By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The PS2 has taught me something about the HD era.Rant.

Great to see a discussion going about this subject(s) and i'am happy i'am not alone in the way i feel about the hd era of how developers handle games!

Do i look down on gamers that buy broken games like unity?
Perhaps i'am,why would you buy something that's almost not working?

Its like buying a car without and engine and weels
And then say "good job car maker I'll buy one!

If we as the game community NOT buy broken games NOT accepting half baked content cut games developers (publishers) would not do it anymore.

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

Around the Network
Kyuu said:
jason1637 said:

On the ps2 i have played around 22.

Well that's a very small number to judge a system on. What you're calling overrated is probably not the same thing the majority of people liked. The PS2 had about 3500 games if I remember right, hundreds of which very well recieved. The great majority of them you didn't experience.

Its a great system but highly over rated.

archer9234 said:
KLAMarine said:
disolitude said:
PS2 was the beginning of this hype machine and graphics and presentation over gameplay bullshit. You wanna point the finger somewhere, start there...

I recall the PS1's pre-rendered cutscenes wowing audiences back in the day. I could be wrong though, it was so long ago.

It goes back even farther than that. People where wowed by any CD based game system. 32X, Turbo CD etc. It was a wow factor. Even though crappy examples.

Exactly on point. Those systems tried the hype machine game but all failed as they didn;'t have the fun games to back it up. Consumers were much smarter back then.

PS2 on the other hand came out with such a rediculous amount of hype which for the first time sold consoles based on sheer hype. I bought PS2 at launch and it had absolutely no good games worth playing until 9 months post launch when Twisted Metal Black came out yet it was sold out and it outsold the competition based on future game promises and DVDs.

But dont get me wrong, PS2 was a great console when it was all said and done. I'm just pointing out that it was at that point that Sony and shortly afer Microsoft started abusing the hype train to wow people and sell preorders. The hype based business model was shortly taken over by publishers like Activision and EA who started introducing DLC and other incetives just so they could have your money in hand before the game comes out.

xl-klaudkil said:
ironmanDX said:
When did they decide? We did. With our wallets.

Time splitters was great. Halo lans were great. Growing up and doing essentially the same thing from home is great. I still take my xbox over to a friends house here and there but times have simply changed.

With respect maybe you did! Ididnt,never bought. A single piece of dlc crap 

Never bought a piece of dlc yet have the nerve to call it crap... 

Really not doing yourself or your arguments any favours mate. 

disolitude said:
archer9234 said:
KLAMarine said:
disolitude said:
PS2 was the beginning of this hype machine and graphics and presentation over gameplay bullshit. You wanna point the finger somewhere, start there...

I recall the PS1's pre-rendered cutscenes wowing audiences back in the day. I could be wrong though, it was so long ago.

It goes back even farther than that. People where wowed by any CD based game system. 32X, Turbo CD etc. It was a wow factor. Even though crappy examples.

Exactly on point. Those systems tried the hype machine game but all failed as they didn;'t have the fun games to back it up. Consumers were much smarter back then.

PS2 on the other hand came out with such a rediculous amount of hype which for the first time sold consoles based on sheer hype. I bought PS2 at launch and it had absolutely no good games worth playing until 9 months post launch when Twisted Metal Black came out yet it was sold out and it outsold the competition based on future game promises and DVDs.

But dont get me wrong, PS2 was a great console when it was all said and done. I'm just pointing out that it was at that point that Sony and shortly afer Microsoft started abusing the hype train to wow people and sell preorders. The hype based business model was shortly taken over by publishers like Activision and EA who started introducing DLC and other incetives just so they could have your money in hand before the game comes out.

I agree,sometimes it feels publishers/developer's are putting more time and effort in promoting and hyping the game (destiny,watch dogs i look at you) than actually making the game.

My youtube gaming page.

Around the Network

I hear people saying that gaming has gotten worse a lot and I can't really say I agree. Sure it's changed, but I don't think it's worse.

I have plenty of other unpopular opinions when it comes to gaming though. I'll share a few of the relevant ones after I get out of work tomorrow.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

ps3-sales! said:
I agree and disagree.

I understand your point about focusing more on visuals than gameplay. Part of that is due to visuals constantly increasing; partly due to visuals selling more to the public.

The ps2/Xbox/GameCube era did seem to be the perfect mix of great satisfying gameplay and upgraded visuals that weren't too heavily focussed on.

Obviously with the move to high definition televisions around 2005 we were in for a change.

However, that does not mean that games cease to be fun. If anything that's entitely your opinion, not a fact. The 7th gen for me was much superior to the 6th gen in terms of games. Part due to my age (not being a small child) but the games were amazing.

The mass effect trilogy, bioshock, halo, assassin's creed 2, cod4, Prince of Persia 2008, last of us, I could go on and on. I had an amazing time with games that focused just as much on visuals and storytelling as they did with gameplay.

So basically, just your opinion. There are fun games out there if you know where to look. If you aren't happy, I guess you could just replay ps2 games all day.

But trust me, your refusal to move on and accept the change is isolating you from the industry. And you're really missing out on some great games.

I think the problem lies in the fact that pushing graphics further again and again requiers ever more resources. Both time and money. So that can go at the expence of gameplay. Yes there are exceptions like The last of us, but wouldn't that game be almost just as great with lesser graphics? You also mention high definition televisions however i was already playing in HD on PC even before the PS2 was released. So resolution alone doesn't really change the games, but it does make them look a lot sharper and more immersive. Case in point, look up an PS2 game running in HD and you will now what i mean.

Miyamoto once commented on Wii being underpowered stating that game graphics hade reached an saturation point. I didn't agree back then but now i think he might have been right.

ironmanDX said:
xl-klaudkil said:

With respect maybe you did! Ididnt,never bought. A single piece of dlc crap 

Never bought a piece of dlc yet have the nerve to call it crap... 

Really not doing yourself or your arguments any favours mate. 

And why is that?

My arguments are that dlc is overpriced and mostly cut out content of the game( as said in the video things like a different skin or colour or a freaking horse armour for 5 dollars)

Mappacks is als  something i hate games on the ps2 has mostly a huge amount of maps but nowadays you get what? 4 -5 maps and you have to pay for them!

Looking at  DOA5 there is like what 100-150 dollars of costumes you can buy like WTF!

Expansions however like the witcher 3 i didnt say anything about it.

My youtube gaming page.

AlfredoTurkey said:

PS2 era was the last true console gaming era. It was the last plug and play generation and really, plug and play is what defined the experience of console gaming. Once these consoles started having the ability to force updates, change UI, DLC, have online stores etc... they became gaming PC's with a different skin.

Imo, the PS2 era will always be the peak and end of true console gaming. After that, it became something else.

Yes. And Wii was a last swan song of a real arcade/console  gaming.

Sharu said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

PS2 era was the last true console gaming era. It was the last plug and play generation and really, plug and play is what defined the experience of console gaming. Once these consoles started having the ability to force updates, change UI, DLC, have online stores etc... they became gaming PC's with a different skin.

Imo, the PS2 era will always be the peak and end of true console gaming. After that, it became something else.

Yes. And Wii was a last swan song of a real arcade/console  gaming.

I agree,if the wii would have a lot more quality games instead of shovel ware,It had a change of outselling the ps2.

My youtube gaming page.