By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - If you think about it, the original xbox was ahead of its time besides xbox live.

Abun said:
HoloDust said:
"Halo, Half Life, Counter Strike, Doom, Morrow Wind (Besetheda Games), ect. You can trace the most popular games today to the original xbox in some sort of way"

Actually, you can trace those popular games back to PC, but important thing that MS did with Xbox is to give western devs console that was very familiar with what they've been used to on PC, so they can easily expand their market.

Half Life traces back to the PS2 as welll as Baldor's Gate.PC games started coming to consoles during the PSX and Doom was on the SNES long before there was an Xbox.The most popular games trace back to PlayStation and some a Nintendo platform such as FPS.Companies like Eidos,EA,Activison,Ubisoft and Take Two all got huge from the PlayStation console which lead to Western devs being where they are at.All Western devs are not PC developers.The Xbox did nothing for Western developers or PC devs when you look at the history.Some of you people don't know gaming history I see.I grew up during that time period and remember well when Western devs expanded and when PC games started coming to console as did the people around me.

Oh dear...look, I don't want to be rude, I understand that you're quite young, so you have usual cockiness of someone in his early 20s, but you should really check facts before posting randomly.

As someone who's twice (and then some) your age and been PC gamer since '95 (computer gamer since early 80s), I was actually there when titles like Doom, Half-Life and Baldur's Gate released (all of those accidently are some of my favourite games) - those were all PC franchises that later got either ports, sequels or, in BG's case, spin-offs on consoles...which console is quite unimportant, since focus of my previous post is that those titles are originally PC IPs.

As for PS2 and Xbox - PS2 was very, very important console for western devs heading into console market, but Xbox was something that PC devs understood quite well and could easily work with, making both PC and Xbox versions of their games without a lot of trouble. 360 built on that, and biggest legacy of Xbox, IMO, is that now (more or less) all consoles are PC-alike.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Netty said:
The original Xbox was way ahead of its time in resolution. It actually had some games that ran in 720p, like the Xbox One.

Also, having such a PC-like architecture won Xbox a lot of PC developers, which set up the Xbox 360 nicely in terms of developer support.

I may be wrong, but gran turismo 4 run up to 1080i. And resolution is just natural evolution not being ahead of it's time.

Gran Turismo 4 did not natively render at 1080i, it still rendered at 480p. 

The original Xbox was capable of rendering natively at 720p at a time when HD televisions were rare (or didn't exist?). No other console at the time could do that. Definitely ahead of its time in that sense.

When the Xbox came out, I watched as they basically copied everything that was popular in gaming at the time. They just added more power. The only thing I'll give them credit for was the internal HDD and the awesome online functions. When I found out that they could download game content, I was pretty impressed. That's about it, though.

Now, the Xbox 360? That was an awesome console! It kept evolving and adding new features right up to the end. Compared to what other consoles were doing when it launched, it truly was next gen! PS3 came along and offered many of its features but you have to give credit to the 360 for doing so much stuff and doing it first. It's a great console, even today!

Edit: Shout out to the CD ripper ability.  I think they had custom soundtracks on the original Xbox.  That's a cool feature that I miss nowadays.  Nobody buys CDs but still, an ability to copy MP3s would be swell.

Netty said:
DonFerrari said:

I may be wrong, but gran turismo 4 run up to 1080i. And resolution is just natural evolution not being ahead of it's time.

The original Xbox was capable of rendering natively at 720p at a time when HD televisions were rare (or didn't exist?). No other console at the time could do that. Definitely ahead of its time in that sense.

well this link shows 4 games displayed 1080i https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gran_Turismo_4

and if you want to talk about resolution as being ahead of its time you could put 3 1080p monitors to play gt 5 for you that would be ahead of time?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

HoloDust said:
Abun said:

Half Life traces back to the PS2 as welll as Baldor's Gate.PC games started coming to consoles during the PSX and Doom was on the SNES long before there was an Xbox.The most popular games trace back to PlayStation and some a Nintendo platform such as FPS.Companies like Eidos,EA,Activison,Ubisoft and Take Two all got huge from the PlayStation console which lead to Western devs being where they are at.All Western devs are not PC developers.The Xbox did nothing for Western developers or PC devs when you look at the history.Some of you people don't know gaming history I see.I grew up during that time period and remember well when Western devs expanded and when PC games started coming to console as did the people around me.

Oh dear...look, I don't want to be rude, I understand that you're quite young, so you have usual cockiness of someone in his early 20s, but you should really check facts before posting randomly.

As someone who's twice (and then some) your age and been PC gamer since '95 (computer gamer since early 80s), I was actually there when titles like Doom, Half-Life and Baldur's Gate released (all of those accidently are some of my favourite games) - those were all PC franchises that later got either ports, sequels or, in BG's case, spin-offs on consoles...which console is quite unimportant, since focus of my previous post is that those titles are originally PC IPs.

As for PS2 and Xbox - PS2 was very, very important console for western devs heading into console market, but Xbox was something that PC devs understood quite well and could easily work with, making both PC and Xbox versions of their games without a lot of trouble. 360 built on that, and biggest legacy of Xbox, IMO, is that now (more or less) all consoles are PC-alike.

Was taking a dig at his age necessary to prove your point that he was wrong? You could have just posted a source to prove him wrong.

Around the Network
Aeolus451 said:
HoloDust said:

Was taking a dig at his age necessary to prove your point that he was wrong? You could have just posted a source to prove him wrong.

Given his tone in last part on his post, while being completely uninformed, plus his general tone in the thread...yeah, I say it was absolutely necessary.

Indeed OG Xbox was great. Got one new as a gift, and played it a ton. Still works today. My 7th gen consoles however could not last half a generation.

I probably rented Halo 2 $150 worth then bought the legendary edition and the map packs. One of my top 10 games to this day. Its sad that Halo 3 was such a letdown to me.

Morrowind still the best elder scrolls game imo. Fable also best fable.

It still kind of funny to me that the new brands seems to have the most passion behind it. PS1, Wii and Xbox brands were great pushes in gaming. Hoping the same magic can happen with NX.

DonFerrari said:

Netty said:

well this link shows 4 games displayed 1080i https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gran_Turismo_4

and if you want to talk about resolution as being ahead of its time you could put 3 1080p monitors to play gt 5 for you that would be ahead of time?

Gran Turismo 4 still rendered internally at 480p when outputting to 1080i. Kind of like how you can set an Xbox 360 to output at 1080p when most games render at a lower resolution internally.

Having a system support an internal rendering resolution that wouldn't be mainstream for years is very much a feature that is ahead of its time.