 'traditionally male' subjects to girls, they not only cought up to the boys level but have actually overtaken them. It is thought that this is indeed related to genetical reasons. Not because boys are less intelligent, but because the way we learn in schools, aka sitting down, in a concentrated quiet environment, often with the teacher in front, explaining, lends itself better to girls, which are as you said ususally more communication focused, less risk taking etc. This suggests that boys would need a slightly diffrent, more active learning environment to properly excel.

I agree that reconizing these diffrences is as important as trying to establish equality. I'm certainly not promoting giving Jobs out based on minority statuses instead of skill. Even if if I do think a varied staff can be beneficial.

I'm just saying, that if we want more x in this job, we have to look at the reasons why these people are not gravitating towards those Jobs. Maybe it is genetics (the easy, but possibly very right answer) maybe it's centuries of leftover cultural baggage (the much harder to solve, but equally possibly right answer).

About that last point, one of those scientifically proven diffrences beween men in woman is that women tend to be more socially oriented, trying to avoid conflict, while men tend to be more competetive. Gastronomy is an incredibly competetive, very hard working field, that consitently siffs out the females to lower payed positions while some of the males go on to stardom. It reminds me in a way of kindergardens where often an entirely female workforce is lead by the sole man in the facility. Men are culturally and genetically more used to asking for what they want, and acting confident that they deserve it, while women are more likely to settle, rather tan risk conflict. This helps the men in these fields reach positions in which their skill is going to be evaluated by neutral outside partys.

In other words, if you never make kitchen chef because you're too much of a team player, no one is going to notice how well you cook. Women have to learn how to be more assertive and ask for better positions. Something they are naturally not inclined to to and that they have been culturally trained not to do on top of that.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Tachikoma said:

In the end, while asperations play a role initially, for most people they take any job they can, be that IT, janitorial, secretarial or similar, not because they WANT to do that as a profession, but because unemployment is less attractive.

a large portion of IT placements are considered undesirable, regardless of the applicants gender, and what leads us to a situation where a higher portion of IT placements being male, is because when sat in the job centers a woman looking for a job will choose a job such as checkout clerk, receptionist or childcare over IT positions, and men will take IT positions over the others, what drives this? simply the difference in genders, a difference we should not demonize or label a problem, the genders are different, everyone is unique, the onus to insist that difference between genders, race and attitudes is wrong is one that stifles creativity, individuality and above all, freedom.

So much high level thinking shouldn't be allowed...

If two workers are basically identical in skills and you decide to hire the one from poorest family, minority or gender to bring more variety and point of views to company it can be beneficial... but when to bring more variety you skip on skills them you are making a bad decision and impacting negatively the company.

Sure black, atheist, transexual, women, muslim, gueto neighborhood will have different view on life and problems than a White middle class religious heterossexual person and that is valid, as long as his skills are up there for the work.

Totally agree.  unless he have a specific skill or mindset essential for the job or company the whole skill set must take precedent and gender race etc should come after that

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
DonFerrari said:

So much high level thinking shouldn't be allowed...

If two workers are basically identical in skills and you decide to hire the one from poorest family, minority or gender to bring more variety and point of views to company it can be beneficial... but when to bring more variety you skip on skills them you are making a bad decision and impacting negatively the company.

Sure black, atheist, transexual, women, muslim, gueto neighborhood will have different view on life and problems than a White middle class religious heterossexual person and that is valid, as long as his skills are up there for the work.

Totally agree.  unless he have a specific skill or mindset essential for the job or company the whole skill set must take precedent and gender race etc should come after that

are you agreeing with yourself? you quoted your own post... xD

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

SuperNova said:
DonFerrari said:

Well, about PC you may be right (altough no parent incentivized me to build pc or be an aeronautic engineer).

But in 1st grade I don't remember no teacher saying guys are good at maths and woman good at languague or any other thing. So perhaps it's more biological than cultural.

Another thing, genetically we already know that man have more power and explosion and are more prone to risk action than women that are more resistent to pain and play on safety side.

As much as we try to be Politically Right we also see that black people have stronger muscle than white and are also faster. And seems possible that asiatic or white are more inteligent (we are all talking average and/or best of etnic... of course there are black that are a lot brighter than most white guys... and girls that are stronger than most guys... but the average of an etnic is different than the other and the upper part of one is also above the other as well, even if the upper of the reverse is above the average)...

