By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Frostbite Dev: The PS3 CELL Retarded The Industry Significantly

UltimateGamerConsole said:

Also to Mr Puggsly, Halo 4 looks quite unimpressive even in front of Killzone 3, let alone the PS3's best. I'd say GTA V is the best looking game on Xbox 360 even though its not exclusive.

You should play more Halo 4 I guess, because youre wrong.

Also, Halo 4 is a larger scale game. You guys keep comparing Killzone with games that push more assets.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:

Also to Mr Puggsly, Halo 4 looks quite unimpressive even in front of Killzone 3, let alone the PS3's best. I'd say GTA V is the best looking game on Xbox 360 even though its not exclusive.

Also, Halo 4 is a larger scale game. You guys keep comparing Killzone with games that push more assets.

Probably you too are talking about different aspects of the graphics... because yes on a balance Halo 4 would perhaps go closer to scale and Killzone to photo realism. To anyone uninformed they could think that it's due a very weaker HW or gen difference.

I certainly wouldn't say that there is a gen (or even half gen) difference between the 2 first, like there is to the third pic... but you can't deny that Killzone on a screenshot is a lot more impressive than Halo

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Probably you too are talking about different aspects of the graphics... because yes on a balance Halo 4 would perhaps go closer to scale and Killzone to photo realism. To anyone uninformed they could think that it's due a very weaker HW or gen difference

I certainly wouldn't say that there is a gen (or even half gen) difference between the 2 first, like there is to the third pic... but you can't deny that Killzone on a screenshot is a lot more impressive than Halo

I've played all the PS3 games known for their graphics. And my feeling has generally been these games look great, but feel small in scale.

Hence, smaller levels can focus on greater detail.

Looking at a picture I see Killzone has more polish. But the amount of characters and size of the environments in Halo 4 were another level than Killzone. I say that as some who owns those games.

Bottom line, I think we can agree the generation apart in graphics comment is nonsense. Personally I feel BF4 on PS3 is more impressive than Killzone. That's a game that made me feel these 7th gen machines are capable of alot.

On a side note, Killzone on PS2 had horrible, bland, graphics. Certainly not the benchmark for 6th gen or even PS2 graphics.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
DonFerrari said:

Probably you too are talking about different aspects of the graphics... because yes on a balance Halo 4 would perhaps go closer to scale and Killzone to photo realism. To anyone uninformed they could think that it's due a very weaker HW or gen difference

I've played all the PS3 games known for their graphics. And my feeling has generally been these games look great, but feel small in scale.

Hence, smaller levels can focus on greater detail.

Looking at a picture I see Killzone has more polish. But the amount of characters and size of the environments in Halo 4 were another level than Killzone. I say that as some who owns those games.

Bottom line, I think we can agree the generation apart in graphics comment is nonsense. Personally I feel BF4 on PS3 is more impressive than Killzone. That's a game that made me feel these 7th gen machines are capable of alot.

On a side note, Killzone on PS2 had horrible, bland, graphics. Certainly not the benchmark for 6th gen or even PS2 graphics.

Agree with everything... just justified that for a uninformed person that just saw a screenshot of Halo and KZ it would appear KZ is on a lot more powerfull machine, but as you said it was used to other important tasks... but we can't expect common customer to evaluate correctly

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Mr Puggsly said:

It does, but that doesn't make up for the huge difference in detail. Also, GTA V is more open-world than Halo 4, and still looks way better, so my point stands.

Technically, I think GTA V and God Of War III are the most impressive games on 7th gen that still hold up to most current-gen games.

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:

It does, but that doesn't make up for the huge difference in detail. Also, GTA V is more open-world than Halo 4, and still looks way better, so my point stands.

Technically, I think GTA V and God Of War III are the most impressive games on 7th gen that still hold up to most current-gen games.

I think Halo 4 pushing more assets absolutely makes up for a visual disparity. Smaller area, less assets, extra polish.

GTAV looks amazing for a 7th gen open world game. But also has alot of spots that underwhelm. Like low poly models at the titty bars.

God of War has some great visuals, but again a small scale game with a fixed camera. God of War Acession looks even better, but another small scale game with a fixed camera.

Recently Completed

Lawlight said:
fatslob-:O said:
It really did setback the industry when you think about it ...

Delays and etc became more frequent because of it and are people here really going to argue against senior programmers and engineers who know better than everyone else when it comes to the technical side of game development ?

And now there are less delays, right? And we've advanced so much since then gaming wise, right?

Then the new consoles have failed, too.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Pavolink said:
Lawlight said:

And now there are less delays, right? And we've advanced so much since then gaming wise, right?

Except every dev talking about development on the PS4 says how easy it is to develop games on it.

Lawlight said:
Pavolink said:

Except every dev talking about development on the PS4 says how easy it is to develop games on it.

But we still have delays, so it must be a lie.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Pavolink said:
Lawlight said:

There are several places on GoW3 that the scale is tremendous (like the Titans opening scene, but sure they cut some on the enemy count there).