By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - PC Industry Still Growing and Faster Than Consoles

dahuman said:
hunter_alien said:
zero129 said:
GTstation said:

Well yahh pc market spends more on hardware, you payed 2k for hardware to play a inferior version of a game i play on a $300 console. Makes no sense to me but to each their own.

Where do the game sale most ? says enough to me.

Exactly how to you figure that out?,a 500$ PC got today would easy outperfom the PS4 when it comes to 3rd party games and does (Unless you think cos batman = all games?? if so thats just silly). Also i have never ever spend 2k on my pc but i love how thats always the defence stance with console only gamers. It costs like 2k to outperfom my 300 console, You cant plug your pc into your tv (Even when thats what im using mine on now) you cant use joypads etc etc. So many mis facts and lies gets spread by console only gamers against pc its not even funny just sad...

Bullshit.... I just assambled a fairly good, mid-end PC worth 800 euros, and guess what, it has issues running Witcher 3 on highest settings in 1080p. Of course, the guy could have opted for a cheaper mask, smaller HDD and no SSD, but then what the fuck are we talking about? Truth is, if you want a gaimg rig (and only the rig itself) that lasts you 3 years for gaming and get some work squeezed out on it, get ready to spend some 1000 euros.

I am not saying it is a bad investment, but it is a fact that hardware wise a gaming PC is far more expensive then a console. And a 500$ PC is a low-end garbage bin, that you should be ready to invest in in a year or so. I love PC gaming, and I probably played more on PC then consoles in the last 3-4 years, but lets be honest here. Games are cheaper, true, but so are used or older games on consoles...

Sorry that you live in Europe, I've heard prices there for PC parts are absolute shit and you have my condolences.

We do have fairly high prices. BUT as a Romanian, I can at least say that we have the second fastest internet connections on averege on the globe   And for peanuts too

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network

good, I'm not a fan of consoles unless they do something unique and different. otherwise I'd rather just play my games on PC

you console peasants need to get on our level

hunter_alien said:
dahuman said:
hunter_alien said:
zero129 said:
GTstation said:

Well yahh pc market spends more on hardware, you payed 2k for hardware to play a inferior version of a game i play on a $300 console. Makes no sense to me but to each their own.

Exactly how to you figure that out?,a 500$ PC got today would easy outperfom the PS4 when it comes to 3rd party games and does (Unless you think cos batman = all games?? if so thats just silly). Also i have never ever spend 2k on my pc but i love how thats always the defence stance with console only gamers. It costs like 2k to outperfom my 300 console, You cant plug your pc into your tv (Even when thats what im using mine on now) you cant use joypads etc etc. So many mis facts and lies gets spread by console only gamers against pc its not even funny just sad...

Bullshit.... I just assambled a fairly good, mid-end PC worth 800 euros, and guess what, it has issues running Witcher 3 on highest settings in 1080p. Of course, the guy could have opted for a cheaper mask, smaller HDD and no SSD, but then what the fuck are we talking about? Truth is, if you want a gaimg rig (and only the rig itself) that lasts you 3 years for gaming and get some work squeezed out on it, get ready to spend some 1000 euros.

I am not saying it is a bad investment, but it is a fact that hardware wise a gaming PC is far more expensive then a console. And a 500$ PC is a low-end garbage bin, that you should be ready to invest in in a year or so. I love PC gaming, and I probably played more on PC then consoles in the last 3-4 years, but lets be honest here. Games are cheaper, true, but so are used or older games on consoles...

Sorry that you live in Europe, I've heard prices there for PC parts are absolute shit and you have my condolences.

We do have fairly high prices. BUT as a Romanian, I can at least say that we have the second fastest internet connections on averege on the globe   And for peanuts too

Yeah, the US is too stupid big as one country, I wish we all had fiber everywhere here, but ATT, being a corporation as they are, won't activate most of them even though they own pretty much all of them across the country. I mean it's so bad in the States that some people in rural areas are just now getting shitty satellite internet lol. Gotta be in major cities or more populated areas or you are screwed with internet here. How are the console prices in Europe BTW? About the same as the US or higher? It's hard to make a comparison unless we have numbers from different regions and that really changes things. In the US, it's currently better to just get a PC because the prices are good if you know how to hunt for parts and use old Windows licenses to upgrade to Windows 10, I don't know how it compares to the rest of the world though.

dahuman said:
hunter_alien said:
dahuman said:
hunter_alien said:
zero129 said:
GTstation said:

Yeah, the US is too stupid big as one country, I wish we all had fiber everywhere here, but ATT, being a corporation as they are, won't activate most of them even though they own pretty much all of them across the country. I mean it's so bad in the States that some people in rural areas are just now getting shitty satellite internet lol. Gotta be in major cities or more populated areas or you are screwed with internet here. How are the console prices in Europe BTW? About the same as the US or higher? It's hard to make a comparison unless we have numbers from different regions and that really changes things. In the US, it's currently better to just get a PC because the prices are good if you know how to hunt for parts and use old Windows licenses to upgrade to Windows 10, I don't know how it compares to the rest of the world though.

