By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Frostbite Dev: The PS3 CELL Retarded The Industry Significantly

Pavolink said:
Lawlight said:
Pavolink said:

Then the new consoles have failed, too.

Except every dev talking about development on the PS4 says how easy it is to develop games on it.

But we still have delays, so it must be a lie.

Nope... CELL retarded the industry so much, that we will feel the delays for the next 50 years.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
UltimateGamerConsole said:

It does, but that doesn't make up for the huge difference in detail. Also, GTA V is more open-world than Halo 4, and still looks way better, so my point stands.

Technically, I think GTA V and God Of War III are the most impressive games on 7th gen that still hold up to most current-gen games.

I think Halo 4 pushing more assets absolutely makes up for a visual disparity. Smaller area, less assets, extra polish.

GTAV looks amazing for a 7th gen open world game. But also has alot of spots that underwhelm. Like low poly models at the titty bars.

God of War has some great visuals, but again a small scale game with a fixed camera. God of War Acession looks even better, but another small scale game with a fixed camera.

Maybe you don't know what "scale" means. Those Titans and bosses in God Of War III were bigger than entire levels in some other games, and still had a lot of detail and good framerate. Its got a more impressive scale than Halo 4.

Mr Puggsly said:

I think Halo 4 pushing more assets absolutely makes up for a visual disparity. Smaller area, less assets, extra polish.

GTAV looks amazing for a 7th gen open world game. But also has alot of spots that underwhelm. Like low poly models at the titty bars.

God of War has some great visuals, but again a small scale game with a fixed camera. God of War Acession looks even better, but another small scale game with a fixed camera.

Maybe you don't know what "scale" means. Those Titans and bosses in God Of War III were bigger than entire levels in some other games, and still had a lot of detail and good framerate. Its got a more impressive scale than Halo 4.

They did a good job of making you feel small while climbing something huge.  Basically a living level.  That's just like Shadow of the Colossus or those giant spider tanks in Halo 3.  If that's scale (and it is), what would you say about an entire level taking place inside of a giant creature (ie: Gears of War 2, Star Fox Adventures, etc.) because it was so huge it ate you.  In Gears 2's case, it was so big it ate your whole city.

I think you guys are taking about two different kinds of "scale".  You're talking about the size of the creatures (like Poseidon).  He's taking about how far off into the distance he can see and how huge the levels feel.  As big as those titans are, you still only see a small amount on screen at a time.

And guess what? Neither one of you is wrong.

d21lewis said:

They did a good job of making you feel small while climbing something huge.  Basically a living level.  That's just like Shadow of the Colossus or those giant spider tanks in Halo 3.  If that's scale (and it is), what would you say about an entire level taking place inside of a giant creature (ie: Gears of War 2, Star Fox Adventures, etc.) because it was so huge it ate you.  In Gears 2's case, it was so big it ate your whole city.

I think you guys are taking about two different kinds of "scale".  You're talking about the size of the creatures (like Poseidon).  He's taking about how far off into the distance he can see and how huge the levels feel.  As big as those titans are, you still only see a small amount on screen at a time.

Man, there were some parts that you have very big scale on screen, with more than one Titan showing in full... just not sure if they were gameplay, QTE or CGI

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
d21lewis said:

Man, there were some parts that you have very big scale on screen, with more than one Titan showing in full... just not sure if they were gameplay, QTE or CGI

They were gameplay, partly QTE but mostly gameplay.

Around the Network
d21lewis said:

The Gears 2 and Star Fox Adventures comparison doesn't do it justice. There was nothing as massive as God Of War III's bosses in these games, and with that level of detail, it is astounding. Poseidon was actually small compared to Gaia and Chronos.

d21lewis said:

Right, I'm talking about large open areas you can explore. Versus a nice looking game that seem large, but have a linear areas to explore. God of War is linear, has a fixed camera, and even closes off areas during heavier action scenes.

When people compare Halo or BF to Killzone, its absolutely fair to take into consideration the scale of environments, character models, vehicles, etc. Killzone on PS3 is basically like a CoD, linear action but slower.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

d21lewis said:

The Gears 2 and Star Fox Adventures comparison doesn't do it justice. There was nothing as massive as God Of War III's bosses in these games, and with that level of detail, it is astounding. Poseidon was actually small compared to Gaia and Chronos.

How about compared to this guy?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qn3HWy0IXpQ (Fast forward to 11 mins)

*edit*  I haven't played GoW3 in years.  Just looked up the battle with the boss that had Kratos running around like a bug on his arm.  Very impressive.  Forgot all about it.  Think I was too blinded by Aphrodite's boobies to think of anything else.

d21lewis said:

How about compared to this guy?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qn3HWy0IXpQ (Fast forward to 11 mins)

*edit*  I haven't played GoW3 in years.  Just looked up the battle with the boss that had Kratos running around like a bug on his arm.  Very impressive.  Forgot all about it.  Think I was too blinded by Aphrodite's boobies to think of anything else.

Liked the video... ever though about buying the game, is it good?

But although the boss is gynormous, there isn't much texture detail, LOD and draw distance if you think about it, besides being QTE... but I really liked it.

We shouldn't use the word retarded.