By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: Don’t use waterproof Xperia phones underwater

The company has updated its support page on water and dust protection for Xperia devices, telling users not to submerge their handsets, as first spotted by Xperia Blog.

“Remember not to use the device underwater,” reads one section of the advice page.

Another part states: “The IP rating of your device was achieved in laboratory conditions in standby mode, so you should not use the device underwater, such as taking pictures.”

That’s in stark contrast to the company’s marketing materials for the Xperia line-up, which has, until now, lauded the fact that Sony’s smartphones work underwater.

Here’s a selection of official Sony press shots:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/sony-don-t-use-waterproof-xperia-phones-underwater

It's waterproof but it's not. Believe.

Around the Network
twintail said:
Don't really care. I own a z3+ and wouldn't think to put it in water regardless if advertised as such.

It is people like you who ''do not care'' that let these companys think they can get away with shit. It is advertised as being able to shoot pictures underwater theirfore it should be able to.

Well I care. Never tried it. though I own one, but think companies shouldn't get away with false advertising. I hope they get fined for this (even if I love their phones).

Sony....

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

That's as false marketing as you can get :).

Around the Network

Why even market it in this way? Something is seriously wrong here.

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

I know my friend does stuff like that with his Xperia all the time. It works, they just don't reccomend people to do it.

Lol

Hope they are called out for this.

They shoudn't market it as a device that can be used underwater then. I recently got one of these, had no intention of taking photos under water but this is a strong case of false advertising if ever I've seen it

They should've just advertized it as splash proof if they don't want people to submerge it underwater. Then again those pictures are clearly false advertising.

Currently playing

IOS - Knights of the Old Republic, Monster Hunter Freedom HD and Idolmaster Festa.

Steam-NovisNoah, Uplay-Limpanot, Origins-NovisNoah, PSN-NovisNoah, NNID-NovisNoah