Pretty overpriced, unfortunatly. Last year I was hunting for a 3DS XL and new, it was almost 300$.

At the current exchange rate the 1TB PS4 is ~ 450$ while the 500GB is ~ 400$. The PS3 is ~ 210$. The Xone is ~ the same price ( a bit more expensive the 1TB model) as the PS4, and games are ~ 5$ more expensive then in the rest of the world. And keep in mind, we are talking about a country that is still strugling to reach the 600$ avrege monthly income, a value that is extremely sqewed.

So yeah, we are fucked when it comes to gaming. Everything is overpirced. Luckily, piracy is pretty much accepted as standard, and never in my life have I seen a crackdown, since the bootleg CD period, when only people who had on them thousands of pirated software ready for sale, would be rarely caught. I think I am one of the few people who I know who actually buys games fromn the store, but slowly people are starting to open up their wallets.

Edit: price typo.

PS: If Im lucky this year I might finally buy a new 3DS XL at 230$ new...

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

zero129 said:
ganoncrotch said:
zero129 said:
GTstation said:
zero129 said:
GTstation said:

And what good is that when the game is build and optimiesed for console, expensive pc hardware is an after thought.

No defense from me, but you clealry are taking this overly personal and are apperantly hurt by something i said.  To put it more plainly for you I just just said NO SHIt PC hardware sales is bigger given PCs can cost 2k while console go for 3 bills give or take.  Cool get it? 

joyads lol some one is getting super defensive lol. 

Really?. clearly someone is salty but its not me.. You said that a person spends 2k on hardware to play versions of games thats worse then your console versions.

IU just stated a fact that a 500 dollor pc can outperfom any of the consoles. Now your changing what you originly said and trying to say im upset about it...

And also even if games are only being made for consoles and ported to pc as an after thought like you like to say then why does 99.9% of every multi platform game look alot better on PC's that cost a lot less then 2k then they do on consoles??.

I wouldn't mind seeing the break down of such a PC, providing it includes the OS and a proper set of controls for gaming, I mean... you could almost lose 500 on a windows licence and a proper gaming mouse/keyboard. Wouldn't leave you much change for a real gaming PC.

Just look here https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/wiki/builds and you will find lots of builds to suite your needs for cheap.

Heres a few from it.

The Media Elite

This HTPC is essentially a next-gen console with more versatility. The GPU in this build is capable of performing on-par with the current generation of gaming consoles, and the CPU is more than powerful enough to handle current-gen games without bottlenecking the GPU. You can expect to game at the same framerates, resolutions, and graphical fidelity as the PS4 or XBoxOne, but you will pay nearly $100 less for the privilege. With SteamOS nearing its full release and the advent of mainstream Linux gaming approaching, you won't even need to pay for your gaming Operating System. Hook this up to the TV, sit down with your console controller of choice, a new Steam controller (coming soon™), or any number of custom USB gamepads, and enjoy console-quality living room gaming with cheaper games... and now a cheaper, more versatile machine... which also has 2x the storage space.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Athlon X4 860K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor $69.99 @ NCIX US
Motherboard ASRock FM2A88M PRO3+ Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard $50.98 @ Newegg
Memory *Team Elite 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $16.99 @ Newegg
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $43.70 @ Amazon
Video Card *Asus Radeon R7 260X 2GB Video Card $84.99 @ Newegg
Case NZXT Source 210 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case $34.99 @ Directron
Power Supply EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply $24.99 @ NCIX US
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total (before mail-in rebates) $376.63
  Mail-in rebates -$50.00
  Total $326.63
  *Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria  
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-11 22:27 EDT-0400  

You can  add Steam OS to that for free or go here https://www.reddit.com/r/MicrosoftSoftwareSwap . Where you can buy Windows keys for like €20-30 (Or just download it for free like most people ) .

The Next-Gen Crusher

Last refreshed: September 11th, 2015. Version 10.8, latest revision by /u/RandomDudeOP . Provide feedback here.

About

This is probably the best bang-for-your-buck build in this entire page. It renders any gaming console obsolete through superior performance. Considering that both next-gen consoles have significantly less processing power than this build (especially when you look at real-world gaming performance), this PC will have you absolutely set for the duration of the generation (if you're willing to drop your settings to what the consoles are locked at, which is usually around 900p, ~45FPS, and "Low-Medium"). This build in particular is suitable for running most modern games at 1080p/60fps/medium-high settings. It provides for PC versatility, as well. Do you want to play at 144fps on a 144Hz monitor for your First-person shooters? Perfect. Lower your settings and your framerate shoots up. Do you care less about the framerate than the extreme-quality visuals? Wonderful. Crank those dials up and witness the glory. Do you want to stream your gaming online? Mod your favorite game to death? Make videos for Youtube (or Vessal...)? Create high-res, high quality original content based on your favorite dragon movies? Books? Music? Homework? (yeah, parents.. we know you read this!) This PC will do it in style, and for many years to come.

