By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The PS2 has taught me something about the HD era.Rant.

As much as I love ps4, ps2 will always be the best and last of its kind.

Extra content was earned by playing through multiple times, not bought.

Games were complete and not sold as unplayable glitch/bug filled products like today.

Simply buy a game, put it in, play it.
No lengthy updates, installs, nothing.

No hard drives to fill up with installs, just simply buy an extra memory card, plug it in and you're good.

Around the Network

I agree with most of what you say. Especially about the local multiplayer, not everybody wants to play online. Got pretty pissed when i discovered Driveclub doesn't have local multiplayer. And yes, Timesplitters 2 was a more complete shooter then most now a decade later. No excuse for that really.

Shadow1980 said:
Personally, I felt that the 3D era of gaming took a while to get good, and some older 3D classics are hard to go back to. I started off gaming on the Intellivision, old-school arcade games, and my father's Commodore 64 back in the mid 90s (I've been playing video games since at least 1984). I saw 2D gaming evolve from those simple early 80s arcade games to more complex fare like SMB and Mega Man to the epic-scale adventures of the 16-bit era. But the 3D era was something I had a hard time adapting to.

While Nintendo and Rare made some really fun games for the N64, they were about the only ones who I felt at the time were truly and consistently able to make fun 3D games for consoles. FFVII, the game I bought a PS1 for, fare a bit better as it's simple menu-based, turn-based combat was functionally not really any different from the SNES Final Fantasies. But overall I found myself enjoying the early 3D era less than the 8-bit and 16-bit eras. Not only were most of those older fifth- and sixth-gen games eyesores (even at the time I felt they were less lively, colorful, detailed, visually pleasing overall than the 16-bit sprites of the first half of the 90s), in terms of gameplay many were to me quite awkward to play, with clumsy controls and bad cameras. Many of those older 3D games I find hard to go back to. Even at the time, titles like Resident Evil 2 and Shadow of the Colossus, while still good games overall, suffered from poor controls, and time has been any kinder. There were some other amazing standouts in the fifth and sixth generations that weren't made by Nintendo or Rare, including Halo 1 & 2, the Rogue Squadron games, Soul Calibur, and the amazing sprite-based Mega Man 8, that were not simply good but great and still hold up very well, but such games were rarities IMO.

Interestingly, my experience with 2D games is similar, just to a much lesser extent as I feel those kind of games age better both graphically and gameplay-wise. There are a few older 2D games that I find it hard to go back to after playing later iterations. Most notably, a Link to the Past and Super Metroid perfected and expanded on the formulas established by the NES originals to such a degree that those originals just don't as fun as they might have when they first came out. Also, the 16-bit era was to me the apex of the JRPG. NES-era Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy had considerably smaller worlds and, as a consequence, they were padded with a bunch of unnecessary level grinding. The original Dragon Quest especially hasn't aged well as it also had a simpler narrative and only a single player character, which didn't make its turn-based combat all that dynamic. FFIV was the first JRPG that I felt was a truly satifying experience that would continue offering such satisfaction for years afterwards, and that generation also brought us classics like FFVI, Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, and Lunar. For some series and even a whole genre, there were some growing pains as developers learned more about game design and benefited from superior hardware in order to offer more satisfying gameplay experiences.

3D polygon-based video games went through some serious growing pains of its own, but I felt that by the seventh generation more and more developers were finally figuring out how to create really solid gameplay experiences that made good use of the third dimension. I found myself enjoying more and more games, and I probably played more on the 360 alone than I did on the PS2, GameCube, Dreamcast, and Xbox combined (at least if you remove Halo, which is a series I've played more than anything else not published by Nintendo). The continuing increases in computing power didn't simply result in prettier graphics, but I also think they've resulted in improved gameplay, with some things that simply couldn't be done on older hardware, and I think things will continue getting better. I've had a great time with the current generation and have already bought even more games than I did last generation, and while I still go back and play a lot of 8-bit, 16-bit, and N64 games, there's precious little from the PS1 or any sixth-gen console I still make a point to go back and play.

But as they say, different strokes and all that...

Here, here, and well said.  I agree with virtually everything you've said.  I would add that we have seen a bit of a loss of some genres like JRPGs since 6th gen, but by and large it's nothing compared to the gameplay losses of the switch to 3D. And as others have said, Indies and vast downloadable back catalogues have given us near endless options for niche games. But some new titles like SM3DW and Splatoon have given us precise and creative gameplay we haven't seen much of in the 3D space.

pokoko said:
I made it to the 1:30 mark. Absolutely sick of people telling me what games are fun and what games are not.

You're sick of people's opinions?

disolitude said:
PS2 was the beginning of this hype machine and graphics and presentation over gameplay bullshit. You wanna point the finger somewhere, start there...

I recall the PS1's pre-rendered cutscenes wowing audiences back in the day. I could be wrong though, it was so long ago.

Around the Network
KLAMarine said:
disolitude said:
PS2 was the beginning of this hype machine and graphics and presentation over gameplay bullshit. You wanna point the finger somewhere, start there...

I recall the PS1's pre-rendered cutscenes wowing audiences back in the day. I could be wrong though, it was so long ago.

It goes back even farther than that. People where wowed by any CD based game system. Sega CD, Turbo CD etc. It was a wow factor. Even though crappy examples.

xl-klaudkil said:
sethnintendo said:

I understand that this might frustrate you but most people don't like to watch videos of people with a raised voice.

You should just have talked in calm voice and brought up examples. Perhaps do a Stephen Colbert type of act. Talk normally and bring up examples of the past that were good and then compare them to crap these days. Main point: I don't like youtube videos of people yelling or complaining in an annoying voice. I was able to watch about 30 secs of the video.

My voice whas not raised,i think its because of the cam settup and the big open room?

As i said.before iam not someone who has an argresive tone hahaha.

Nah you spoke in a condescending voice.  You are looking down on people that buy broken and "patchable" games.  I understand that and almost in same boat, but you can't expect people to take you seriously.  I'd do almost the same thing... Bitch at people that buy broken games.   I'm just saying you lost me.  I'll listen to your rant entirely but it probably won't change a thing.  Thing is people buy broken games now.  It used to not be acceptable, but now it is.

Kyuu said:
jason1637 said:
I really like the 7th gen due to the rise of indies and some really good games that came out. The ps2 is over rated imo.

How many games have you played on it?

On the ps2 i have played around 22.

come on is it so hard to watch a ten minute video? why you do comment if you didnt watch the video?

I agree and disagree.

I understand your point about focusing more on visuals than gameplay. Part of that is due to visuals constantly increasing; partly due to visuals selling more to the public.

The ps2/Xbox/GameCube era did seem to be the perfect mix of great satisfying gameplay and upgraded visuals that weren't too heavily focussed on.

Obviously with the move to high definition televisions around 2005 we were in for a change.

However, that does not mean that games cease to be fun. If anything that's entitely your opinion, not a fact. The 7th gen for me was much superior to the 6th gen in terms of games. Part due to my age (not being a small child) but the games were amazing.

The mass effect trilogy, bioshock, halo, assassin's creed 2, cod4, Prince of Persia 2008, last of us, I could go on and on. I had an amazing time with games that focused just as much on visuals and storytelling as they did with gameplay.

So basically, just your opinion. There are fun games out there if you know where to look. If you aren't happy, I guess you could just replay ps2 games all day.

But trust me, your refusal to move on and accept the change is isolating you from the industry. And you're really missing out on some great games.

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros