By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xbox One vs PS4: Spencer Hates the Console War

The Head of Xbox, Phil Spencer, has described the never-ending ‘console war’ – hotly debated in online forums and social networks –  as ‘distasteful’.

Spencer is a firm believer in supporting the gaming community as a whole – in the past he’s praised Sony on their success with the PS4 exclusive Bloodborne, and he recently offered words of encouragement to newly appointed Nintendo President, Tatsumi Kimishima – so it comes as no surprise that he hates to see gamers arguing so forcefully over which console is better:

“I’ve said before, the one thing that I probably find a little distasteful in the discourse around games is the divisiveness that people try to build between platforms.”

“It becomes more about what piece of plastic I own than what games I’m playing. It becomes more about somebody else failing than the things I love succeeding. I don’t think that’s a good place for our industry.”

“I know that’s not everybody, and it’s easy to find the pockets of that vitriol and I kind of think that that is gaming, but I’m not going to embrace that. I’m going to actively push against that.”

“People sometimes will make fun of me that I mentioned Sony or I mentioned Nintendo, it’s not to placate anybody or make them think I’m some kind of good guy.”

“My job isn’t really to keep you from buying something else. My job is to make you proud of what we offer, and to give you an enjoyable experience with the product we have. That’s 100% of what I’m focused on.”

So a firm but very fair view from Xbox’s main man. I think it’s safe to say that, if more of us thought like Phil Spencer, gaming forums could become much more vibrant and interesting places.

http://www.gamerheadlines.com/2015/09/xbox-one-vs-ps4-spencer-hates-console-war/

Other thoughts you might be interested in:

Sony will cut the PS4 price at Paris Gaming Week
Sony buy third party exclusives and I don't agree with that approach
I don't think VR is all that because I prefer playing games with my kids on the couch (through LIVE)
SE are lying. It's not because we won't allow cross play with PC, it's because Sony paid money.

... It's all about the games.

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network

I'm kind of tired of the console wars, too. I actually wish we could get to where the movie and music industry is--one platform for everything and upgrades it every five years. Like Phil said, make it about the games again.

I hate them as well, but they are never going to stop and we have to deal with it sadly.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

It IS all about the games. We already knew that and sales demonstate that clearly.

The PS5 Exists. 

BS.... if he was as altruistic as he tries to sound -- then MS would be allowing Xplay on all 3rd party games.

Around the Network

Why is this dude complaining about everything these days?

Last edited by OttoniBastos - on 12 November 2019

The console war can still be funny and entertaining sometimes. Though I have to say that the tools you use for war are not the same as the tools you use for a civilized discussion.

.- -... -.-. -..

This is typically said somewhere in every console generation, almost always by the losing party.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

GribbleGrunger said:

Sony buy third party exclusives and I don't agree with that approach

NathanFillion.gif