By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Knowing the big titles coming next year, do you still think the NX will be coming out holiday 2016?

Will the NX launch 2016?

Yes 232 40.07%

No 286 49.40%

See Results 61 10.54%

Total:579
Scisca said:
Samus Aran said:
Soundwave said:
Sony had losses but they still sold an incredible number of PS3s considering they started at $600 freaking dollars.

That just shows how dominant they are in the console business, it's like an athlete still being able to play a good game while playing on one leg or something.

Since Sony doesn't give me any of their money either, why the hell should I care if they took losses or not? They still were very clearly able to come out of that generation and are now able to market/sell the PS4 ... so much so that they're whupping Nintendo and MS again like they have for about 16/20 years (80% of the time).

Because we're having a debate whether the PS3 was a failure or not for Sony. It was.

As for them still selling a lot of consoles when they started at $600, well that says more about the people who purchased it at that price than their product.

According to your logic GC was a massive success because it led Nintendo to dominate next-gen.

Oh and Nintendo beat Sony with the PSP, PS3 and PS Vita. Sony beat Nintendo with the PS1, PS2 and PS4. That's 50% of the time...

It's questionable. I disagree that we can consider PS3 a failure. It wasn't a runaway success, but it wasn't a tragedy in the end either. Plus it was an extremely valuable lesson, that they've taken to heart and it shows with PS4 - and that's priceless.

Nintendo didn't dominate last gen, not even close. 100 mil vs approx. 90 mil vs. approx. 85 mil and least sold software can't be considered domination by any strech. They won, but didn't dominate and the victory came at a huge price that they are paying right now. 3DS is the only Nintendo console that's dominating a Sony console - Sony messed up and gave up. DS was a decisive victory, but not a domination either.

PSX, PS2 were and PS4 is dominating the market.

All in all, these are the two great juggernaughts of the industry, but Sony is undeniably the dominant one ever since it entered the market.

Selling 70 million extra consoles isn't domination? Lol! I guess PS1 didn't dominate either then.

Oh and Nintendo sold by far the most software last-gen, they dominated. Nintendo is a software company foremost. Much higher profit margins on first party software than third party royalties.

Around the Network
Scisca said:

Nah, it's not the primary reason. GamePad is a nice extra and is enticing to me, though obviously they messed up with the parts - Nintendo being Nintendo cheaped out on the parts, but fast development of the industry bit them in the behind, when everybody ditched this old tech and suddenly it became more expensive than newer, better tech, making the controller expensive.

The reason Wii U failed is cause it's too weak and has a unique architecture in a world that requires as much unity as possible to cut unnecessary costs.

Architecture is absolutely nothing to do with it and power was a VERY small factor. 

The reason it failed is because the extra cost from the gamepad, people viewing the gamepad as a gimmck, and terrible advertising.

Nobody is going to buy a Wii U for 300$ when you can get an Xbox One for 350$. If it would have been 250$ and 300$ day 1 and was sitting at 250$ with a game right now its sales would be doubled. (50$ price cut being from the gamepad)

rolltide101x said:
Scisca said:

Nah, it's not the primary reason. GamePad is a nice extra and is enticing to me, though obviously they messed up with the parts - Nintendo being Nintendo cheaped out on the parts, but fast development of the industry bit them in the behind, when everybody ditched this old tech and suddenly it became more expensive than newer, better tech, making the controller expensive.

The reason Wii U failed is cause it's too weak and has a unique architecture in a world that requires as much unity as possible to cut unnecessary costs.

Architecture is absolutely nothing to do with it and power was a VERY small factor. 

The reason it failed is because the extra cost from the gamepad, people viewing the gamepad as a gimmck, and terrible advertising.

Nobody is going to buy a Wii U for 300$ when you can get an Xbox One for 350$. If it would have been 250$ and 300$ day 1 and was sitting at 250$ with a game right now its sales would be doubled. (50$ price cut being from the gamepad)

The Wii U did about 15 things wrong. 

But I would say the basic crux of it is this -- you cannot sell a console based on a controller gimmick if the controller gimmick isn't *extremely* exciting.

It's like saying you want to be a model when you're not good looking. That's a strategy that gets you nowhere. 

Nintendo's whole philosophy of "we'll just sell underpowered last gen hardware, but people will buy it because of a controller" was really bound to eventually blow up in their face. It was just a matter of time, no company (not even Apple) can pull a miracle out of their rear end every 5-6 years. 

They could advertise the system all they want ... it doesn't change the fact that the controller simply is not very interesting and if your business model was that you were going to somehow come up with a new miracle controller input every 5-6 years to sustain your business, then you were predestined to fail no matter what. 

Again like above if you want to be a model, then you're basically basing your entire career on your looks, so damn well better be good looking. If you're trying to sell your weaker console on the benefits of a controller, then your controller damn well better make people go "holy shit that is amazing" when they first see it. 

Soundwave said:

The Wii U did about 15 things wrong. 

But I would say the basic crux of it is this -- you cannot sell a console based on a controller gimmick if the controller gimmick isn't *extremely* exciting.

It's like saying you want to be a model when you're not good looking. That's a strategy that gets you nowhere. 

Nintendo's whole philosophy of "we'll just sell underpowered last gen hardware, but people will buy it because of a controller" was really bound to eventually blow up in their face. It was just a matter of time, no company (not even Apple) can pull a miracle out of their rear end every 5-6 years. 

They could advertise the system all they want ... it doesn't change the fact that the controller simply is not very interesting and if your business model was that you were going to somehow come up with a new miracle controller input every 5-6 years to sustain your business, then you were predestined to fail no matter what. 

