By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - If you think about it, the original xbox was ahead of its time besides xbox live.

Snoopy said:

I was refering to second one, but it still the biggest game valve ever made and it was what made half life really popular.

You think the XBOX port is what made Half-Life 2 really popular?

Around the Network
Boutros said:
Snoopy said:

I was refering to second one, but it still the biggest game valve ever made and it was what made half life really popular.

You think the XBOX port is what made Half-Life 2 really popular?

Obviously not, but did made it more popular thats for sure.

zero129 said:
Ka-pi96 said:
Half Life? I played that on my PS2...

Pretty sure Doom and Counter Strike predate Xbox by a long way. Besides I didn't even know they were on the system despite owning one myself, same with Morrowind actually.

As for the other stuff, it seems to me the Xbox 360 was MUCH more important for those than the original Xbox.

But it still cant be denied that the original xbox Paved the way for PC developers to enter the console space at a time when them type of games where mainly on PC.

Even if it wasnt until the xbox360 when them type of games really took off in the console space it was still the original xbox that opened the doors for them once PC only developers.

This so much. Somebody gets it.

Halo showed that a FPS could be as good on a console (if not better) than a PC so in that regard the XBOX was
very influential. The problem with the console IMO was that other than Halo 2 no other games match the quality of the launch title. A bit of a let down there.
Also first XBOX controller was a turd.... And the size and weight of the console itself yikes!
Despite some good ideas and high specs the PS2 ruled the day.

Ka-pi96 said:
tripenfall said:
Halo showed that a FPS could be as good on a console (if not better) than a PC so in that regard the XBOX was
very influential. The problem with the console IMO was that other than Halo 2 no other games match the quality of the launch title. A bit of a let down there.
Also first XBOX controller was a turd.... And the size and weight of the console itself yikes!
Despite some good ideas and high specs the PS2 ruled the day.

Do Call of Duty, Medal of Honour, Timesplitters, Half-Life, Red Faction etc not count? Or are you just calling them all crap?

On consoles.... yes.

Around the Network

Pretty much every game u listed besides Halo had been around since before Xbox.....but I do agree that it was ahead of its time in many aspects like online, having a hard drive, digital downloads

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Exactly one game of the ones mentioned was made popular by Xbox, and that's the only game that's exclusive. The others were made popular by PC.

You forgot the HD the Xbox had. While people were spending so much money for memory cards it was great to not worry about it on Xbox...

Not sure we can say it was ahead of its time for bringing PC games to consoles.

If we look back a generation we can see a number of PC centric devs releasing games on consoles; Starcraft, SimCity, Quake I & II, Duke Nukem, Rainbow Six and Carmageddon. It also was the first console which demonstrated console FPS' could work with Goldeneye. From what I remember the PS1 even had a Diablo port.

In the same gen PS2 received a number of PC franchises in Quake III, Half-Life, Deus Ex and Unreal Tournament. Sure, Microsoft helped with the porting due to DirectX, but I don't think it was until 360 that PC centric devs really started to push their games onto consoles. The most obvious examples being Infinity Ward developing both the PC/360 versions of CoD2, Epic making Gears exclusively for 360, FEAR being ported, Oblivion having a more console friendly interface and Bioshock (as the spiritual successor to System Shock 2) releasing day and date with PC.

The exception to this I think is in wRPGs. Bioware brought out Star Wars: KoToR on Xbox first, Bethesda released Morrowind on Xbox/console for the first time, Eidos released Deus Ex Invisible War with Xbox's limitations in mind, and of course MS had Fable.

And you say that as if it was good thing??? I don't care much about any of the games you listed, so Xbox paving the way to them won't affect me unless you want to consider I preffer Final Fantasy to the WRPGS and preffer japanese games to GTAs or FPSs.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."