By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Whats going on with Retro???

I don't think Nintendo has interest in making an Uncharted/Halo style game. And certainly wouldn't give that kind of a budget to a Western studio over a Japanese one.

A good Diddy Kong Racing game is an easy million seller for them and guaranteed profit.

I liked the N64 game anyway, so I'd be happy with it being brought back.

Half of Nintendo's franchise stable is redundant anyway. Do you need Yoshi, DK, and Kirby platformers when you already have Mario? Do you need two Mario RPG series'? Do you need Mario Party and Wii Party and now Animal Crossing Amiibo party? etc. etc. Seeing as how there's really only one new Mario Kart per generation per platform, Diddy Kong Racing could easily move in and become a bankable franchise for them. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

I don't think Nintendo has interest in making an Uncharted/Halo style game. And certainly wouldn't give that kind of a budget to a Western studio over a Japanese one.

A good Diddy Kong Racing game is an easy million seller for them and guaranteed profit.

I liked the N64 game anyway, so I'd be happy with it being brought back.

Half of Nintendo's franchise stable is redundant anyway. Do you need Yoshi, DK, and Kirby platformers when you already have Mario? Do you need two Mario RPG series'? Do you need Mario Party and Wii Party and now Animal Crossing Amiibo party? etc. etc. Seeing as how there's really only one new Mario Kart per generation per platform, Diddy Kong Racing could easily move in and become a bankable franchise for them. 

I'd rather Retro make a DKR game. I thought the original was better than MK64, and I'd love for Retro specifically to bring that franchise back, but I think Nintendo has a really good opportunity with Retro to appeal to a market they know they're weak in appealing to. I think they'd absolutely give that kind of budget to Retro.

I'm not saying Nintendo's franchises aren't redundantly appealing. You're completely and perhaps deliberately misinterpreting the context surrounding my use of that word for the sake of creating an argument, Soundwave. Again, that entire last paragraph is completely irrelevant to the point I was making. To the point where I actively agree with all of it.

spemanig said:
Miyamotoo said:

Diddy Kong Racing would be AAA game appealing to West too, it would be huge title, just look Mario Kart for Wii U.

You know exactly what I'm talking about, though. DKRR would be appealing to a redundant audience for which Nintendo already has an abundance of games and IP to appeal to with. DKR is not at all appealing to the "mainstream western" audience that I'm describing.

I'm talking about Retro making a title that appeals to the people who but the PS4/XBO for The Witcher 3, Destiny, Infamous: SS, Uncharted 4, Halo 5, TLOU:R, Battlefront III, Watch_Dogs, Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, etc. Diddy Kong Racing Returns is not that game.

I know what you thinking, but Diddy Kong Racing would very likly sell much better and move more Nintendo consoles than something similar too Witcher 3, Destiny, Infamous: SS, Uncharted 4, Halo 5, TLOU:R, Battlefront III, Watch_Dogs, Assassin's Creed, Far Cry..

Soundwave said:

I don't think Nintendo has interest in making an Uncharted/Halo style game.

Though to specifically address this point, I first want to say that I brought up those games specifically to examplify the common audience they have. I don't think its accurate at all to say that Nintendo is disinterested in applealing to this audience. I just think that Nintendo has believed that it could appeal to this audience without putting in the effort through third party games.

I used Pirates of the Carribian as a better example. I think Nintendo will want to start making more deliberate steps in appealing to more audiences internally than they have been thus far. The audience that buys those games is the most dominant in the industry, and there's no way Nintendo doesn't look at that and earnestly want in on that.

Will that desire manifest itself in the kind of Retro game I'm describing? Who knows? I didn't bring it up because it's likely. I brought it up because it would be a very intelligent use of their talent. On that would be more beneficial for the NX than DKRR because the sales of that would be mostly new people, where as the sales from a new DKR would mostly be from the kinds of people Nintendo already appeals to. Would it make money? Absolutely. It would sell a ton of software, but a new IP like I'm describing would not only sell its own software, but more hardware as well as third party software on the NX that overlaps with the tastes of games like that.

Someone who bought Retro-charted for the NX is infinitely more likely to buy COD, AssCreed, etc on it than someone who bought the NX for DKR. That difference is super valuable and something I think Retro could do. And I think it's in Nintendo's best intrest to let them. I think the possibility's high for Retro to be making a new IP. They've earned that. I just don't know what kind of IP that would be. It could be a maskot platformer or it could be what I'm describing. It could be anything.

spemanig said:
Miyamotoo said:

We cant know that for sure, Nintendo certainly wouldn't say if they working on new Metroid Prime and not showing it, on contrary, I say new Metroid Prime is in development from 2013/2014.

Well this is true, Nintendo certainly wouldn't say if they working on new Metroid Prime and not showing it, or saying on this years E3 "yes new Metroid Prime is in work but we will showing it for one year and its for NX platform you dont know anything about and that we will be revealed to next year too".

Around the Network
Justagamer said:
Whatever they're making, I hope it's for the nx, and, whatever they're making, I sure as hell hope it isn't Diddy Kong racing.... if it is, I will be super pissed. Fuck Diddy Kong racing, make something good. We already have mariokart.

That doesn't make any sense.  We already have a kart racer so if they make another one it won't be good lol.

Miyamotoo said:

I know what you thinking, but Diddy Kong Racing would very likly sell much better and move more Nintendo consoles than something similar too Witcher 3, Destiny, Infamous: SS, Uncharted 4, Halo 5, TLOU:R, Battlefront III, Watch_Dogs, Assassin's Creed, Far Cry..

Not nessecarily. I wouldn't say it's "very likely" at all. I mean, I could see them selling near equally, but I definitely don't think that it would move more consoles than a game like that.

Miyamotoo said:

Well this is true, Nintendo certainly wouldn't say if they working on new Metroid Prime and not showing it, or saying on this years E3 "yes new Metroid Prime is in work but we will showing it for one year and its for NX platform you dont know anything about and that we will be revealed to next year too".

Mhm.

KingdomHeartsFan said:

That doesn't make any sense.  We already have a kart racer so if they make another one it won't be good lol.

There's only room for one good game in every genre. Everything else sucks by default.

spemanig said:
Miyamotoo said:

Not nessecarily. I wouldn't say it's "very likely" at all. I mean, I could see them selling near equally, but I definitely don't think that it would move more consoles than a game like that.

Diddy Kong Racing certainly would sell much much better than those and similar games, games like you mentioned doesn't sell very well on Nintendo platforms and thats fact, but Kart game with Nintendo characters are always one of the best selling game on any Nintendo platform.