By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Frostbite Dev: The PS3 CELL Retarded The Industry Significantly

Mr Puggsly said:
dyremose said:
I love statements like these. It exposes bad developers. Some of the most visually impressive titles is only on the ps3. If others could do it, then that argument is invalid as you either spent too little time on optimization or just couldn't achieve what others did

All Sony did was make PS3 games. So obviously they are going to make better use of the hardware than most developers.

3rd parties worked on multiple machines and dealing with PS3's unusual hardware has been called difficult by many.

Sony proved developers were right, they should be given more stadard hardware to work with given they make Playstation a success. Remember, Playstation is All Consoles are nothing without 3rd party support. PS4 is basically the opposite of PS3 to multiplat developers.

Fixed.

Around the Network
GProgrammer said:
Mr Puggsly said:

LOL, maybe we should have sources if its gonna be treated as a fact.

Why would MS give that much money to a studio with no significant success? Why would MS invest that much in a IP they dont appear to own?

So we need some sources before I believe it had that budget.

between 60-100 million, plus

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/too-human-retrospective-flop

After Silicon Knights was found guilty of breaching their contract, misappropriating trade secrets, and infringing on Epic's copyrights, the company had to pay $4.45 million in damages, and destroy all copies of their games built with Unreal Engine 3—including Too Human. So the tragic story of Silicon Knights' wayward production not only ends with death at retail and a critical lambasting, but court-ordered euthanasia.

"Too Human never stood a chance of recouping its estimated $60-$100 million budget (sadly, no concrete figures exist)"

Even he couldnt find a source and I bet he did some searching. Its a great story so people want it to be true.

Im sure it had a big budget, Im sure it lost money, but it doesent feel or look like a $60-100 million game. Also, that's a lot of money for a new IP they don't own.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Eddie_Raja said:
Mr Puggsly said:

If I saw an open world Killzone game, maybe I would agree. But last I checked they were linear. Killzone was designed to be less demanding than games like Farcry, Crysis, and Battlefield.

Your friend is wrong about BF4. I played it on PS3 and it ran surprisingly well. The digital foundry videos show the frame rate dips into the lower 20s during destruction scenes. But so did Uncharted 3. TLoU dipped into the low 20s even when nothing was really happening.

TLoU was a nice looking game on PS3. But the lighting isnt as good as you have exagerated. Either way, it has constant frame dips. Earlier you were boasting it stays at 30 fps. You were flatout wrong.

Have you extensively played Killzone?  Many places are massive in size.  Hell many of Killzone 2's maps were comparible in size to smaller Battlefield maps.

What matters isn't just if it's "Open World", what matters is how big/much the stuff on screen being rendered is - and Killzone rendered massive battles on screen far larger than Far Cry's.  It's not even comparible.

I own and played through Killzone 2 and 3. Frankly, I think they are very nice looking games. But don't have the scale of other games we're talking about.

If someone asked me what's a great looking FPS PS3 game, I would sooner say BF4 than Killzone 2/3.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
Eddie_Raja said:
Mr Puggsly said:

If I saw an open world Killzone game, maybe I would agree. But last I checked they were linear. Killzone was designed to be less demanding than games like Farcry, Crysis, and Battlefield.

Your friend is wrong about BF4. I played it on PS3 and it ran surprisingly well. The digital foundry videos show the frame rate dips into the lower 20s during destruction scenes. But so did Uncharted 3. TLoU dipped into the low 20s even when nothing was really happening.

TLoU was a nice looking game on PS3. But the lighting isnt as good as you have exagerated. Either way, it has constant frame dips. Earlier you were boasting it stays at 30 fps. You were flatout wrong.

Have you extensively played Killzone?  Many places are massive in size.  Hell many of Killzone 2's maps were comparible in size to smaller Battlefield maps.

What matters isn't just if it's "Open World", what matters is how big/much the stuff on screen being rendered is - and Killzone rendered massive battles on screen far larger than Far Cry's.  It's not even comparible.

I own and played through Killzone 2 and 3. Frankly, I think they are very nice looking games. But don't have the scale of other games we're talking about.

If someone asked me what's a great looking FPS PS3 game, I would sooner say BF4 than Killzone 2/3.

Haha and that is where we agree to disagree.

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

What hurt the PS3 more than the Cell was it's memory. Navigating that UI was... rough. I still shutter as the thought of using the in game friends list/trophy menu. That was like pulling teeth.

Around the Network

Resistance is way better than Killzone in the FPS department. Those games were FUN. Killzone was boooorrrriiinnnnnggggg.

Snoopy said:
Resistance is way better than Killzone in the FPS department. Those games were FUN. Killzone was boooorrrriiinnnnnggggg.

Resistance is definitely a more refreshing approach to a shooter. Not a great series, but I had fun with it.

Killzone and Resistance are two IPs with a lot more potential than we've seen.

Recently Completed

Mr Puggsly said:
dyremose said:
I love statements like these. It exposes bad developers. Some of the most visually impressive titles is only on the ps3. If others could do it, then that argument is invalid as you either spent too little time on optimization or just couldn't achieve what others did

All Sony did was make PS3 games. So obviously they are going to make better use of the hardware than most developers.

3rd parties worked on multiple machines and dealing with PS3's unusual hardware has been called difficult by many.

Sony proved developers were right, they should be given more stadard hardware to work with given they make Playstation a success. Remember, Playstation is nothing without 3rd party support. PS4 is basically the opposite of PS3 to multiplat developers.

Its not only PlayStation, consoles in general are nothing without third-party support.

Eddie_Raja said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Eddie_Raja said:

I am just gonna have to vehimantly disagree with you on that one.  My friends who had 360's actually told be they thought the 360's games looked almost a gen behind, so I was being nice with what I said/think.

When it comes to technically impressive - Killzone 2 with 32 players and far better physics and lighting makes 10-player Gears look downright simplistic.

Gears 1 looks dated and should, its from 2006. Gears 2 raised the bar on scale, it was able to push a lot more on screen while maintaining great performance. Gears 3 added a lot more polish.

Killzone games on PS3 look very impressive for the 7th gen, but they don't look a generation ahead. Far Cry 3 and 4 are overall better looking games and open world.

They don't get much attention but the Battlefield 4 and Hardline look pretty good on 7th gen. They impress me more than the Killzone games.

Well like I said those were my friends with 360's.  At its best the PS3 looked half a gen ahead imo.

Sure FC3 and Battlefield 4 look good for their generation, but they also run at like 20 FPS as they struggle to keep up with next gen consoles 6 and 12 times stronger.

But I do still think Killzone 3, Uncharted 3, and TLoU are the best looking games on PS3 - and they keep 30 FPS.

I think God Of War III and Ascension are way superior to any other PS3 games technically alongside GTA V. As good as they look, KZ3, Uncharted 3 and TLOU don't match up with these games on PS3.

Also to Mr Puggsly, Halo 4 looks quite unimpressive even in front of Killzone 3, let alone the PS3's best. I'd say GTA V is the best looking game on Xbox 360 even though its not exclusive.

None of you got it right... he knows that Sony dominantion is the best for the industry... so since Cell was part of the cause of PS3 not dominating the gen them it is partly at fault for retarding the same...

Doesn't it makes sense now?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."