By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Do you want a new 3D Donkey Kong game?

Tagged games:

What would you like to see in a new 3D DK game, if it happens again?

The 2D DK Country series in 3D. 30 29.41%

The DK 64 formula brought back. 35 34.31%

Something completely different. 37 36.27%

Total:102

The DKC titles on the SNES were fantastic, but the DKCR/TF have just felt... A little empty to me. I just didn't like their atmospheres.

Rather than just another DKC game, I'd really like a DK64 sequel. Also, I'd like a Donkey Konga sequel; outside of Elite Beat Agents, I'm not much of a rhythm game person, but Donkey Konga was a blast.

Around the Network

yes please

metroid is not happening, RETRO prefers DK 100 times more than samus

Samus Aran said:

People have horrible taste if they think DK64 was a good game.

But yeah, we need a 3D DK platformer, but it will never happen. I'm not even sure if we'll see any real DK games next gen.

DK64 said:
Samus Aran said:

People have horrible taste if they think DK64 was a good game.

But yeah, we need a 3D DK platformer, but it will never happen. I'm not even sure if we'll see any real DK games next gen.

You do realize Tropical Freeze is one of my favorite Wii U games, right?

Around the Network
Samus Aran said

And where did I do that?

DK64 was a bad game, get over it. Way too much obnoxious collecting, annoying minigames that barely work, unfocused, barely any platforming, etc.

Most people who play it today don't even like it.

Most of your posts reek of it whenever you post anywhere but the Nintendo section. I won't go any further because I'd rather not get modded for pointing out a well-known fact of VGC. 

As for the second part of your post, I'll reiterate, since you're clearly just restating what others have said on the Internet and not going off of experience, that only one set of minigames has problems working. That's Beaver Bother, and it's well-known to be the single worst part about the game. Others would argue that it's not that bad, but I am not others; those particular minigames are trash. 

Moreover, the game is not meant to be a platformer at heart. It's meant to be a collectathon, the logical conclusion to everything Rare had made prior. In the 40 hours that DK64 is to 101%, I'd still say a good fourth or so of it is pure platforming of some sort, but it's an adventure game more than a platformer. In the same way that shooter fans call Prime a terrible FPS (which rightfully, it is), platformer fans going into DK64 expecting a platformer are gonna be upset. Both games are shoehorned into genres they don't belong in by critics when they're in more than just a cookie cutter genre. 

I'll give you that the game can lack focus at times. Some would again argue that this is a benefit to the style, forcing the player to pick up the slack and remember where X character's bananas are and what to do with all five characters each stage. I'm not one of those people; at points, the game gets pretty goddamn tedious, at others it's a completionist's dream, sometimes both simultaneously.

To call the game terrible is to misunderstand the while point of the game. The game's quality depends entirely on the player's understanding of the genre itself. 

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

Way too much hate on DK64. It was a collectathon. That's what you did in it. You collected stuff. There was a lot of hidden stuff to find, well designed worlds, great boss fights, lovely graphics, and nice music. It wasn't near perfect but there was something oddly tranquil about sifting through the levels, and of course there was immense satisfaction in collecting everything.

Of course the game was overly ambitious and way too bloated, and Rare simply didn't know when to leave something on the cutting room floor, but it's still a fun romp.

DivinePaladin said:
Samus Aran said

And where did I do that?

DK64 was a bad game, get over it. Way too much obnoxious collecting, annoying minigames that barely work, unfocused, barely any platforming, etc.

Most people who play it today don't even like it.

Most of your posts reek of it whenever you post anywhere but the Nintendo section. I won't go any further because I'd rather not get modded for pointing out a well-known fact of VGC. 

As for the second part of your post, I'll reiterate, since you're clearly just restating what others have said on the Internet and not going off of experience, that only one set of minigames has problems working. That's Beaver Bother, and it's well-known to be the single worst part about the game. Others would argue that it's not that bad, but I am not others; those particular minigames are trash. 

Moreover, the game is not meant to be a platformer at heart. It's meant to be a collectathon, the logical conclusion to everything Rare had made prior. In the 40 hours that DK64 is to 101%, I'd still say a good fourth or so of it is pure platforming of some sort, but it's an adventure game more than a platformer. In the same way that shooter fans call Prime a terrible FPS (which rightfully, it is), platformer fans going into DK64 expecting a platformer are gonna be upset. Both games are shoehorned into genres they don't belong in by critics when they're in more than just a cookie cutter genre. 

I'll give you that the game can lack focus at times. Some would again argue that this is a benefit to the style, forcing the player to pick up the slack and remember where X character's bananas are and what to do with all five characters each stage. I'm not one of those people; at points, the game gets pretty goddamn tedious, at others it's a completionist's dream, sometimes both simultaneously.

To call the game terrible is to misunderstand the while point of the game. The game's quality depends entirely on the player's understanding of the genre itself. 

If you're going to insult/attack me then at least have the decency to risk a ban. I asked for examples, so give them. I'm much more inclined to report for cowardice than for someone insulting me. ;)

Even the Rare guys who worked on it said they overdid it with the collecting stuff. The game plays like a parody of Rare's work... The only problem is that it was actually made by them.

A game like that wouldn't go over well with critics and fans today. If they're going to make a new 3D DK platformer they shouldn't base themselves on some archaic game of the past.

Collecting stuff is all fine and dandy, but there needs to be more to a game. SM3DW strikes a nice balance between collecting and platforming. It's a game with much more polish than DK64.

Retro should just take the DKC formula to 3D: central hub world where you access every level where you can collect 4 .KONG letters and hidden puzzle pieces. When it comes to level design it should take inspiration from Mario 64 and SM3DW. What sets it apart from Mario platformers would be the dynamic and organic level theme. No artificial looking floaty blocks in my Donkey Kong. Levels could fall apart as you walk through them, like when you're being chased by a mad pack of rhino's for example. Or what about busting your way through a beehive when all of a sudden you fall down a honey filled slide where you have to avoid all kinds of pointy obstacles. Or what about surfting through a wild river with Funky Kong? It would work very much like the mine kart levels in the 2D games, but in 3D instead!

Again, the rest of the users here, you included, know what I'm talking about, and I'm not the first to point it out. Out of respect for the forum rules (I do admin a forum of my own after all), I'm gonna leave things there.

3DW barely has any collecting, and by that example alone it's fairly clear the genre was never meant for you. I mean, there's five collectibles per level in that game (three green stars, a stamp, and a golden flag), that's the lowest in any 3D Mario besides 3D Land. I mean, I still 100%ed it* and loved every second of it, but that's not striking a balance at all. Had you said SM64 or Banjo or something I could see your argument but, well, again, your comments have shown the collectathon genre isn't for you. The same goes for comparing the polish of an endgame N64 game, which literally doesn't work without a RAM expansion, to one of the most polished games of three generations later. Yeah, the game isn't polished, but at least try to make a logical comparison instead of doing everything in your power to trash the game in every way.

Ninjaedit: forgot the *. I gold flagged every level with two of the five characters in 3DW, and got everything with those two. Sort of got tedious after that, and I had other games to conquer so I never ended up going back yet. 

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

I don't know why there was no "no" option. I'm not ready for a new DK yet, so my answer ends up just as no.

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.