By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Knowing the big titles coming next year, do you still think the NX will be coming out holiday 2016?

Will the NX launch 2016?

Yes 232 40.07%

No 286 49.40%

See Results 61 10.54%

Total:579
Scisca said:
Samus Aran said:
Scisca said:

DS sold less than double what PSP sold - wouldn't call that domination. An unquestionable victory, but not domination, PSP held its own. PSX sold over 3 times more than N64 and 12 times more than Saturn. That already is domination in my books. It was running circles around its competition, DS didn't do that.

Wii moved the least software. Truth/fact. That's one of the reasons what happened to Wii U happened, especially when considered that what sold almost exclusively carried the N logo.

Hence Nintendo dominated, lol.

If we had accurate sources of profits/losses made during that gen you'd see it for yourself. Has Sony ever even made a game that sold 30 million copies?

Cool. Aren't you seeing just what a destructive strategy that was? It was fun while it lasted, but proved to be their downfall. On the other hand, Sony is making millions off of games they haven't spent a single penny on and will dominate no matter what games they make. Isn't that better business? Sony made a platform that allows them not to make any games and rake in profits (Vita is the best proof it's actually posible), so they don't need to sell millions of their own games. Also, don't forget that the VGC numbers are one thing, but Sony was also earning massive money from their online store - something we couldn't say about Nintendo.

Look at their latest financial reports, Sony is making pennies from the PS4 compared to Nintendo during the GC and Wii era.

Lol if you think Vita makes any sort of meaningfull profit for Sony.

Do you even know how much profit games like Wii Sports Resort, Mario Kart Wii, MK DS, NSMB, Wii Fit and NSMBW made? Sony would need third parties to sell 3 billion of their games to match that.

Sony was never earning massive money last gen, PS division or entire company. They lost money, year after year.

Around the Network
Scisca said:

Remember one thing. The main reason for the ridiculous losses PS3 generated was the BluRay player. Still, PS3 allowed Sony to defeat HD DVD and now BR is the last standard physical format. Hence everything Sony has earned due to BR has to be added to the PS3 equation and that has to be quite a lot of monies. PS3 is not a big fat fail, neither is Vita. You're just not looking at the whole picture.

Though another thing to note is that Blu-ray is not a wholly owned Sony property.  It is made up of a group of different patent holders of which Sony is not even the majority holder.  One early analyst estimated that Sony held less than 30% of the IP.  I've also read that Panasonic holds more Blu-ray patents on the disc drive and optical discs than any other single member of the group.  But the Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) is large group, and with so many different members it's royalty scheme may get complicated.

The advent of Blu-ray also meant the decline of DVD which was far more lucrative for Sony.  DVD too was more widely adopted.

It's hard to say but it also seems like the future of the optical media industry is not so rosey.

In 2012 Sony was reported to close "Sony Optiarc", a wholly-owned subsidiary responsible for the production of optical disc drives. - source

Also in 2014 Sony reported the following 25 billion yen impairment charge due to the decline in the disc manufacturing business.

"Sony expects to record approximately 25 billion yen in impairment charges mainly related to its overseas disc manufacturing business. Primarily due to demand for physical media contracting faster than anticipated, mainly in the European region, the future profitability of the disc manufacturing business has been revised. Consequently, Sony has determined that it does not expect to generate sufficient cash flow in the future to recover the carrying amount of long-lived assets, resulting in an expected impairment charge. Primarily due to the reason mentioned above, the fair value of the entire disc manufacturing business also has decreased, resulting in an expected impairment of goodwill." - source

Overall Blu-ray is in a faster decline than Sony projected so they won't get the profits from it that they wanted or expected.

Samus Aran said:
Scisca said:
Samus Aran said:
Soundwave said:
Sony had losses but they still sold an incredible number of PS3s considering they started at $600 freaking dollars.

That just shows how dominant they are in the console business, it's like an athlete still being able to play a good game while playing on one leg or something.

Since Sony doesn't give me any of their money either, why the hell should I care if they took losses or not? They still were very clearly able to come out of that generation and are now able to market/sell the PS4 ... so much so that they're whupping Nintendo and MS again like they have for about 16/20 years (80% of the time).

Because we're having a debate whether the PS3 was a failure or not for Sony. It was.

As for them still selling a lot of consoles when they started at $600, well that says more about the people who purchased it at that price than their product.

According to your logic GC was a massive success because it led Nintendo to dominate next-gen.

Oh and Nintendo beat Sony with the PSP, PS3 and PS Vita. Sony beat Nintendo with the PS1, PS2 and PS4. That's 50% of the time...

It's questionable. I disagree that we can consider PS3 a failure. It wasn't a runaway success, but it wasn't a tragedy in the end either. Plus it was an extremely valuable lesson, that they've taken to heart and it shows with PS4 - and that's priceless.

Nintendo didn't dominate last gen, not even close. 100 mil vs approx. 90 mil vs. approx. 85 mil and least sold software can't be considered domination by any strech. They won, but didn't dominate and the victory came at a huge price that they are paying right now. 3DS is the only Nintendo console that's dominating a Sony console - Sony messed up and gave up. DS was a decisive victory, but not a domination either.

PSX, PS2 were and PS4 is dominating the market.

All in all, these are the two great juggernaughts of the industry, but Sony is undeniably the dominant one ever since it entered the market.

Selling 70 million extra consoles isn't domination? Lol! I guess PS1 didn't dominate either then.

