By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Where will Youkai Watch become more popular, Eurpe or America?

Tagged games:

Where will Youkai Watch become more popular, Eurpe or America?

America. 38 41.76%

Europe. 24 26.37%

It won't take of on either market. 24 26.37%

A Casper VS Youkai Watch ... 5 5.49%

Total:91

With Youkai Watch becoming a massive hit in Japan, even giving Pokemon a run for its money, I'm sure YW will be pushed as mush as Nintendo/Level 5 possibly can.  In terms of sales, the 3DS has sold better in NA. Europe, on the other hand, has a better track on games aimed at younger audiences, at least on the 3DS (Lego games, Tomodachi Life, Animal Crossing, and Level 5's own Prof. Layton). Where will Youkai Watch become more popular, Europe or NA? Or will it fail to live up to a fraction of its japanese success in both markets?

EDIT:

Here we have the opening week for Youkai Watch in the US. I'll post the european opening when it comes out.

JAPAN RELEASE WEEK 14 July 2013

Youkai Watch (3DS)
Level 5, Role-Playing
53,681 53,681 1

It debuted the 2nd game on the Japan chart of that week. Best selling handheld game on the list, and second best Nintendo game (game on a Nintendo system), only behind Pikmin 3. It released alongside Pikmin 3, New Super Luigi U, MGS Legacy collection and Dead Island Riptide.

US RELEASE WEEK  7th November 2015

Yokai Watch (3DS)
Nintendo, Role-Playing
21,507 21,507 1

It debuted the 24th game on the US chart of that week. Best selling handheld game on the list, and third best Nintendo game on the list (game on a Nintendo system), behind of Mario Maker (20th) and Yoshi's Wooly World (22th). It released alongside Call of Duty Black Ops III and Need for Speed (2015). 

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

usually i would say europe so ill say europe

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

Europe is my guess.

I think the french will eat this shit up

America

America. won't be that big like Pokemon but it would sell better in the US than Europe.

Around the Network

To be honest, I don' think Yokai Watch will catch on anywhere else.. : /

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Just watched a episode. Not a fan, not a fan of Pokemon either. I think I'm just too old for it. I live in usa. LOL. Yall are talking about a game? Sorry was talking about a episode on tv.

Europe

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

My guess is that it'll do better in America, but NoA is still hilariously bad at getting these sorts of things out - at least NoE has an official anime channel.

In fact, I'd wager that in the absence of any mainline Pokémon game this year, NoE will do a better job with the advertising, but more in America will get to view the anime.

So, Europe it is.

But, please do note: This is relative to hoe large the install base is in Europe.

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3

twintail said:
Cloudman said:
To be honest, I don' think Yokai Watch will catch on anywhere else.. : /

I say this.

Honestly, the Pokemon games are miles better than YW in everything but maybe aesthetics. 

Pokémon games are boring, repetitive and run poorly. The first two generations were amazing because things were still fresh, now it's so fucking stale. I doubt you even played a YW game...

And lol at the "maybe" aesthetics part, YW games look a lot better, there's no doubt about that. The aliasing in Pokémon is some of the worst on the 3DS. The battle system is a complete borefest of spamming the same attack over and over again in SP. There's no strategy or tactics involved at all and the story is horrible.

Quality has little to do with sales in most cases.