Again like above if you want to be a model, then you're basically basing your entire career on your looks, so damn well better be good looking. If you're trying to sell your weaker console on the benefits of a controller, then your controller damn well better make people go "holy shit that is amazing" when they first see it. 

I agree with you. I think Nintendo is smart to sell underpowered systems but those underpowered systems need to be significantly cheaper. The next Nintendo platform should be x86 and cost 200$ at launch. The core Nintendo base will buy the console no matter what and I think a cheap price will move tons of units. I do not think they can compete with Playstation and Xbox without being significantly cheaper

Samus Aran said:
Scisca said:

It's questionable. I disagree that we can consider PS3 a failure. It wasn't a runaway success, but it wasn't a tragedy in the end either. Plus it was an extremely valuable lesson, that they've taken to heart and it shows with PS4 - and that's priceless.

Nintendo didn't dominate last gen, not even close. 100 mil vs approx. 90 mil vs. approx. 85 mil and least sold software can't be considered domination by any strech. They won, but didn't dominate and the victory came at a huge price that they are paying right now. 3DS is the only Nintendo console that's dominating a Sony console - Sony messed up and gave up. DS was a decisive victory, but not a domination either.

All in all, these are the two great juggernaughts of the industry, but Sony is undeniably the dominant one ever since it entered the market.

Selling 70 million extra consoles isn't domination? Lol! I guess PS1 didn't dominate either then.

Oh and Nintendo sold by far the most software last-gen, they dominated. Nintendo is a software company foremost. Much higher profit margins on first party software than third party royalties.

DS sold less than double what PSP sold - wouldn't call that domination. An unquestionable victory, but not domination, PSP held its own. PSX sold over 3 times more than N64 and 12 times more than Saturn. That already is domination in my books. It was running circles around its competition, DS didn't do that.

Wii moved the least software. Truth/fact. That's one of the reasons what happened to Wii U happened, especially when considered that what sold almost exclusively carried the N logo.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

Around the Network
Scisca said:
Samus Aran said:
Scisca said:

DS sold less than double what PSP sold - wouldn't call that domination. An unquestionable victory, but not domination, PSP held its own. PSX sold over 3 times more than N64 and 12 times more than Saturn. That already is domination in my books. It was running circles around its competition, DS didn't do that.

Wii moved the least software. Truth/fact. That's one of the reasons what happened to Wii U happened, especially when considered that what sold almost exclusively carried the N logo.

Hence Nintendo dominated, lol.

If we had accurate sources of profits/losses made during that gen you'd see it for yourself. Has Sony ever even made a game that sold 30 million copies?

rolltide101x said:
Scisca said:

Then I guess we have to agree to disagree. Every single 3rd party developer was complaining about Wii U using PowerPC architecture (thus making ports more difficult and expensive) and being so underpowered. I've decided to ditch the console the day Nintendo announced it and showed the specs - specs worthy of a 2008 console. Sorry Nintendo, I'm not going that route again, I want a quality console, hope you can get NX right.

Wii U was $300 when PS4 was $400 and Xbone was $500. Still got its ass kicked. The console would be cheaper if Nintendo wasn't so bloody cheap and used more modern parts in the GamePad. Not parts so old, that nobody uses them anymore and they have to pay extra to get anyone to take them out from a museum and copy.

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

Samus Aran said:
Scisca said:

Hence Nintendo dominated, lol.

If we had accurate sources of profits/losses made during that gen you'd see it for yourself. Has Sony ever even made a game that sold 30 million copies?

Cool. Aren't you seeing just what a destructive strategy that was? It was fun while it lasted, but proved to be their downfall. On the other hand, Sony is making millions off of games they haven't spent a single penny on and will dominate no matter what games they make. Isn't that better business? Sony made a platform that allows them not to make any games and rake in profits (Vita is the best proof it's actually posible), so they don't need to sell millions of their own games. Also, don't forget that the VGC numbers are one thing, but Sony was also earning massive money from their online store - something we couldn't say about Nintendo.

All the games in the list are for the first half of 2016

Pikmin doesn't have any platform confirmed yet

And yes Zelda will probably be cross platform.

So that still leave a pretty huge gap for the second half of 2016, and you can't say that 4 games in 6 months is a lot(SMT X FE, Pokken, Starfox and Mario and Sonic), especially 2 of them being 2015 games at first.

While I think that it's not sure we'll get the NX next christmas, when I see the shitty WiiU and 3DS first-party planning, I can't help but think they won't support them that much next year. Especially the second half, and it's even harder to believe that they'll miss christmas.

Scisca said:
rolltide101x said:

Then I guess we have to agree to disagree. Every single 3rd party developer was complaining about Wii U using PowerPC architecture (thus making ports more difficult and expensive) and being so underpowered. I've decided to ditch the console the day Nintendo announced it and showed the specs - specs worthy of a 2008 console. Sorry Nintendo, I'm not going that route again, I want a quality console, hope you can get NX right.

Wii U was $300 when PS4 was $400 and Xbone was $500. Still got its ass kicked. The console would be cheaper if Nintendo wasn't so bloody cheap and used more modern parts in the GamePad. Not parts so old, that nobody uses them anymore and they have to pay extra to get anyone to take them out from a museum and copy.

I actually don't even know where Nintendo even gets their current LCD displays from, lol. They're soooooooo freaking dated looking, even like the cheap garbage $100 Korean knock-off tablets at Best Buy look miles better. Nintendo must be hoarding them from the "grandma's old portable DVD player from Wal-Mart" factory.