By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Super Mario Sunshine- Cancelled Multiplayer and other tidbits from development

Tagged games:

"Some tidbits on the development of Super Mario Sunshine; the first two are fairly new, the other ones are older, but still not widely known:

- An unused camera behaviour in the game's code suggests that the developers at least experimented with a multiplayer mode. Although it was dropped for unknown reasons, the early beta multiplayer camera is still functional.

-Work on Sunshine began around Late 2000/Early 2001, so that the game was in development for only around one and a half years. It heavily suffered from time constraints, which even Miyamoto admitted 2003 in an interview.

-At least five worlds were cut from the final game. Their names can still be found in the game's code.

- Sunshine originally run at 60 fps, even the version shown at E3 2002 mere weeks before release was 60 fps. The final game was downgraded to 30 fps for unknown reasons."

I left out some tidbits, but they can be found in the article. Anyway, I don't even want to imagine how crazy multiplayer in Sunshine would have been! Also, I'm not too surprised that Sunshine suffered from time constraints. It's not a bad game, but it did feel very rushed and that's why it became the black sheep of the Mario franchise. There's no doubt that a Sunshine sequel most likely wouldn't suffer from such problems.

Article: http://gonintendo.com/stories/241724-super-mario-sunshine-cancelled-multiplayer-and-other-tidbits-fro

-

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network

Wow 5 more worlds? Wish they could remake and add that.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Huh, that 30/60 fps thing really baffles me.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

sad that they didnt cancel the whole game.

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

Pavolink said:
Wow 5 more worlds? Wish they could remake and add that.

Yeah, perhaps they could remake the game in order to gauge interest for a sequel? I wouldn't mind a Sunshine 2 that fixes the original's flaws!

Around the Network

Interesting... this is probably my favorite 3D Mario XD I hope it gets remade someday, it was so unique, and while they're add it they should add those 5 cut worlds

Oh, don't go and speculate on multiplayer now. That's just gonna get the Sunshine fan's hopes up and make him ask for a remake again. That guy's been through enough, I mean he played Sunshine after all.

Jokes aside, the multiplayer probably would've sucked so that's not a big deal. Likely would've been similar to the plans for Luigi's Mansion's canned multiplayer. The 5 world's could've been cool if they weren't all focused on the beach motif; that was already tiring after the levels we already had.

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

StarOcean said:
Interesting... this is probably my favorite 3D Mario XD I hope it gets remade someday, it was so unique, and while they're add it they should add those 5 cut worlds

Well, this  is definitely not something you hear every day!

remake this now with all those extra still in the code..... NOW!!!

last mario Game on Wii U - next Holiday!

Switch!!!