By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - If you think about it, the original xbox was ahead of its time besides xbox live.

No the dreamcast and the nes were ahead of their times

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

I Hate REMASTERS

I Hate PLAYSTATION PLUS

Around the Network
Snoopy said:

Look at the original xbox games.

Halo, Half Life, Counter Strike, Doom, Morrow Wind (Besetheda Games), ect. You can trace the most popular games today to the original xbox in some sort of way. Halo paved the way for fps online multiplayer games that we see all the time. The best selling RPG is no longer JRPG, but WRPGS which Besetheda games is leading the way. Valve needs no explaining. Sure a lot of these games are on PC, but Xbox made these games more popular on consoles and the popular games we play now was first on the original Xbox or their roots can be traced back to the original Xbox games. Kind of cool if you ask me. Also, thanks to the original xbox, Western games are leading the way now while it used to be Japanese games.

PC games paved the way for modern console games. Look at the original PC games.

Half Life, Counter Strike, Doom 1 + 2, The Elder Scrolls 1 - 3 (Bethesda Games), Diablo, Call of Duty, Fallout, MineCraft, Far Cry, ect. You can trace the most popular games today to the PC in some sort of way. Counter Strike, Quake 3 Arena, Battlefield 1 + 2, and Unreal Tournament paved the way for fps online multiplayer games that we see all the time, even Halo (developed for PC and Macs in the first place) did its part. The best selling RPG is no longer JRPG, but WRPGS which Besetheda games is leading the way. Valve needs no explaining. Kind of cool if you ask me. Also, thanks to these popular PC games and series, Western games are leading the way now while it used to be Japanese games.

Snoopy said:

Halo, Half Life, Counter Strike, Doom, Morrow Wind (Besetheda Games), ect. You can trace the most popular games today to the original xbox in some sort of way. Halo paved the way for fps online multiplayer games that we see all the time. The best selling RPG is no longer JRPG, but WRPGS which Besetheda games is leading the way. Valve needs no explaining. Sure a lot of these games are on PC, but Xbox made these games more popular on consoles and the popular games we play now was first on the original Xbox or their roots can be traced back to the original Xbox games. Kind of cool if you ask me. Also, thanks to the original xbox, Western games are leading the way now while it used to be Japanese games.

Yeah western games are leading the wave now with their season passes.

I much rather spent the money on a new jrpgs which are plenty avaible. Bloodborne has the best graphics ever made and FF15 looks also allready better than the witcher 3 or follout 4 which will run on 30fps.

One of the ideas behind the original Xbox was to bring PC centric developers to console. They offered PC like features and tried to make it easy to port games. That philosophy was quite successful in the end (especially thanks to Xbox 360) and you could say that even PS4's design is a result of that.

Some other results are that high budget PC exclusives almost don't exist anymore and that the main business of most Western publishers is on consoles nowadays. I don't think that this would have happened with Sony and Nintendo as the only big console manufacturers.

Aeolus451 said:

You mean 3rd party devs put their pc games and other games on the original xbox. *shrugs*

And PC gamers appearently fume about that until this day

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Around the Network
zero129 said:
Ruler said:
Snoopy said:

Yeah western games are leading the wave now with their season passes.

I much rather spent the money on a new jrpgs which are plenty avaible. Bloodborne has the best graphics ever made and FF15 looks also allready better than the witcher 3 or follout 4 which will run on 30fps.

I wouldnt exactly say Bloodborne has the best graphics ever...

I also wouldnt say that FF15 looks better then The Witcher 3 (Unless where just talking about on consoles??).

And japan developed games doesnt have DLC or season passes??.

Yes most them dont. Bloodborne has the best graphics. FF15 looks better than witcher 3 on PC look at the art stytle. Its japanese artstyle every poligon is on the right spot you cant match it.

With the exception of having a built in hard drive, it was NOT ahead of its time.

zero129 said:
Ruler said:

Yes most them dont. Bloodborne has the best graphics. FF15 looks better than witcher 3 on PC look at the art stytle. Its japanese artstyle every poligon is on the right spot you cant match it.

Most of them dont have DLC? are you kidding me here??.

And liking one artstyle over another does not make the game Techicly better. Otherwise the is many a WiiU game that looks better then many of the games on both nextgen consoles and PC but it still doesnt mean much other then a person liking that style more.

Yes their DLC is acceptable like with upcoming Bloodborne DLC for 15€/13£. Tekken has no DLC, MGS5 hasnt DLC, FF15 wont have any and even capcom makes the right moves with SF5.

I have never seen a japanese games having a season pass for 50 bucks like star wars or batman. Yes art style is more important, nintendo makes cartoony games its not comperable. But AAA from west with japanese is. Look at mgs 5 that games looks allready better than 95% of upcoming games.

I remember playing mainly japanese games on Sega and Sony consoles before Xbox... but then I played Rallisports Challenge and PGR at a friend's place and wow that blew me away. Never liked western games really as I didn't care for their designs but then I played Kotor and design wasn't so important anymore. I didn't even knew who Bioware, Bethesda, Bizarre Creation or Bungee were and they suddenly made the best games back then. Western gaming took off with Xbox imo before that they were mainly PC devs or these other games you play while waiting for the big japanese blockbusters from Konami, Capcom, Square etc.

Ka-pi96 said:
tripenfall said:
Halo showed that a FPS could be as good on a console (if not better) than a PC so in that regard the XBOX was
very influential. The problem with the console IMO was that other than Halo 2 no other games match the quality of the launch title. A bit of a let down there.
Also first XBOX controller was a turd.... And the size and weight of the console itself yikes!
Despite some good ideas and high specs the PS2 ruled the day.

Do Call of Duty, Medal of Honour, Timesplitters, Half-Life, Red Faction etc not count? Or are you just calling them all crap?

Forgot Goldeneye.