By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The PS2 has taught me something about the HD era.Rant.

xl-klaudkil said:
Sharu said:

Yes. And Wii was a last swan song of a real arcade/console  gaming.

I agree,if the wii would have a lot more quality games instead of shovel ware,It had a change of outselling the ps2.

Well, industry moved to HD-development then. So what wii got was just leftovers from the table, sadly... Tbh I totally miss games like RE Chronicles1/2, HOTD 2/3/overkill, Ghost Squad.. Light gun shooters was easy to start and hard to master, excellent party titles. This gen we currently have... zero of it?

Around the Network

I had a ps2, but I hardly played it once I got the OG Xbox.  That thing was a powerhouse of gaming.

Hi I'm a gamer and I'm never happy

#1 Amb-ass-ador

Sorry but you lost me within 1 minute into the video.

"why are graphics more important than gameplay and having fun"

- only argument made by those who cant accept a lot of the best looking games in the industry have fantastic gameplay and massive followings because they are fun more than anything else.

As for the good looking ones that dont have fun gameplay, they have a lower number of players.

There is no problem, its only one created by people who like games that dont compete on graphics with good looking games that have fun gameplay.

fps_d0minat0r said:
Sorry but you lost me within 1 minute into the video.

"why are graphics more important than gameplay and having fun"

- only argument made by those who cant accept a lot of the best looking games in the industry have fantastic gameplay and massive followings because they are fun more than anything else.

As for the good looking ones that dont have fun gameplay, they have a lower number of players.

There is no problem, its only one created by people who like games that dont compete on graphics with good looking games that have fun gameplay.

That's what happens if you dont watch the vid,that whas not the point.or at least not entirely.

Point is developers are focusing to much on graphics on gameplay and performance suffer!

If the developers of ac unity would have focust a lot more about making the game perform and bug free as much as possible instead of boosting about graphics the game would have been better.

But i gues graphics are more important.

For you at least.

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

Around the Network

Since when did good graphics started to be more important than good gameplay. Like never... This whole statement is nonsense. It's almost stating that all good looking games play like crap or are broken, which is utter bullshit. Sure their are games that look great, but play crappy. But there are more crappy looking games with bad gameplay. There are hundreds of games that look, sound and play great, starting already at the SNES area.

To be clear good graphics are not just the amount of polygons and effects on screen, a good artstyle with great animation and steady framerate can make a less technical game still wonderful to look at. Good graphics and animations can really benefit the gameplay in way of playability, atmosphere and immerision. Graphics and gameplay go hand in hand, and both are equally important.

Gaming as a whole is changing and becoming more mainstream. But saying that this generation is full of broking games is a very big overstatement. Sure some games have a very rough start with lots of problems (DriveClub is also a good example, a game which i love from day one btw). It's always the online part that is broken. Is this acceptable, in general not, but is it understandable? yes! Usually games are tested and tested and tested, also today's games. They test the online multiplayer with a few 1000 people, all works fine. Then the games goes live and (in some case) a million people go online at once, and boom servers collapse or strange problems occur. Problems that are in most cases impossible to predict during testing. These are problems that were absent during the PS2 area and before.

I'm not to fond of DLC in most cases. But is it really such a big evil? Not really. Rarely DLC is needed to finish a game or make the experience better. There are just a few cases (like Tigerwoods golf) where EA forced you to buy DLC to actually get a full game. But mostly DLC is just for enhancing a game you really like. True that most DLC would be included in a game from older times... but times change and so do production costs.

There are good things to say about todays gaming landscape too. Lots of cool indy games which bring a nice variaty next to all the "big games". Free2Play is a good concept (makes me think back to shareware times) and works very well in some cases (World of Tanks is a good example). And in general games are cheaper then ever before.

The old games are so much better argument is getting old itself. I've been playing games for over 30 years and old games are in general not better than new ones. A lot of games that i played as a teenager where great for their time, but just don't compare to their modern day version. Just take Tomb Raider, the first game was awesome in 1996. But playing Tomb Raider (2013) makes me see and realize what new technology and graphics can do for a game.

Just bitching about everything that is wrong with this generation and not seeing all the great games that are out and coming out, is just your loss as a gamer.

Collecting free bitcoin @ https://freebitco.in/?r=5970871

You're pulling a Van Gaal english.. overarticulating but that pretty normal for us Dutch people.. WE TEND TO DO THAT SO YOU CAN UNDERSTAND ME BETTER

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Not all Indiegames are bad, it's just the fact the there are so many 16bit games, that I just can't stand. Looking forward to hellblade, rime and Wild and I love Housemarquee, flower, flow, journey. though, which counts as Indiegames. But there's the point those are not typical Indiegames, because the standard 2d Indiegames are just non apealling to me like shovelknight, supermeat boy and I just can't get hyped for them. Lastly AAA games like Horizon, UC4 Zelda U Halo 5 will define the system and 3rd party games the generation. Not niche games like bloodborne or Indiegames, but it's good there is a market for them and I am glad Sony's supporting it.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Qwark said:
Not all Indiegames are bad, it's just the fact the there are so many 16bit games, that I just can't stand. Looking forward to hellblade, rime and Wild and I love Housemarquee, flower, flow, journey. though, which counts as Indiegames. But there's the point those are not typical Indiegames, because the standard 2d Indiegames are just non apealling to me like shovelknight, supermeat boy and I just can't get hyped for them. Lastly AAA games like Horizon, UC4 Zelda U Halo 5 will define the system and 3rd party games the generation. Not niche games like bloodborne or Indiegames, but it's good there is a market for them and I am glad Sony's supporting it.

I like games like shovel knights.

For everything else i weirdly agree(except bloodborne thats not niche...)

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

I think what happened was, a new generation of gamers started playing games. Their initial experiences were the biggest and the best of the PS2, so they expected every single game to be delivering this (40+ hour campaigns, open worlds, online play etc.) and in the process drove out the market for the more niche stuff.

I miss arcade games :(

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.