By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xbox One vs PS4: Spencer Hates the Console War

It doesn't matter how much you talk Phil, actions still speak louder than words.

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
I'm kind of tired of the console wars, too. I actually wish we could get to where the movie and music industry is--one platform for everything and upgrades it every five years. Like Phil said, make it about the games again.

That'd be nice, but that's not how it is and probably won't ever be how it is.

If Sony and Microsoft hated console wars as much as they're constantly stating, they'd merge the Xbox and Playstation brands so gamers wouldn't have to pick and choose between consoles to get all of the games.

However, if the console war didn't exist, gaming would be even worse.  Rivalry breeds competition.  Look at all three Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft when they got complacent thinking they had an easy win what with Sony thinking people will buy the overpriced PS3 with nothing worthwile at launch, Nintendo who wasn't supporting their console and didn't get third party support, and Microsoft with an overpriced console, putting betting all their money that Kinect and casual content would win the customers over.  The Sega Genesis was mostly filled with first party or first party published titles because of Nintendo's stranglehold on the market.

With rivalry and competition, we all win.  Unless you own a Wii U and Vita.  I felt that I wasted my money on both of those consoles the amount of exclusive content they don't have, or in Vita's case, that keeps getting ported over to the PS3 or PS4.

Of course he hates a war where he is losing...

THere's nothing wrong with differentiating your product.
Phil doesn't like when Sony "bought" exclusivity, but they were doing it themselves for years. That's how the business works. X360 was the first time MS actively went out and tried to convince devs that multiplat was the future, then they started buying up tons of exclusive content.

What's worse than exclusivity or dlc tied to stores and preorders is multiplat game content tied to a console.
Honestly, just seems like sour grapes.

He doesn't mean Sony and MS shouldn't be competing of sales tho. I agree with him (again) this war between gamers us ridiculous. Getting butthurt over a piece of plastic and so on when it's two huge companys fighting for your money. Phil is spot on and we shall see who'll be barking here.

Around the Network

So does this guy do anything other than giving interviews?

Anyways If he cares so much about these issues, why doesn't he try and fix them? I mean he's probably one of the few who can change the gaming industry in a short amount of time. Not talking only about this but also about other stuff Phil's been saying these past few days.

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P

Hasn't anyone else spotted the irony in that headline yet? I'm disappointed. I had to chuckle.

The PS5 Exists. 

GribbleGrunger said:
Hasn't anyone else spotted the irony in that headline yet? I'm disappointed. I had to chuckle.

Yes, it's great.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

So why he said we wants to win the console wars months ago?

That is how Spencer is... tells what is better to fit his agenda... no matter how inconsistent he is.

d21lewis said:
I'm kind of tired of the console wars, too. I actually wish we could get to where the movie and music industry is--one platform for everything and upgrades it every five years. Like Phil said, make it about the games again.

Without console "wars", there would be no competition and without competition there's no drive to actually make good products. The best generations are the ones where the "wars" were the most intense. We as gamers benefit the most. It's not a bad thing.