On incentivize... woman are more incentivized to cook, but even so the best chefs tend to be men as well, strange right?

I absolutely agree, that there probably are natural diffrences and that's fine. I'm not trying to argue those away. I'm just saying that if we use the nature vs. nurture argument we should be absolutely sure what we are talking about because otherwise it becomes a very lazy strawman argument.

About the subjects, I know this is anectdotal, but in my personal expierience the skill level between boys and girls in languages, maths, sciences, art classes, history, etc. was pretty much 50/50.

What I know about the topic in terms of studies is that ever since schools focused on bringing the 'traditionally male' subjects to girls, they not only cought up to the boys level but have actually overtaken them. It is thought that this is indeed related to genetical reasons. Not because boys are less intelligent, but because the way we learn in schools, aka sitting down, in a concentrated quiet environment, often with the teacher in front, explaining, lends itself better to girls, which are as you said ususally more communication focused, less risk taking etc. This suggests that boys would need a slightly diffrent, more active learning environment to properly excel.

I agree that reconizing these diffrences is as important as trying to establish equality. I'm certainly not promoting giving Jobs out based on minority statuses instead of skill. Even if if I do think a varied staff can be beneficial.

I'm just saying, that if we want more x in this job, we have to look at the reasons why these people are not gravitating towards those Jobs. Maybe it is genetics (the easy, but possibly very right answer) maybe it's centuries of leftover cultural baggage (the much harder to solve, but equally possibly right answer).

About that last point, one of those scientifically proven diffrences beween men in woman is that women tend to be more socially oriented, trying to avoid conflict, while men tend to be more competetive. Gastronomy is an incredibly competetive, very hard working field, that consitently siffs out the females to lower payed positions while some of the males go on to stardom. It reminds me in a way of kindergardens where often an entirely female workforce is lead by the sole man in the facility. Men are culturally and genetically more used to asking for what they want, and acting confident that they deserve it, while women are more likely to settle, rather tan risk conflict. This helps the men in these fields reach positions in which their skill is going to be evaluated by neutral outside partys.

In other words, if you never make kitchen chef because you're too much of a team player, no one is going to notice how well you cook. Women have to learn how to be more assertive and ask for better positions. Something they are naturally not inclined to to and that they have been culturally trained not to do on top of that.

Agree on almost everything you said.

I for sure think making learning enviroment better for all and improve the level of understand of subject a person don't like much. This would uplevel the whole workforce. Math or physic may be unnecessary but can improve your performance because of logic think and communication may not affect your inventive capacity but would help you lead researchers or convey your point.

diversity is great as long as the skill level is enough. But it for its sake won't help it.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

generic-user-1 said:
Dusk said:
It probably wasn't that question. There might be more to it than you know. There is also the potential that what he told you was actually quite different than what went down in the interview.
With the ability to record nearly every interview now days, I mean the interviewee as well as the interviewer. Since that could directly be stated as sexist it's unlikely that it's the truth. However, if it is, he should likely try to follow up and possibly take more political measures. File a complaint to the powers that be in your area. Or just move onto another, better, company.
I'm sure everybody here knows that as long as the work done is of high quality, sex is not a weighted measure.

yeah, good luck finding a court that thinks sexism against men is a thing.

Not sure where you got that from. My point was about sexism against women, Since he was about equality. But again, if it was an issue for the company, he's probably better finding a better place to work.

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.

Around the Network

I myself worked for years at a major, blue-collar tech organisation, and I will write based on that (it could be different elsewhere).
First, a major blue collar tech organisation is very complex, with lot of level of decisions, lot of changes, and it's impossible to know the reason, and if it's related. The interviewer have nothing to say if the top level says "no open seat this quarter for this sub-division".
Secondly, the fact he's good is not really something that matters and should not really be considered as a plus (this plus makes you think there is hidden reason). If it's a big company, what ever they say about hiring talents, one person does not have impact enough. He is critical or not, in a project/team that is critical or not.
Last thing, such company have an official policy regarding minorities, handicap, etc. and that cost money and they value it (especially in term of public relation). If an interviewer ask your opinion, he doesn't really care about the validity of your answer (does it makes sense or not), he's here to assert you are compliant, and you will not make trouble to him or to the company. You have to be a yes man, it's not a question, it's a check list, and if you can't let him check the box, he will think you are a risk. To say it simply, your friend is already giving him trouble in the interview process, despite the fact he knows what the "right" answer is ("right" in the sense what is expected, not right in a debate).