Oh and Nintendo sold by far the most software last-gen, they dominated. Nintendo is a software company foremost. Much higher profit margins on first party software than third party royalties.

No, it really isn't domination.

Sprash said:

Well it isn't now, it was last gen though. ;)

maxleresistant said:

All the games in the list are for the first half of 2016

Pikmin doesn't have any platform confirmed yet

And yes Zelda will probably be cross platform.

So that still leave a pretty huge gap for the second half of 2016, and you can't say that 4 games in 6 months is a lot(SMT X FE, Pokken, Starfox and Mario and Sonic), especially 2 of them being 2015 games at first.

While I think that it's not sure we'll get the NX next christmas, when I see the shitty WiiU and 3DS first-party planning, I can't help but think they won't support them that much next year. Especially the second half, and it's even harder to believe that they'll miss christmas.

They could easily announce more titles for summer, fall, and winter. They only released the info of games that were supposed to come out within 6 months at E3 (the "reason" they didn't show Zelda Wii U).

Around the Network
foxtail said:
Scisca said:

Remember one thing. The main reason for the ridiculous losses PS3 generated was the BluRay player. Still, PS3 allowed Sony to defeat HD DVD and now BR is the last standard physical format. Hence everything Sony has earned due to BR has to be added to the PS3 equation and that has to be quite a lot of monies. PS3 is not a big fat fail, neither is Vita. You're just not looking at the whole picture.

Though another thing to note is that Blu-ray is not a wholly owned Sony property.  It is made up of a group of different patent holders of which Sony is not even the majority holder.  One early analyst estimated that Sony held less than 30% of the IP.  I've also read that Panasonic holds more Blu-ray patents on the disc drive and optical discs than any other single member of the group.  But the Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) is large group, and with so many different members it's royalty scheme may get complicated.

The advent of Blu-ray also meant the decline of DVD which was far more lucrative for Sony.  DVD too was more widely adopted.

It's hard to say but it also seems like the future of the optical media industry is not so rosey.

In 2012 Sony was reported to close "Sony Optiarc", a wholly-owned subsidiary responsible for the production of optical disc drives. - source

Also in 2014 Sony reported the following 25 billion yen impairment charge due to the decline in the disc manufacturing business.

"Sony expects to record approximately 25 billion yen in impairment charges mainly related to its overseas disc manufacturing business. Primarily due to demand for physical media contracting faster than anticipated, mainly in the European region, the future profitability of the disc manufacturing business has been revised. Consequently, Sony has determined that it does not expect to generate sufficient cash flow in the future to recover the carrying amount of long-lived assets, resulting in an expected impairment charge. Primarily due to the reason mentioned above, the fair value of the entire disc manufacturing business also has decreased, resulting in an expected impairment of goodwill." - source

Overall Blu-ray is in a faster decline than Sony projected so they won't get the profits from it that they wanted or expected.

It's just a reality that physical media is going away, like it or not. Nintendo may be the first ones to ditch it in their next console as well. And even if not, it's only a matter of time.

bigtakilla said:
Sprash said:

Well it isn't now, it was last gen though. ;)

You seem to have a other opinion about what is domination nothing to argue about, but it wasn't (for me). PS1, PS2 and PS4 are and were crushing/dominating their competition.

Samus Aran said:

Look at their latest financial reports, Sony is making pennies from the PS4 compared to Nintendo during the GC and Wii era.

Lol if you think Vita makes any sort of meaningfull profit for Sony.

Do you even know how much profit games like Wii Sports Resort, Mario Kart Wii, MK DS, NSMB, Wii Fit and NSMBW made? Sony would need third parties to sell 3 billion of their games to match that.

Sony was never earning massive money last gen, PS division or entire company. They lost money, year after year.

GCN era is a very, very misleading term. It was the GBA era, cause it was the GBA that was making the profit. And PS4 is still only starting, but it is an existing cash cow, not just a melody of the past.

Lol if you think you understand what you read.

Cool story bro. Now tell me how much money Nintendo has burned and still has to burn in order to survive in the business after the Wii devastated their real customer base.

Consider a lot of that investment, investment into this gen. Something Nintendo arogantly neglected and now is paying the price.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

bigtakilla said:
maxleresistant said:

All the games in the list are for the first half of 2016

Pikmin doesn't have any platform confirmed yet

And yes Zelda will probably be cross platform.

So that still leave a pretty huge gap for the second half of 2016, and you can't say that 4 games in 6 months is a lot(SMT X FE, Pokken, Starfox and Mario and Sonic), especially 2 of them being 2015 games at first.

While I think that it's not sure we'll get the NX next christmas, when I see the shitty WiiU and 3DS first-party planning, I can't help but think they won't support them that much next year. Especially the second half, and it's even harder to believe that they'll miss christmas.

They could easily announce more titles for summer, fall, and winter. They only released the info of games that were supposed to come out within 6 months at E3 (the "reason" they didn't show Zelda Wii U).

That is just an excuse to avoid to say that they are almost done with the WiiU and 3DS. Nintendo never did an E3 like that, where they don't talk about the games releasing in more than six months. Don't you think that this really really really weird? That there is more to it than this bullshit excuse?

I get that people are fans, but let's not be blind. It's almost october, and we are still waiting for real news about 2016, some other than "this 2015 game is delayed for next year"

We need to be realistic about the situation here.

I hope NX is not backward compatible. We have the VC for that. I want to buy a device that uses all of its components to play new games.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile