By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Thanks to Brawl! Shovelware Machine passes RRoD Machine in Million Seller!

Most pointless thread ever.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network

japanese game sales (for 360 and wii) make me sad. wii fit/sports/play make up 7 of those 14 million in sales. bioshock is crying in its sleep over there.

TheRealMafoo said:
fazz said:
user_nat said:
Nearly 20 Wii Sports and 10m Wii play kinda helps there..

Well, those can't be counted out, because you would need to count out all the pack in that the 360 has/had.

Then count those out and give us the numbers.

When the dusty lens machine really does outsell the 360 on software, tell me. Don't play with statistics.

Dusty lense machine? Hate the Wii much fanboy?

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Sullla said:
I don't think this is a particularly fair comparison to the 360, which has bundled some games from time to time, but nothing on the order of Wii Sports. Still, what it does show is that the Wii has done a tremendous job of moving software, contrary to what many on the Internet still believe. At this time last year, I believe that the 360 had about 16 million sellers, so the Wii is easily winning that year-on-year comparison.

I see it's impossible to have any thread about Wii million sellers without someone bringing up third parties... *sigh* Someone please tell me why it's "atrocious" for the Wii to have eight third-party million sellers, while the PS3 currently only has five - despite VASTLY more time and money going into the latter platform.

However, those 5 on the PS3 represent 63% of the total, and with this year's lineup expect that trend to continue. 

Wii's 8 on the other hand represent only 38%, and by the OP logic a paltry 17.3% of actual games sold.

For comparison, 3rd party titles makeup 77% of the 360's million sellers. 

lego will be a million seller today when others sales are added.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Around the Network

Wii Sports shouldn't even be considered a game....

De85 said:
Sullla said:

I see it's impossible to have any thread about Wii million sellers without someone bringing up third parties... *sigh* Someone please tell me why it's "atrocious" for the Wii to have eight third-party million sellers, while the PS3 currently only has five - despite VASTLY more time and money going into the latter platform.

However, those 5 on the PS3 represent 63% of the total, and with this year's lineup expect that trend to continue. 

Wii's 8 on the other hand represent only 38%, and by the OP logic a paltry 17.3% of actual games sold.

For comparison, 3rd party titles makeup 77% of the 360's million sellers. 

Hey, that's nice and all. Too bad it's completely meaningless as a statistic. Why should anyone care about the percentage of million sellers that are third party? The only thing that matters is how much software you sell; the ratio of first- to third-party holds no weight. So let's look at the third-party million sellers for fun:

Wii
Mario and Sonic 3.5m
Guitar Hero III 1.98m
Resident Evil IV 1.67m
Rayman 1.29m
Carnival Games 1.25m
Sonic Secret Rings 1.19m
Red Steel 1.04m
Umbrella Chronicles 1.01m
Total: 12.93m

PS3
Call of Duty 4 2.63m
Assassin's Creed 2.36m
Pro Evo 2008 1.35m
FIFA 08 1.19m
Need for Speed Prostreet 1.07m
Total: 8.60m

It's not even a close comparison. What you're essentially saying is that Nintendo should be somehow penalized for having tremendous first-party software sales. Or, to put it another way, a console with a single third-party million seller (100% woot!) is a better platform for development than one with two dozen each first- and third-party million sellers (only 50%). Needless to say, that dosn't make any logical sense.

All that matters is third-party software sales, period. Both the Wii and 360 (and, for that matter, the DS) look excellent by this standard. PS3 (and PSP) somewhat less so. If I wanted to be a real ass, I could also mention here that NONE of the PS3's third-party million sellers are exclusives, but I will refrain from doing so.

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)

yay!!! first step toward reconquering the title of most million sellers

NameConsolePublisherJapanAmericaOthersTotal
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic GamesSega0.531.311.663.50
Guitar Hero III: Legends of RockRedOctane0.001.710.271.98
Resident Evil 4: Wii EditionCapcom0.140.840.691.67
Rayman Raving RabbidsUbisoft0.020.790.481.29
Carnival GamesGlobal Star0.000.770.481.25
Sonic and the Secret RingsSega0.040.430.721.19
Red SteelUbisoft0.040.460.541.04
Resident Evil: Umbrella ChroniclesCapcom0.260.480.271.01
Totals (8 matches)   12.93

Without Nintendo

"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."

Your theories are the worst kind of popular tripe, your methods are sloppy, and your conclusions are highly questionable! You are a poor scientist. Especially if you think the moon landing was faked.

ioi + 1

"Shovelware machine"
"RROD machine"
No comment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyLhpUPNPIs

360 IS OPERATIONAL AFTER 37 DAYS!