By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Whats going on with Retro???

spemanig said:
Soundwave said:

I don't think Nintendo has interest in making an Uncharted/Halo style game.

Though to specifically address this point, I first want to say that I brought up those games specifically to examplify the common audience they have. I don't think its accurate at all to say that Nintendo is disinterested in applealing to this audience. I just think that Nintendo has believed that it could appeal to this audience without putting in the effort through third party games.

I used Pirates of the Carribian as a better example. I think Nintendo will want to start making more deliberate steps in appealing to more audiences internally than they have been thus far. The audience that buys those games is the most dominant in the industry, and there's no way Nintendo doesn't look at that and earnestly want in on that.

Will that desire manifest itself in the kind of Retro game I'm describing? Who knows? I didn't bring it up because it's likely. I brought it up because it would be a very intelligent use of their talent. On that would be more beneficial for the NX than DKRR because the sales of that would be mostly new people, where as the sales from a new DKR would mostly be from the kinds of people Nintendo already appeals to. Would it make money? Absolutely. It would sell a ton of software, but a new IP like I'm describing would not only sell its own software, but more hardware as well as third party software on the NX that overlaps with the tastes of games like that.

Someone who bought Retro-charted for the NX is infinitely more likely to buy COD, AssCreed, etc on it than someone who bought the NX for DKR. That difference is super valuable and something I think Retro could do. And I think it's in Nintendo's best intrest to let them. I think the possibility's high for Retro to be making a new IP. They've earned that. I just don't know what kind of IP that would be. It could be a maskot platformer or it could be what I'm describing. It could be anything.

I don't think Nintendo can compete with Sony/MS. Even if they have "one" game like this, those other platforms get that type of game every month (literally) and sometimes several times a month. 

It's just not in Nintendo's wheelhouse and their previous attempts at "diversity" have largely failed because of this ... Bayonetta on Wii U, Resident Evil on GameCube, the Metroid Prime series in general (sold OK, but nowhere close to the big Sony/MS IPs like Halo or Uncharted). People don't buy a system just because a platform has one game in the style they like, for Sony/MS 95% of their marketing, 1st/2nd party releases, etc. is for people who like games like Uncharted, Halo, COD, Destiny, etc. 

For Nintendo it's the inverse basically, go to Nintendo.com right now and look at their game roster, it looks like something from a elementary school storybook (not saying that those games aren't fun or can't be enjoyed/apperciated by adults). It's just very, very different with the occassional Xenoblade throw in once in a blue moon for "diversity" sake. 

It would be like Sony saying they want to make a new Pokemon. They just don't have the demographics for that type of franchise. 

Maybe they would be smart to try and change it, but I doubt it. If anything Nintendo is more sugary-sweet and cartoon mascot oriented today than they were even in the 1990s. 

And you know what? Maybe that's ok. If Sony/MS are going to focus 95% of their energy on violent action/adventure games mixed in with some sports sims and nothing but, maybe Nintendo's role is to act as the "family console". It's a shame that that type of device doesn't have a huge market these days, but it's probably Nintendo's place to do it. 

Around the Network
MegaDrive08 said:

So they have been working on a game since late 2013 i believe, nearly two years and we havent heard a thing, apart from them advertising job positions quiet a few times, so whats going on?? do you think its going to be a wiiu game still? Seems a bit late to announce a major game for WiiU seen as its looking like 2016 is the U's last year, or will it have been moved to NX as a launch title maybe!!

Well it's entirely possible  that one of the games they're making is a Wii U game still. Remember that Miyamoto or someone did mention that they were big enough to start working on multiple projects now, so it's possible they've been making more than one thing. And besides, even if NX comes out in 2017, there is nothing saying that a Retro game couldn't come out, say, next fall/holiday season, or early in 2017.

I just keep not understanding this NX if its just another home console like most are expecting. How can it be a bigger sucess than the Wii U? I don't know.

It does look like retro's game got pulled at the last minute. The reason is a mistery... but if its a game they were ready to reveal and is now beeing ported to NX 6months from the game's release... it sounds like a huge waste of money.
Fingers crossed that it is Metroid prime and it will be out next year.

well.... last time we saw Retro saying something for real, was at the launch of Tropical Freeze.
I remember something like...... they wanted to work with Donkey kong, and they had another project that was kept in bay until they finished DKTF, but nobody knows what that project was about.
I have a guess but it may still be something unlikely: a new Luigi´s Mansion game. Back in 2013 there was a rumor that a new Luigi´s Mansion game OR the 3ds Luigi´s Mansion would be in works for the WiiU.
I don´t believe they working on a new Metroid game.... we know by now that there are a few games not announced yet for the WiiU..... but which ones? It´s anyone guess

Nem said:
I just keep not understanding this NX if its just another home console like most are expecting. How can it be a bigger sucess than the Wii U? I don't know.

It does look like retro's game got pulled at the last minute. The reason is a mistery... but if its a game they were ready to reveal and is now beeing ported to NX 6months from the game's release... it sounds like a huge waste of money.

Because Wii U was bloody mess, all Nintendo decisions around Wii U were bad decisions expect great Nintendo games, with Wii U anything that could go wrong went wrong. Even if Nintendo dont report just half of those bad Wii U decisions with NX it will much bigger sucess, and Nintendo already adressed almost all Wii U mistakes and they will not repeat them.

Mistery!? They decided to move project on NX because it's more important to have strong game at beginning of new console life than have strong game at end of (bad selling) console life. Wii U has terrible launch games and pretty weak lineup of games in first year, they dont want to repeat same mistake with NX.

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
spemanig said:

Not nessecarily. I wouldn't say it's "very likely" at all. I mean, I could see them selling near equally, but I definitely don't think that it would move more consoles than a game like that.

Diddy Kong Racing certainly would sell much much better than those and similar games, games like you mentioned doesn't sell very well on Nintendo platforms and thats fact, but Kart game with Nintendo characters are always one of the best selling game on any Nintendo platform.

That's only due Nintendo home console owners not beeing interested in playing that kind of game in the majority of cases, but Knowing how Ubisoft and Activision have "good" relationships with Nintendo I'm shure they could make NX the console for the average FPS player with a really good Retro game. It's always better to have the largest userbase possible to launch a console, plus if most of players buy a NX for "The Last of Retro", COD NX and Assassin's Creed NX then those developers will be interested in making more games for the NX, giving the platform a more appealing schedule. I mean Nintendo can shurely make us regular fans happy with NX making a 3D Mario game, a sequel to splatoon, a Zelda new game/port, a few new games and what we usually get next, why shouldn't they try to make happy OTHER people ?

They must be busy with their Donkey thing games. Not that people is excited anymore about their work, at least not since they moved from Metroid.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Miyamotoo said:
Nem said:

Because Wii U was bloody mess, all Nintendo decisions around Wii U were bad decisions expect great Nintendo games, with Wii U anything that could go wrong went wrong. Even if Nintendo dont report just half of those bad Wii U decisions with NX it will much bigger sucess, and Nintendo already adressed almost all Wii U mistakes and they will not repeat them.

Mistery!? They decided to move project on NX because it's more important to have strong game at beginning of new console life than have strong game at end of (bad selling) console life. Wii U has terrible launch games and pretty weak lineup of games in first year, they dont want to repeat same mistake with NX.

To the first point. The last Nintendo system was a sales failure. Why would the consumer jump into this one after they were burned with the Wii U? There has to be a twist like the motion controls for the Wii. The NX has no hope to catch up with the PS4 aswell, so its doomed to failure  already if you ask me. It probably won't even catch up to the X1.

3rd parties have lost faith in Nintendo. 3rd party games always sell badly on Nintendo systems... so i don't know how they will change policy without something important changing at Nintendo.

And yes, its a mistery. You believe that, but theres no way to be sure. Unless they have some crazy scheme, i think the NX will be a bigger failure than the Wii U.

We also seem to ignore the fact that the most logical thing is that the NX is a new portable... or even more likely just some health related thing as it was always revealed as the third pillar. System for Wii fit/dance software. 

By now thing may have morphed. Who knows...

Better to annouce the game 6 month- 1 year ahead of release then 3-6 years....

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Game e3 2016 nx

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

I Hate REMASTERS

I Hate PLAYSTATION PLUS