This build originally targeted pretty strictly around $400, but it's been adjusted various times to include slightly more expensive parts deemed important.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
Memory *Team Dark 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $37.99 @ Newegg
Video Card Gigabyte Radeon R9 270X 2GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card $153.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $44.99 @ Newegg
  Total (before mail-in rebates) $481.62
  Mail-in rebates -$45.00
  Total $436.62
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-11 22:28 EDT-0400  

Anyway the is some very good PC builds there you should check it out.

There are a number of components being left out of those builds tho, I mean even if most people will just use it to install the operating system, it can still be nice to have a dvd or BR drive for installing stuff from, the lack of keyboard/mouse for gaming I find strange, no fans in that "next gen crusher" that isn't going to run cold with those parts trying to push out 1080p 60fps and the suggestion of waiting for a free OS, waiting for games to work with Linux or pirating windows are not realistic or legal ways to lower the price of what you're suggesting to use for gaming.

Also the " sit down with your console controller of choice," so for this you also need to already have bought a €50 Xbox or ps3/4 controller? Fair enough, I mean on paper having a lot of powerful parts in a box is great, but without the means to control it in any way shape or form is really a hard sell, I'm sure if you were to compare the out of the box performance of a console without an OS and the PC without an OS they'd both be pretty neck and neck alright.

I'm not saying that PC gaming can't be cheap and the notion that it has to be 2k or the highway in terms of builds is a joke, even with parts like SSD's now prices are dropping like a stone all the time, but still a bunch of pieces which are not going to end up with a running PC you can actually boot, can't compare to a out of the box console. That console will run, a PC missing parts and OS wont, end of comparison.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network
hunter_alien said:
dahuman said:

Pretty overpriced, unfortunatly. Last year I was hunting for a 3DS XL and new, it was almost 300$.

At the current exchange rate the 1TB PS4 is ~ 450$ while the 500GB is ~ 400$. The PS3 is ~ 210$. The Xone is ~ the same price ( a bit more expensive the 1TB model) as the PS4, and games are ~ 5$ more expensive then in the rest of the world. And keep in mind, we are talking about a country that is still strugling to reach the 600$ avrege monthly income, a value that is extremely sqewed.

So yeah, we are fucked when it comes to gaming. Everything is overpirced. Luckily, piracy is pretty much accepted as standard, and never in my life have I seen a crackdown, since the bootleg CD period, when only people who had on them thousands of pirated software ready for sale, would be rarely caught. I think I am one of the few people who I know who actually buys games fromn the store, but slowly people are starting to open up their wallets.

Edit: price typo.

PS: If Im lucky this year I might finally buy a new 3DS XL at 230$ new...

Dang O_O;

@every post in this thread

First off comparing the PC industry to that of consoles is like comparing the New York Night Club buisness to the New York stock exchange. Only the gaming part of the PC industry matters.

Second of all until Nvidia releases that pushing specs is idiotic should not be priority because it further disparates the market and should instead focus on quality at a low price to encourage a greater base. Until something like that happens, it doesn't matter how fast the PC "Gaming" industry grows, it wont address the reasons as to why consoles exist in the first place.

/thread

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

zero129 said:
ganoncrotch said:
zero129 said:
GTstation said:
zero129 said:
GTstation said:

Well yahh pc market spends more on hardware, you payed 2k for hardware to play a inferior version of a game i play on a $300 console. Makes no sense to me but to each their own.

And what good is that when the game is build and optimiesed for console, expensive pc hardware is an after thought.

No defense from me, but you clealry are taking this overly personal and are apperantly hurt by something i said.  To put it more plainly for you I just just said NO SHIt PC hardware sales is bigger given PCs can cost 2k while console go for 3 bills give or take.  Cool get it? 

joyads lol some one is getting super defensive lol. 

Really?. clearly someone is salty but its not me.. You said that a person spends 2k on hardware to play versions of games thats worse then your console versions.

IU just stated a fact that a 500 dollor pc can outperfom any of the consoles. Now your changing what you originly said and trying to say im upset about it...

And also even if games are only being made for consoles and ported to pc as an after thought like you like to say then why does 99.9% of every multi platform game look alot better on PC's that cost a lot less then 2k then they do on consoles??.

I wouldn't mind seeing the break down of such a PC, providing it includes the OS and a proper set of controls for gaming, I mean... you could almost lose 500 on a windows licence and a proper gaming mouse/keyboard. Wouldn't leave you much change for a real gaming PC.

