By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Thanks to Brawl! Shovelware Machine passes RRoD Machine in Million Seller!

man i am glad i made this pic

moar funny pictures

Around the Network

Well done Ninty supreme

I don't think this is a particularly fair comparison to the 360, which has bundled some games from time to time, but nothing on the order of Wii Sports. Still, what it does show is that the Wii has done a tremendous job of moving software, contrary to what many on the Internet still believe. At this time last year, I believe that the 360 had about 16 million sellers, so the Wii is easily winning that year-on-year comparison.

I see it's impossible to have any thread about Wii million sellers without someone bringing up third parties... *sigh* Someone please tell me why it's "atrocious" for the Wii to have eight third-party million sellers, while the PS3 currently only has five - despite VASTLY more time and money going into the latter platform.

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)

Sullla, the numbers are changing fast too, next week Lego Star Wars will be a million seller, in 4 or 5 weeks RRR2 will be a million seller, in about 5 weeks my sims will be a million seller.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

mesoteto said:

moar funny pictures

QFT,

The basis of this thread is pretty weak.  At the bare minimum pack-in games need to be tracked consistantly between both consoles.  But even then ...well you get the idea...

To Each Man, Responsibility
Around the Network
mesoteto said:

moar funny pictures

X2

nuff said 

SSBB FC: 5155 2671 4071 elgefe02: "VGChartz's Resident Raving Rabbit"   MKWii:5155-3729-0989

TWRoO said:
Mars said:

And LMAO at nin best on the planet, do they make the best racer arcade racer fps tps online game rpg music game strategy mmo action ? ohh yahh NO they dont. What i see is they dont even know how to make a legit game in half the generes out there.

You realise Nintendo chooses not to make things like FPS and TPS all the time.

Racer- Wave Race and F-Zero and damn fine examples of them.
F1WGP2 is by far the best F1 game on a nintendo console, and better than the few I have played on PS machines... however Sony have bought the F1 licence so it is a tad difficult for Nintendo to make another.

Arcade racer - Mario Kart, need I say more. (I suppose you could argue F-zero was arcade too)

online isn't a genre.

RPG - I don't know much about them but I believe Fire Emblem is one right? and is very critically acclaimed... I'm sure other posters could name other RPG (is Animal Crossing one?)

music game - It's not like there are many of these made by other developers. (erm, Guitar Hero, DDR and now RockBand)

strategy- Advance Wars? Pikmin? (and Battalion Wars)

mmo - I don't really know much about these either, but I don't think they are very prolific on consoles.

action - I have always been hazy about what an action game actually is, is Zelda an Action game?

Aha!... why I didn't just use the game database before I don't know.

Action

Adventure

Fighter

Hell you can do the rest yourself however I will fill out a few more lists for you.
For RPG I shall add Pokemon, Paper Mario, Mother and Golden Sun.
For FPS Nintedo did publish some, like Goldeneye and Perfect Dark, but I suppose Rare was second party at the time.
For shooter there are lots of good games, but I suppose very few are specifically 3rd person bar Sin and Punishment, and star fox assault.

--------

I think you will find Nintendo has made a lot of excellent games spanning the vast majority of genres you might want to mention, games that are often considered to be within the best, if not the best of their respective genres.... That is why they are considered the best of the developers.

Not to mention NO other developer consistently puts out good titles in such a wide variety of genres. Every single other developer out there either concentrates on far fewer genres, or does a rather poor job, comparably.

It can be stated without any bias whatsoever that Nintendo is most certainly the best developer out there. It's why they're able to support the world's most popular gaming console in history with practically just their own titles, and it's why they survived two full generations of gaming on almost entirely their own titles - with both consoles selling at a rate that would be considered "successful".

One cannot deny Nintendo's extreme talent as a developer. They may not be your favourite, but you've got to at least accept their quality.

OT: Guys, this WAS cherrypicking, and it IS a weak statement, but you do have to admit... it's a milestone nonetheless, especially since the statistics show Wii will end up passing the 360 in the end.

You've got to remember - Nintendo's pack-ins are a large part of why people have purchased the Wii in the first place. If it weren't for their pack-ins, the Wii undoubtedly wouldn't have sold as much as it has. So, each and every one of those pack-ins should count. Same for the mess of pack-ins Microsoft has done; you can't discredit them. No matter how much you dislike them, they're still valid numbers. You can't know how much a motivator they were for people.

SW-5120-1900-6153

Wow. Really reaching here.

Can't we all just get along and play our games in peace?

Mars said:

Nin sales so well casue like always nin fanboys only buy their games, its hilarious how those that whine about 3rd partys not coming to the wii are the ones responcible for them not coming.

Most 3rd partys will never put their big games on the wii, nin fanboys have said they will for a long time it was to happen an E3 last year then this years GDC and nothing yet.

All you have to do is look at Metroid sales and think will a 3rd party put their big game on the wii with sales compared to what Cod4 did on PS3/360, very simple dec aint it.

And LMAO at nin best on the planet, do they make the best racer arcade racer fps tps online game rpg music game strategy mmo action ? ohh yahh NO they dont. What i see is they dont even know how to make a legit game in half the generes out there.

Reading your post is possibly the most painful thing I've done today, and that's actually saying something. -_-

First of all, look at the Wii's software sales.

See all the third party million sellers? There are 8 now, with 1 more arriving next week, and 2 almost certain to reach the magic number in a month or two. This means third parties are selling well on the Wii.

Next, look at the list of upcoming games.

See all the third party games? Certainly not all will end up great, but at least King's Story, Odoro Muramasa Youtouden, Opoona, Battle of the Bands, Monster Lab, Boom Blox, Tales of Symphonia, Fragile, Mushroom Men, Crystal Chronicles, De Blob, and Deadly Creatures are serious exclusive efforts by at the very least decent development teams. They're not even nearly all AAA, but there's not a single piece of shovelware amongst them. I don't think Zack&Wiki or No More Heroes were even announced this time last year, so we can expect several more titles that we haven't heard of yet. That's not even getting into multiplats like Alone in the Dark, Spore, Rock Band, and Street Fighter 4, or the entire Wii Ware service.

In other words, we already know of many times more promising third party exclusives and multiplats in March than what came out in all of 2007. This means third parties are significantly increasing their support for the Wii.

Now you've probably noticed that most of the exclusives aren't exactly big names. That's because big sequels to popular franchises, probably what most people refer to as AAA games, take a long time to develop. The Wii's status as this gen's best selling console only became apparent during the last year or so, and the best dev teams of most publishers are still working on various projects for the HD consoles that are too far in production to suddenly port over.

Yes, we've been saying this for quite a while, but it hasn't suddenly stopped being true. So far Monster Hunter 3 and Fatal Frame 4 have jumped over to being Wii exclusives, and don't expect the trend to suddenly change for no reason at all. This means the Wii is starting to get big AAA games as well. Just slowly as expected...

Oh, and with Nintendo being the single best developer on the planet, I meant that they make more great games of different types than any other single developer, not that they make the best games in every single genre in existance. Staying away from some genres has always been a part of Nintendo's strategy due to their belief in accessability (=trying to avoid making games only a small segment of the market can enjoy), and conciously leaving them for third parties to work on (which understandably didn't work too well on the Gamecube).

The title is a bit misleading, and the stat is completely meaningless. Companies would rather have a better chance at succeeding (more million selling titles) than a lottery-type chance at getting lots of sales (more copies of million selling games). Not to mention the third-party games are still selling more on the 360 by both measures.