By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What was the game that convinced you to get a PS1?

None. I never bought one, although I did trade a buddy for my N64 for his PS1 for a while. It was good.

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.

Around the Network

In terms of 20 years of playstation memories, really love this promo vid for the ps4.

Those intros in the last 15 secs of the video put a chill up my spine still. So many memories that started with those sounds.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

I got the Playstation for Christmas when I was but a wee lad. I think I received it the same year the Nintendo 64 released - my older brother received the Nintendo 64 that same Christmas.

I got the Playstation because Spyro was the best dragon that could not fly... for the most part. Spyro 1-3 were kickass. After that the series went downhill. I would like to say it was because I outgrew Spyro, however I do feel like the quality overall did drop.

My Playstation was the only console that I have owned with a chip in it. Hell everyone in my area that owned a Playstation had a chip so they could get games for like $1-5 each.

I feel like every Playstation console that followed did not have such a huge piracy problem. Nintendo's DS is probably the closest thing to have come to the PS1's piracy problem. My DS was legitimate as I prefer getting games (movies and CDs too) legitimately to support developers of games that I like.

There wasn't really a single game. There was just enough stuff I wanted to play on Playstation.

I feel like I spent most of my time with fighting games. But I also played stuff various genres like Command & Conquer, Pa Rappa, Final Fantasy VII, etc. There were a lot of notable PS1 games I didn't play until later on via emulators.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Toxy said:
I got the Playstation for Christmas when I was but a wee lad. I think I received it the same year the Nintendo 64 released - my older brother received the Nintendo 64 that same Christmas.

I got the Playstation because Spyro was the best dragon that could not fly... for the most part. Spyro 1-3 were kickass. After that the series went downhill. I would like to say it was because I outgrew Spyro, however I do feel like the quality overall did drop.

My Playstation was the only console that I have owned with a chip in it. Hell everyone in my area that owned a Playstation had a chip so they could get games for like $1-5 each.

I feel like every Playstation console that followed did not have such a huge piracy problem. Nintendo's DS is probably the closest thing to have come to the PS1's piracy problem. My DS was legitimate as I prefer getting games (movies and CDs too) legitimately to support developers of games that I like.

Its actually easier and more convenient now to pirate on DS, SNES or N64 dueto flashcards

Around the Network

None. It was a Christmas present.

If I'm going to speculate, I'd say Crash would have been a strong contender if it was me who decided to get it instead. As for my parents' decision to get it, well, me and my brother got the Mickey Mouse game and a Formula 1 game first, so...

Once me and my brothers saw a PlayStation kiosk in target in 95, 96 I believe, we played a demo of battle arena toshinden and our 13 year old minds were floored by it, despite it being a pretty crappy game lol.

A couple years later, we sold our Sega Saturn to pay for one. Been with PlayStation ever since.

Resident Evil was really really great and because I was so young, I was actually scared by it! Ever since I played that game, I wanted to get a PS1, but I didn't have the money, because I went to school and stuff. Luckily, Resident Evil came for PC later, same as Final Fantasy 7 and Metal Gear Solid. So I didn't miss too much.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Pretty sure it was Resident Evil.