Just look here https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/wiki/builds and you will find lots of builds to suite your needs for cheap.

Heres a few from it.

The Media Elite

This HTPC is essentially a next-gen console with more versatility. The GPU in this build is capable of performing on-par with the current generation of gaming consoles, and the CPU is more than powerful enough to handle current-gen games without bottlenecking the GPU. You can expect to game at the same framerates, resolutions, and graphical fidelity as the PS4 or XBoxOne, but you will pay nearly $100 less for the privilege. With SteamOS nearing its full release and the advent of mainstream Linux gaming approaching, you won't even need to pay for your gaming Operating System. Hook this up to the TV, sit down with your console controller of choice, a new Steam controller (coming soon™), or any number of custom USB gamepads, and enjoy console-quality living room gaming with cheaper games... and now a cheaper, more versatile machine... which also has 2x the storage space.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

TypeItemPrice
Memory *Team Elite 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $16.99 @ Newegg
Video Card *Asus Radeon R7 260X 2GB Video Card $84.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply $24.99 @ NCIX US
  Total (before mail-in rebates) $376.63
  Mail-in rebates -$50.00
  Total $326.63
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-11 22:27 EDT-0400  

You can  add Steam OS to that for free or go here https://www.reddit.com/r/MicrosoftSoftwareSwap . Where you can buy Windows keys for like €20-30 (Or just download it for free like most people ) .

The Next-Gen Crusher

Last refreshed: September 11th, 2015. Version 10.8, latest revision by /u/RandomDudeOP . Provide feedback here.

About

This is probably the best bang-for-your-buck build in this entire page. It renders any gaming console obsolete through superior performance. Considering that both next-gen consoles have significantly less processing power than this build (especially when you look at real-world gaming performance), this PC will have you absolutely set for the duration of the generation (if you're willing to drop your settings to what the consoles are locked at, which is usually around 900p, ~45FPS, and "Low-Medium"). This build in particular is suitable for running most modern games at 1080p/60fps/medium-high settings. It provides for PC versatility, as well. Do you want to play at 144fps on a 144Hz monitor for your First-person shooters? Perfect. Lower your settings and your framerate shoots up. Do you care less about the framerate than the extreme-quality visuals? Wonderful. Crank those dials up and witness the glory. Do you want to stream your gaming online? Mod your favorite game to death? Make videos for Youtube (or Vessal...)? Create high-res, high quality original content based on your favorite dragon movies? Books? Music? Homework? (yeah, parents.. we know you read this!) This PC will do it in style, and for many years to come.

This build originally targeted pretty strictly around $400, but it's been adjusted various times to include slightly more expensive parts deemed important.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

TypeItemPrice
Memory *Team Dark 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $37.99 @ Newegg
Video Card Gigabyte Radeon R9 270X 2GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card $153.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $44.99 @ Newegg
  Total (before mail-in rebates) $481.62
  Mail-in rebates -$45.00
  Total $436.62
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-11 22:28 EDT-0400  

Anyway the is some very good PC builds there you should check it out.

Correct me if 'm but aren't games on ps4/x1 running mostly on medium with high settings.

and imo you should update your cpu. 

Shadow of mordors "minimum" req is i5 750 

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-750-vs-AMD-Athlon-II-X4-860K/2773vs3265

witcher 3 - again minimum i5 2500k (your already below minimum)

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-2500K-vs-AMD-Athlon-II-X4-860K/619vs3265

mgs 5 - i5 4460 (again already below minimun)

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-4460-vs-AMD-Athlon-II-X4-860K/2310vs3265

Imo If you want to run games that will be released 4-5 yrs  from now without a problem,  you should get a better cpu...

Currently playing

IOS - Knights of the Old Republic, Monster Hunter Freedom HD and Idolmaster Festa.

Steam-NovisNoah, Uplay-Limpanot, Origins-NovisNoah, PSN-NovisNoah, NNID-NovisNoah

zero129 said:

Yes games on PC have always been known for having higher min specs then whats really needed to run them. maybe its to drive hardware so people feel like they need to upgrade all the time i dont know..

That is because of background process that need to be ran on PC that doesn't need to be on console. Also, layer that program runs on is much higher on PC than Console, making it slower. (Priorities.)

In addition to those, they need to cut back the code that makes game faster, since there is no guarantee that CPU, GPU or operating system would be supporting required instruction set or library.

Yes, building serious gamimg rig will probably take more than 700$ still. But slow and steady wins the race. Modern CPU have catched up enough to the point where they can run most of the game with intergrated graphic. Some people are happy just playing Binding of Issac after all.

And mobile gaming has outgrown both, but that doesn't mean much to most traditional gamers. So talking about it is moot. The same goes for the facts in your OP. They don't mean much to most of us.

Why would that kind of growth mean anything when it is largely due to games most of us don't care about, and in many cases, can't even play?