By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Once Zelda goes open world, will it ever go back? *EDITED*

Wyrdness said:
spemanig said:

I don't agree with that at all. I think there 100% is a way that Zelda should not be, and many of the main games fall into that, and are therefor significantly less enjoyable because of it.

And most of those games are the 3D Zelda's. People harp on MM being such a unique Zelda, but MM is more of a classic Zelda game than OoT, TP, and SS combined. It's definitely more like Zelda NES in structure and progression that OoT ever was, which is exactly why it's both a better Zelda game and a better game on its own.

The only thing Zelda should be always is an adventure title other then that they can change up the approach to suit, the series is great for not having a uniformed approach, I can go back to each game and still enjoy them because for most part they're not trying to be clones of each other with better graphics and they each have their own focal points and way of executing the Zelda concept, that's what I like each game for what they do.

It doesn't bother me if one game doesn't do what another does and it shouldn't bother any Zelda fan either, Zelda is like the way it is to be open to the prospect differing approaches. You just end up falling in the trap of not liking one game because it's not like WW for example.

Once again, this. I enjoy Zelda games because most are very different from each other.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:
Cream147 said:
I wouldn't want to predict what Nintendo will do with the series going forwards. The open seas of WW, the discrete areas of SS, the time-travelling weirdness of MM, or the "OoT model" seen in both OoT and TP are all different ways of presenting a 3D world. Given their propensity then to change this then, I think it would be a brave person who says Nintendo will make all their Zelda games "open world" from now on.

I'd say they're all already open world they just have different structures applied to them with the new game going for a more seamless approach. Zelda has mainly been about changing approach to the concept, I'm in the group that likes each game for what they do rather then what they don't do from previous games and this is a problem in the Zelda following where a lot of people thinks the's a uniform way Zelda should be.

The new approach may add a mainstay to the concept like some previous games have though with it's seamless world having a good possibility of becoming a template for future gaming world.

Yep, well I pretty much agree with all of that.

It is true that this game could be the start of adding open-world or seamless world or whatever you want to call it to the concept of what Zelda is, in the same way that ALttP and OoT changed the direction of the Zelda series quite dramatically into a more story and puzzle-orientated affair. The thing is, I don't think we've seen that kind of redefining or tweaking the Zelda concept really since those games, so I still wouldn't predict it.