By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Tatsumi Kimishima is the new president of Nintendo

Dravenet7 said:

hmm... I want to say no.

He created his own achievement like system in Kirby Air Ride that continued in Brawl, Kid Icarus, and then Sma4sh. He' s also noted for wanting to make Nintendo's online more like Steam. He definitely seems like he would have a strong direction for the company. And he definitely puts a lot of effort into his games.

On the other hand, his game development skills are too vital for the company, and his development style itself has gone against the grain of many fans, who I feel are ridiculous, but it really has shown that he does his own thing without much sense of backlash. I like that about him, but I know if that will translate as a positive for the company.

I don't think they are as vital as people think, and even if they are, it doesn't matter because game developement is literally physically crippling him now and he needs to stop.

Around the Network
spemanig said:

This explains a lot.

@serkantoto on twitter: https://twitter.com/serkantoto

"In yet another Nikkei article (last I summarize/translate), new Nintendo boss Kimishima’s personality is described as 'soft+friendly'." (So he only looks stern. Way to judge the poor guy.)

"According to the Nikkei, Kimishima predicted Wii U’s failure when it was introduced by warning it’s too similar to the original Wii."

"Despite his business background, he is quoted as saying it’s wrong to lead a gaming company on numbers alone."

"The Nikkei claims Kimishima wasn’t Iwata’s favorite choice. Nintendo was 1st looking for somebody younger but didn’t have the personnel."

"The article also suggests the troika was a rushed decision because the holiday season, where Nintendo makes 50%+ of sales, is near."

"Accordingly, Kimishima is quoted as saying one task for him will be to develop the next group leadership structure for Nintendo."

"He says he is elected for 1 year and doesn’t know what will come next. Says he is not against company outsiders to lead Nintendo one day." #Sakuraiforpres2016

Thanks for posting this! I feel a lot better about having Kimishima as Nintendo's president now, even though it might just be a transitional one.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

I've always felt the Wii U was way too similar to the Wii, and that concept's time had passed, so Nintendo basically re-doing the same thing was a mistake from the get go.

Underpowered hardware by a generation? Why? Because Wii did it.

New controller gimmick? Why? Because Wii did it (selling a console around a controller).

Emphasis on low power/small form factor? Why? Because Wii.

Why an odd name like Wii U? Because Wii was an odd name for 2006. 

1st year software -- New Super Mario Bros. U, Nintendo Land (the "new" Wii Sports), Sing Party, Wario Ware, Mario 3D World, Wii Sports Club, Wii Fit U, Mario & Sonic Olympics ... way too much emphasis on platformers and party games. Why? Because they were popular on Wii. 

spemanig said:
shikamaru317 said:
I think they probably made the right choice. They need a President who understands the western market. NX needs to have the features and games that western gamers look for in order to succeed.

I'm really not understanding posts like these. He still worked at Nintendo before he became president. He still had a high ranking leadership roll with assumedly a lot of influence. If he really had such a deep understanding of the West, you would have seen the results of that understanding within the 15 years that he's worked at the company. Instead, it's been the opposite.

While being at Nintendo and Pokemon US headquarters?... I kind of doubt he had much influence on matters happening 1000's of miles away. How much influence do you think Reggie has in the company? I'd say not much.

spemanig said:

Dravenet7 said:

hmm... I want to say no.

He created his own achievement like system in Kirby Air Ride that continued in Brawl, Kid Icarus, and then Sma4sh. He' s also noted for wanting to make Nintendo's online more like Steam. He definitely seems like he would have a strong direction for the company. And he definitely puts a lot of effort into his games.

On the other hand, his game development skills are too vital for the company, and his development style itself has gone against the grain of many fans, who I feel are ridiculous, but it really has shown that he does his own thing without much sense of backlash. I like that about him, but I know if that will translate as a positive for the company.

I don't think they are as vital as people think, and even if they are, it doesn't matter because game developement is literally physically crippling him now and he needs to stop.

Definitely argee on that end

Around the Network
spemanig said:
It's insane to me how much people think they understand about the guy because he didn't smile in a picture.

You can apply this to almost every opinion on the internet.

POE said:
spemanig said:
It's insane to me how much people think they understand about the guy because he didn't smile in a picture.

Well, how about the fact that between 2002 and 2006 he was president of Nintendo of America  but would never show up at any of their press conferences (Iwata and Miyamoto would travel thousands of miles to be at every single one I believe), Or the fact that he only went to investers meetings to talk about numbers, and let Iwata talk mostly about the games and future direction of the company. Or the fact that he spoke out against the Wii U and how it looked too much like the Wii.  I don't think it takes a huge leap of faith (not just from one picture alone) that this guy wasn't the same public figure, and child at heart dreamer that Miyamoto and Iwata is/was. 

bigtakilla said:
POE said:

Well, how about the fact that between 2002 and 2006 he was president of Nintendo of America  but would never show up at any of their press conferences (Iwata and Miyamoto would travel thousands of miles to be at every single one I believe), Or the fact that he only went to investers meetings to talk about numbers, and let Iwata talk mostly about the games and future direction of the company. Or the fact that he spoke out against the Wii U and how it looked too much like the Wii.  I don't think it takes a huge leap of faith (not just from one picture alone) that this guy wasn't the same public figure, and child at heart dreamer that Miyamoto and Iwata is/was. 

Well maybe that's for the best. 

I think you want Willy Wonka to focus on making chocolate ... not making the business decisions at the Factory. 

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just came back form school and read this.

This is good new anyway.