By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What was the game that convinced you to get a PS1?

Wasn't really a single game that made me get the PS1, was more like a lack of certain games on my N64 that made me go get the PS1 and then I got to enjoy my wonderful JRPGs :D Back then my favorite genres were Platformers and RPGs (Still is!) so I got the best of both worlds by owning both the N64 and PS1.

Around the Network

I had an N64 and thought it was great. It was all I knew.... But after Killer Instinct Gold, there were no new games I wanted to buy. My friend showed me Tekken 2. I was blown away.

I bought a PS1 and toshinden (crap), Tomb Raider, and Resident Evil a couple of months later. Couldn't have been happier.

Oddly enough I got one as a gift which included GT (never was a fan though). Medieval, Spyro & LoD defined the PS1 for me.

Playing resident evil at a friend's house. Was saving every penny I got my hands on waiting for the n64, but after playing that I had to get a playstation.

Literally the first ones I played: Destruction Derby and Ridge Racer. Then I played Tekken and Warhark the second time I rented it. Had one about 3 months after launch.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network

True story: I bought one because I was angry at Nintendo for delaying the Nintendo 64 again (lol). That was spring 1996, just as Resident Evil was coming out.

I got it with Wipe Out, NFL Game Day, and later grabbed NBA Live '96.

None. I bought PS1 completely blind. I remember one guy talking how Ridge Racer was the best racing game ever and how PS1 would be the future with CD's. That's it, no photos, no articles, no gameplay, I did not even know what the console looked like. Had NES and SNES before. Bought it pretty much at launch, I was mad lucky, lol.

I cannot imagine toilet-free life.

Kebabs have a unique attribute compared to other consumables. To unlock this effect you need to wolf down a big ass kebab really fast, like under 10 minutes or so and wait for the effect to kick in. If done correctly your movements should feel unbelievably heavy to the point where you literally cannot move at all.

-Downtown Alanya Kebab magazine issue no.198

I honestly can't remember buying one, though I know I did.

I think it must've been Crash Bandicoot. I'd played that pretty early on and been wowed by it.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Tekken 3 , my mind was blown when i saw this game.

lol the same. I went to a now closed videogame store called Electronic Boutique to get my parents to buy me a N64 because somehow a copy of Mario 64 made it home and I could only watch the backbox cuz I didn't have the system.

Then they had Tekken 3 there for costumers to play and I played the game for several minutes and told my parents to buy me that one instead. :D I had played Mortal Kombat games before, so when I saw those guys in Tekken 3 side-stepping while fighting I was like: "The future is now, baby! This is next-gen!". Well, I was too young back then to even know what gaming gens were but hopefully I am conveying the feeling.

One day I lent my PS1 to a friend and he lent me his 64 for some weeks to play because he got so crazy for Chrono Cross when I showed that game to him and I got to play me some N64. He switched to PlayStation the following gens, but I never were more happy to have chosen my PS1 that day. :D

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

pokoko said:

I remember talking to a friend when the ad came on television.  My jaw dropped and my decision was made.  

That's a pretty amazing advert, daft that it shows a spoiler, altho it is also shown in a picture on the back of the box of the game but it's not as obvious as when they state "a love that cannot be"

OT I can't actually remember 1 game in particular, I recall playing GTA for hours at a friends place, think between Gran Turismo 1 and Tekken 2 I really wanted it, I don't think I got FF7 around launch but saw it in a game shop here and see rpg by Squaresoft, having played Secret of Mana and Evermore on the SNES to death I figured I'd like it.

Great system tho, can't believe it was 20 years ago, I would have been... 12? damn.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive