Forums - Gaming Discussion - The PS2 has taught me something about the HD era.Rant.

jason1637 said:
I really like the 7th gen due to the rise of indies and some really good games that came out. The ps2 is over rated imo.

How many games have you played on it?

Around the Network
xl-klaudkil said:
sethnintendo said:

I understand that this might frustrate you but most people don't like to watch videos of people with a raised voice.

You should just have talked in calm voice and brought up examples. Perhaps do a Stephen Colbert type of act. Talk normally and bring up examples of the past that were good and then compare them to crap these days. Main point: I don't like youtube videos of people yelling or complaining in an annoying voice. I was able to watch about 30 secs of the video.

My voice whas not raised,i think its because of the cam settup and the big open room?

As i said.before iam not someone who has an argresive tone hahaha.

Nah you spoke in a condescending voice.  You are looking down on people that buy broken and "patchable" games.  I understand that and almost in same boat, but you can't expect people to take you seriously.  I'd do almost the same thing... Bitch at people that buy broken games.   I'm just saying you lost me.  I'll listen to your rant entirely but it probably won't change a thing.  Thing is people buy broken games now.  It used to not be acceptable, but now it is.

Kyuu said:
jason1637 said:
I really like the 7th gen due to the rise of indies and some really good games that came out. The ps2 is over rated imo.

On the ps2 i have played around 22.

come on is it so hard to watch a ten minute video? why you do comment if you didnt watch the video?

jason1637 said:
Kyuu said:

Well that's a very small number to judge a system on. What you're calling overrated is probably not the same thing the majority of people liked. The PS2 had about 3500 games if I remember right, hundreds of which very well recieved. The great majority of them you didn't experience.

Around the Network

I agree and disagree.

I understand your point about focusing more on visuals than gameplay. Part of that is due to visuals constantly increasing; partly due to visuals selling more to the public.

The ps2/Xbox/GameCube era did seem to be the perfect mix of great satisfying gameplay and upgraded visuals that weren't too heavily focussed on.

Obviously with the move to high definition televisions around 2005 we were in for a change.

However, that does not mean that games cease to be fun. If anything that's entitely your opinion, not a fact. The 7th gen for me was much superior to the 6th gen in terms of games. Part due to my age (not being a small child) but the games were amazing.

The mass effect trilogy, bioshock, halo, assassin's creed 2, cod4, Prince of Persia 2008, last of us, I could go on and on. I had an amazing time with games that focused just as much on visuals and storytelling as they did with gameplay.

So basically, just your opinion. There are fun games out there if you know where to look. If you aren't happy, I guess you could just replay ps2 games all day.

But trust me, your refusal to move on and accept the change is isolating you from the industry. And you're really missing out on some great games.

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

Great to see a discussion going about this subject(s) and i'am happy i'am not alone in the way i feel about the hd era of how developers handle games!

Do i look down on gamers that buy broken games like unity?
Perhaps i'am,why would you buy something that's almost not working?

Its like buying a car without and engine and weels
And then say "good job car maker I'll buy one!

If we as the game community NOT buy broken games NOT accepting half baked content cut games developers (publishers) would not do it anymore.

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

Kyuu said:
jason1637 said:

Well that's a very small number to judge a system on. What you're calling overrated is probably not the same thing the majority of people liked. The PS2 had about 3500 games if I remember right, hundreds of which very well recieved. The great majority of them you didn't experience.

Its a great system but highly over rated.

jason1637 said:
Kyuu said:

Its a great system but highly over rated.

This doesn't make any sense because you didn't play enough games. You can call the games you played overrated, not the console.

archer9234 said:
KLAMarine said:
disolitude said:
PS2 was the beginning of this hype machine and graphics and presentation over gameplay bullshit. You wanna point the finger somewhere, start there...

I recall the PS1's pre-rendered cutscenes wowing audiences back in the day. I could be wrong though, it was so long ago.

It goes back even farther than that. People where wowed by any CD based game system. 32X, Turbo CD etc. It was a wow factor. Even though crappy examples.

Exactly on point. Those systems tried the hype machine game but all failed as they didn;'t have the fun games to back it up. Consumers were much smarter back then.

PS2 on the other hand came out with such a rediculous amount of hype which for the first time sold consoles based on sheer hype. I bought PS2 at launch and it had absolutely no good games worth playing until 9 months post launch when Twisted Metal Black came out yet it was sold out and it outsold the competition based on future game promises and DVDs.

But dont get me wrong, PS2 was a great console when it was all said and done. I'm just pointing out that it was at that point that Sony and shortly afer Microsoft started abusing the hype train to wow people and sell preorders. The hype based business model was shortly taken over by publishers like Activision and EA who started introducing DLC and other incetives just so they could have your money in hand before the game comes out.