By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Whats going on with Retro???

forest-spirit said:
Tropical Freeze got treated like crap by Wii U owners so it's not like we're worthy of another Retro game anyway.

Well certainly wasn't best Nintendo chose to release ontoher DK 2D game just 3 year after previous DK 2D game and less than year after 3DS DK Wii port. Also, Tropical Freeze is probably around 1m, that isnt bad for instal base of 10m.

Around the Network

A Metroid Prime game for NX's launch would be huge.

As much as I want it to be Diddy Kong Racing Returns, I really think it would be immensely beneficial for Nintendo to let them be their Naughty Dog and have them produce a new AAA mainstream appealing western IP.

Like I said, Retros effort with Metroid and Donkey Kong absolutely outclass pre-Uncharted ND's efforts with Jak & Daxter or Crash. With that in mind, there is so much potential in what Retro could do when ushered in a similar direction at Nintendo, and it would give the company a seriously needed exclusive IP that would appeal to an audience they are severely lacking and desperately need and have neglected for generations.

So my real hopes are on that. A big, new IP from Retro. One that appeals to the type of person who thinks that Uncharted 2 and TLOU are the greatest games of all time. Only made by Retro, who are frankly much better game designers than ND, meaning this potential franchise could be that much better than those, at least from a gameplay and level design perspective. Then all they'd need to do is hire a decent writer and VERY good VA talent. Retro could seriously make something outstanding.

Launch that game with the NX/make it a launch window game, and that would be titanic for that system, especially when it comes to making 3rd party western games successful on the platform, which is the biggest reason they need to do this.

EDIT: I don't even think it needs to be Rated M. It might actually be a more successful franchise if its Rated T. I always compare Nintendo to Disney - this could be their Pirates of the Carribean. It just really needs good production values, especially in the script and VA where Retro's games traditionally lack any. I think they can get the presentation, I know they can nail the music and sound design, and the gameplay will be unrivaled by those of its ilk. It's the storytelling that would make or break its appeal, and they'd need to really take that seriously.

Launch title Metroid for NX. NX to launch with Metroid and Zelda. You heard it here first folks.

the_dark_lewd said:
Launch title Metroid for NX. NX to launch with Metroid and Zelda. You heard it here first folks.

Retro isn't working on Metroid. No major Metroid game had been in developement until atleast after this past E3, meanwhile Retro has been making thing game since the end of 2013.

Around the Network

It should be noted that, a while back, Tamaki of unseen64 fame said that Retro's game was a Wii U game with a new engine. He said that in April.

spemanig said:

As much as I want it to be Diddy Kong Racing Returns, I really think it would be immensely beneficial for Nintendo to let them be their Naughty Dog and have them produce a new AAA mainstream appealing western IP.

Diddy Kong Racing would be AAA game appealing to West too, it would be huge title, just look Mario Kart for Wii U.

spemanig said:
the_dark_lewd said:

Retro isn't working on Metroid. No major Metroid game had been in developement until atleast after this past E3, meanwhile Retro has been making thing game since the end of 2013.

We cant know that for sure, Nintendo certainly wouldn't say if they working on new Metroid Prime and not showing it, on contrary, I say new Metroid Prime is in development from 2013/2014.

Miyamotoo said:

Diddy Kong Racing would be AAA game appealing to West too, it would be huge title, just look Mario Kart for Wii U.

You know exactly what I'm talking about, though. DKRR would be appealing to a redundant audience for which Nintendo already has an abundance of games and IP to appeal to with. DKR is not at all appealing to the "mainstream western" audience that I'm describing.

I'm talking about Retro making a title that appeals to the people who but the PS4/XBO for The Witcher 3, Destiny, Infamous: SS, Uncharted 4, Halo 5, TLOU:R, Battlefront III, Watch_Dogs, Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, etc. Diddy Kong Racing Returns is not that game.

Miyamotoo said:

We cant know that for sure, Nintendo certainly wouldn't say if they working on new Metroid Prime and not showing it, on contrary, I say new Metroid Prime is in development from 2013/2014.