By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Do you want a new 3D Donkey Kong game?

Tagged games:

What would you like to see in a new 3D DK game, if it happens again?

The 2D DK Country series in 3D. 30 29.41%

The DK 64 formula brought back. 35 34.31%

Something completely different. 37 36.27%

Total:102

3DW has the most collectables of any 3D Mario actually (380 green stars versus 120 power stars in SM64). Not to mention the 85 stamps. This is why you are very much blinded by nostalgia: you would have agreed with my argument had I said SM64 even though that game has far less collectables.

So it is as I thought, you have nothing to back up any of your claims except "I say so". Here's a tip for you: don't mention it then as you're breaking the rules already. "You're a troll, but I'm not going to say why because I might get banned". Ok then... I barely even post outside the Nintendo section and I fail to see what it has to do with a thread like this (in other words you tried to attack the man behind the posts instead of the arguments).

Around the Network

Well, personally, I think that in 64 the red coins count (as Jinjos would in Banjo) because you need to collect them to beat the game 100%, and the 100 coins per level needed for a star as well (same with notes for Banjo). That's a similar vein to needing all the Bananas to 100% DK, hence the comparison. Otherwise, you're technically correct in saying that the game has the most collectibles, but only because 3DW takes the level design from 2D Mario, meaning every level is incredibly small. To collect everything in 3DW takes roughly the same time as any other 3D Mario besides maybe Galaxy 2 (if not less, I've never tried a 100% speedrun of any). But again, you're reaching in order to compare a new game to an incredibly old one to make the latter seem bad. It's comparing open-world hubs to incredibly linear levels.

Sorry for all the Banjo references, I'm on a Banjo kick right now because I finally decided to get around to playing it. It's a fair comparison to DK, though, as is SM64, because they're of a similar era. The only more modern games I can personally think of that are comparable in terms of collectathon gameplay are Sunshine and Jak and Daxter. 3DW focuses too much on being a quick, enjoyable romp to make the collecting feel like collecting. (Admittedly, I got almost everything my first go-around in most levels, so that doesn't help my stance on the collectibles.) But if you're set on it now, nothing's gonna convince you otherwise, especially when most of your argument relies on restated comments from the Internet and comparisons to games that are 15 years its junior. I mean, you've never even stated whether you've tried the game, so for all I know you hate it solely in concept.

The only reason I'm even supporting a 3D DK right now, if I may jump back to the main topic, is because I think just enough time has passed for the collectathon genre to be viable again. Jak 1 showed that the genre wasn't feasible on sixth-gen hardware, because it was so damn short. I 100%ed it in two short sessions within a 24 hour period. That's why ND went on to Jak II being the new fad style (GTAlike) with some previous elements. But now that we've had a resurgence of the entire platformer genre, the logical conclusion is to return to the collectathon platformer, except this time with equal elements of both, now that we have the power to do so and the ability to do so without making the game incredibly short. There's a reason Yooka-Laylee finally came about now, and not three years ago, after all. It's just the right time to try it again, and since DK has generally been the experimental big-name franchise for Nintendo, it's the right franchise to try it with.

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

I would very love 3D Donkey Kong!

I am fine with all 3 options.
People need to remember that DK 64 was developed by Rare when they were way too much in collectables, so even if Nintendo would make game with same formula it would be pretty different.

DK64 said:
Samus Aran said:

People have horrible taste if they think DK64 was a good game.

But yeah, we need a 3D DK platformer, but it will never happen. I'm not even sure if we'll see any real DK games next gen.

metroid is not happening, RETRO prefers DK 100 times more than samus

I am pretty sure we will have Metroid on NX, maybe they will show us it next year.

I don't care much for a 3d donkey Kong but damn the wiiu needs one. I mean wth is with all 2d games out atm. Nintendo brought me back this gen (since n64) with games like zombiu and Zelda u but damn there pushing me away again like they did with GameCube and Wii.

Around the Network

More than i want a new 2D Donkey Kong which i don't want ever again

melbye said:
More than i want a new 2D Donkey Kong which i don't want ever again

That's why Retro is probably working on another DKC game right now!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

I've tried playing both Returns and Tropical Freeze, and couldn't play more than 2 levels without being bored already, it's a shame too, because everyone seems to love those games. So yes, I'd like a new 3D Donkey Kong game, maybe then I'd be more interested in this series. Heck, go all out and make a 3D Kirby too, we've never got one of those.

The things that I didn't like about DK 64 we're the controls and the camera. If those were better, I think I would enjoy DK 64 more than I do.

I bet the Wii U would sell more than 15M LTD by the end of 2015. He bet it would sell less. I lost.

Samus Aran said:
3DW has the most collectables of any 3D Mario actually (380 green stars versus 120 power stars in SM64). Not to mention the 85 stamps. This is why you are very much blinded by nostalgia: you would have agreed with my argument had I said SM64 even though that game has far less collectables.

So it is as I thought, you have nothing to back up any of your claims except "I say so". Here's a tip for you: don't mention it then as you're breaking the rules already. "You're a troll, but I'm not going to say why because I might get banned". Ok then... I barely even post outside the Nintendo section and I fail to see what it has to do with a thread like this (in other words you tried to attack the man behind the posts instead of the arguments).

The difference between the collectibles in 3DW and the collectibles in SM64/DK64/Galaxy/Banjo etc is that the collectables aren't used for padding in the those. They are used to organically increase difficulty. In the latter, its an excuse to recycle levels repeatedly by giving you inconsequential objectives to do on the same map. There are more power stars in SMW because their are more unique levels in 3DW than any 3D Mario by a mile. Stars in 3DW work different than collectibles in collectathons. I wouldn't even count stamps, because they are inconsequential to the gameplay experience, unlike collectibles in collectathons.

But you are right. DK64 was donkey butt. A new 3D Donkey Kong is probably being made by Retro now, if they aren't already making Diddy Kong Racing Returns, and I think that a Donkey Kong 3D game with the linear design philosophies of Tropical Freeze and Returns would be fantastic. Just make linear 3D levels with the same art and sound design as those guys with the same KONG difficulty collectable, and that's it. No collectathon garbage.