My opinion is that big corporates are not really a fun place to be in, it's not really a place that will value your freedom, or excellence, it's a place that fear risk. And as wrong as it is he was fired, and even if I can't tell if there is a relation with his answer... based on his answer, your friend said he doesn't fit. My second opinion is that I (respectfully) disagree with him, team work, a good balance in a team is what matters the most for me. I have worked in teams where all people are from the same gender, race, and age, and it was horrible.

Well his answer is extremely diplomatic regardless of where you fall. People really shouldn't be fired or hired on basis of political leaning unless they convey dangerous ideologies.

As @TruckOSaurus says he should really seek clarification on why they are suggesting he not continue past his probabtion.

fireburn95 said:

Ok quick context, he is doing an internship/placement at a major, blue-collar tech organisation in the UK.
Fired is probably not the right word, but it was suggested he does not continue past his 1 month probation.
He and I both do not give into this third-wave feminism 'made up stats' and 'oppression' bullshit.

Ok, company xyz, (I will call them) had a one month review. My friend is a top marks student, one hell of a programmer and being in the same year as me, makes me mother bleeping jealous of him. (Don't worry i'm still learning.)

He was doing fine, did his work, passed his university exams with flying colours, easily got the job at xyz, and was going places. They asked him a few questions which he confidently answered, then came up the next question (not sic mind you but along the lines):

How important do you think it is that we get more women in the tech workplace?

Now, as a believer of equality of oppurtunity for everyone based solely on their merits, he answered this. Note that elaboration is usually required in these answers, so they were expecting also a 'how do we do this' etc. Also, there's only one objective answer to this question, so it is kind of pointless asking anyway because no one is going to flat out say 'not very important'.

Now his answer was reasoned and though out, and along the lines of (again, not sic)

The technology industry is large and ever growing and their is a lot of room for everyone to join the party. Majoring in computer science can be difficult so it requires a lot of preparation and dedication to achieve greater heights. With that in mind, I truely believe that anyone who is interested enough to pursue this career should really give it a try, and it could result in fresh new ideas for the industry which is a win-win, and we should encourage it from the offset throughout primary and higher education.

Note how he avoided pretty much saying what he wanted to "It's important that we get good, quality people regardless of gender or race into the industry", to be fair he did a good job without going against his morals but the interviewer pretty much knew what he was about then, but he got told immediately after that question that he is subject to a review, and later, he will not proceed past his months probation.

Personally, I don't think you can be judged on a very stupid question in an interview. I mean, it's important that we get more, good people into the industry. Grabbing a bunch of women and shoving them into an industry just for the sake of having a close to 1:1 ratio rather than them being interested is ridiculous. Do you think he was unfairly dismissed based on the above or was he unreasonable in thinking so?

This post is 2 seriouz 4 me.

I'm out!

#MaydaPeaceForceBeWithYall

binary solo said:
He should have said "more women in IT is a desirable thing." Because that is true and has the benefit of being something the review panel would want to hear.

Then he should have gone on to say "promoting IT to girls should start at school, where girls can start getting interested in IT at a young age where it can become second nature to them, like it became second nature to me when I was X age after spending hours [doing computery stuff]." Because this is a good strategy for making sure women can get IT jobs based on merit rather than a quota system.

Then he should have said, "Making the IT work environment female friendly is also important, and I take pride in being a person who does not discriminate or pre-judge a person's worth based on race, gender, sexual orientation or nationality. When women know that they will enter a workplace and be treated well then they will be more likely to want to make IT their chosen career. I think I am a good example of what is required to make an IT workplace a welcoming and supportive environment for women." 

LOL ironically this was my answer when I was asked about more female engineers.

You said he already worked for a month and this was a probational review.

In all honesty during a probation period there is nothing you can do when you get fired, hence why they call it probation to give employers a get out of jail free card on dropping people. Asking generic questions is probably just a formality they go through then say no, irrespective of the answers as they already made up their mind they don't want that person to continue.

On the flip side, who knows what your friend talked about with someone in the office prior the review interview. He could have rubbed someone the wrong way (maybe a female employee) or he was too strong in his opinions during regular discussions and was reported and the interviewer basically wanted to confirm whether he would dodge the question with a political answer neutral.