By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Once Zelda goes open world, will it ever go back? *EDITED*

Don't worry, the people from Nintendo EAD know very well what they're doing. The Legend of Zelda Wii U will have at least 90 points in Metacritic and it will have a very large open world (but I don't know if the size of the Zelda's world of the upcoming game will be similar to Xenoblade Chronicles X.

PD: Sorry, I was about five days without posting, I was busy and I took some important decisions... But I'll be back in VGChartz.

PD 2: The banner of Nautilus with the Iwata "directly" is very funny (:

Around the Network

Isnt zelda already an open world/

I don't really care all that much where it goes. Just give me my dungeons to solve, my heart pieces to collect, my tools that let me explore more of the world, and throw in Ganondorf doing something bad to people I care about so I get motivated to stop him.

kljesta64 said:
first zelda game was the first true open world game

Yeah, not really - both Ultima 1 and Elite predate it, to mention just those two, since they are well known.

Probably not. There really aren't many examples of open world series going back to non-open world.

Maybe wind waker going to twilight princess and skyward sword is one of the only examples.

Around the Network
HoloDust said:
kljesta64 said:
first zelda game was the first true open world game

Yeah, not really - both Ultima 1 and Elite predate it, to mention just those two, since they are well known.

yes really and no they dont.

like i said true open world meaning from start of the game you can play the dungeons in any order (meaning you can go wherever you want) except for the last dungeon.

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

HylianYoshi said:
maxleresistant said:
I hope not, all "Open World" games are repetitive and boring.
The best thing about Zelda being "linear", is that it serves the gameplay and the storytelling, instead of just serving the "freedom" of the player.

Open world games are good for sandbox games like GTA or Just Cause, because the main thing to do is go around and have fun wrecking stuff. But for games like AC, Far Cry, the Arkham Series, etc etc, it gets really old really quick.
That is the difference between Arkham Asylum, a perfect game, and the rest of the series, which is really not as good.
Games needs to be kept to the point, tight gameplay, tight story, no filler, no boring side quests.

The thing is, you could really just only play through the main story if you don't like the sidequests. Then that just leaves the gameplay, which is what defines a game better than just "open world". That's the main focus. I take it you just really hate traversing large landscapes.

Depends of the number of times you are traversing it. The variety etc.

Zelda should be ok, because there are mountains, fields, towns, beaches, snow, lava, deserts. Etc etc. But for example, traversing the Far Cry 3 map got really boring really quick.

And it all depends on how you use all those landscapes. The game should not make you feel like you are doing lots and lots of back and forth.

As for the sidequests, you can't just leave them, because in most of openworld, you need them to get more XP, or more equipments to finish the game. In zelda you need to collect hearts, in Far cry 3 you need to hunt, etc etc. So no, those "side"quests are  not optional. And in many open world, they are just the same quests you are repeating over and over

I too, am of this mindset.

A Link Between Worlds follows all your precursors for open world, even with the edited portion. There are many paths you can take to progress. In many ways, more so than lots of other 'open world' games like FO3, Oblivion, GTA 3/4 ect. All these games follow story progression so despite their less linear side quests, the story still needs to progress in one direction, or at least you might have the option of a choice or two that might give a variant in the story line, but they always have a focal point that needs to follow to continue with the story.

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.

They can always go back if there is a need for it like how ALBW ended up being one the best Zelda games

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]