By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Should EA continue to ignore Nintendo?

They were there with the wii. They had some support for the GC. They will be back for NX if it sells well.

Around the Network
RubberWhistleHistle said:

localization requires more time invested into the project though. in the case of crysis, they didnt have to do any further modification to the game. surely, that accounts for something, doesnt it? ive heard of plenty of games failing to be localized to other regions, but ive never heard of a completed port being canned. ever. 

The localization was finished, so yes you have. Just now. It was Mother.

are you 100% POSITIVE about that? lol. It really just sounds like you just want it to be true.

I, on the other hand, do not know what the true story is behind this game not being shipped out. In fact, I would say nobody does besides the people running EA. Again, I have never heard of a port being completed and then not shipped out. They have already made the decision to invest time and recourses in it, and they obviously would have made money on it, so it makes for a very curious situation. It isn't adding up in my mind.

No, it sounds like YOU want it to be true. These are monothithic money making entities, not teens in a high school drama. EA isn't holding a grugde because Nintendo bullied them back in elementary school, EA is making a rational business decision not to support a failed platform no one else is supporting. They are just the ones who were smart enough to do it first. Ubisoft did the same thing with some family game for the Wii U, and similar things happen all the time. This isn't even the 100th time that something like this has happened.

And they obviously would not have made money on it, like with the AssCreeds, and SC: Blacklist, and Most Wanted, and everything else that was a money sink on the Wii U.

Im surprised they haven't tried again with FIFA, a 10 million plus userbase is quite a big one to ignore with a game like FIFA.

JNK said:
spemanig said:

The motive is it wouldn't have sold, and EA would have lost more money than if they had released it. Just like the fully complete localization of Earthbound Beginnings that never came out. No hidden motive. Just an obvious motive: money.

How should EA loose money with an already finished game?

Crysis 3 would had sell easily 100-300k on wii u (like similar aaa titles).

Even if we say just 100k. Ea would probly make 20 bucks profit per sold game (rest taxes and all the other stuff).

100k x 20bucks = 2mil.

How should they pay more then 2mil to release the game? Doesnt make any sense at all.

That's honestly weird numbers you've come up with. Say the Dev cost was 100k, will selling one unit mean $20 profit? Dev costs don't increase with number of units created.

And attaching 20dollars without some reasonable logic as to why. It could be 2 dollars, it could be 50. You don't account for r&d into creating for wii u and optimising engine for wii u. 

And then the fact I hardly think ea would sell anywhere near 100k units at a full price. Yeah, there's very little room for EA to make money on wii u, let's pretend your 2 mill value was real.

Why would ea make a product that grossed 2 mill when they could get that same team to work the same time and make a game that grossed 10 million because they could sell more units?

Around the Network
spemanig said:

are you 100% POSITIVE about that? lol. It really just sounds like you just want it to be true.

I, on the other hand, do not know what the true story is behind this game not being shipped out. In fact, I would say nobody does besides the people running EA. Again, I have never heard of a port being completed and then not shipped out. They have already made the decision to invest time and recourses in it, and they obviously would have made money on it, so it makes for a very curious situation. It isn't adding up in my mind.

No, it sounds like YOU want it to be true. These are monothithic money making entities, not teens in a high school drama. EA isn't holding a grugde because Nintendo bullied them back in elementary school, EA is making a rational business decision not to support a failed platform no one else is supporting. They are just the ones who were smart enough to do it first. Ubisoft did the same thing with some family game for the Wii U, and similar things happen all the time. This isn't even the 100th time that something like this has happened.

And they obviously would not have made money on it, like with the AssCreeds, and SC: Blacklist, and Most Wanted, and everything else that was a money sink on the Wii U.

i feel like youre really just thinking about this whole situation in a one dimensional type of way. think outside of the box a little bit. i have not claimed to know what is going on in this situation like you have, so i dont understand why you are saying that i want XYZ to be true. is considering all options all of the sudden the same as wanting something to be true? 

again, i wouldnt be surprised if there was something deeper going on. you on the other hand seem to be DEAD FUCKING SET in whatever you think.

I wish EA would ignore all the consoles and the industry in general.

spemanig said:

i feel like youre really just thinking about this whole situation in a one dimensional type of way. think outside of the box a little bit. i have not claimed to know what is going on in this situation like you have, so i dont understand why you are saying that i want XYZ to be true. is considering all options all of the sudden the same as wanting something to be true? 

again, i wouldnt be surprised if there was something deeper going on. you on the other hand seem to be DEAD FUCKING SET in whatever you think.

I'll just cite the Dreamcast port of Half Life as the previous example of a game being 100% complete and not released.

Even more concerning, Flintstones: Viva Rock Vegas. That went as far as having review copies shipped and didn't release on Dreamcast.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

fireburn95 said:
JNK said:

How should EA loose money with an already finished game?

Crysis 3 would had sell easily 100-300k on wii u (like similar aaa titles).

Even if we say just 100k. Ea would probly make 20 bucks profit per sold game (rest taxes and all the other stuff).

100k x 20bucks = 2mil.

How should they pay more then 2mil to release the game? Doesnt make any sense at all.

That's honestly weird numbers you've come up with. Say the Dev cost was 100k, will selling one unit mean $20 profit? Dev costs don't increase with number of units created.

And attaching 20dollars without some reasonable logic as to why. It could be 2 dollars, it could be 50. You don't account for r&d into creating for wii u and optimising engine for wii u. 

And then the fact I hardly think ea would sell anywhere near 100k units at a full price. Yeah, there's very little room for EA to make money on wii u, let's pretend your 2 mill value was real.

Why would ea make a product that grossed 2 mill when they could get that same team to work the same time and make a game that grossed 10 million because they could sell more units?

the work was done, they just had to ship the game.

and spoilers, its because EA wanted DRM for their games and nintendo said go eat a dick...

zippy said:
Im surprised they haven't tried again with FIFA, a 10 million plus userbase is quite a big one to ignore with a game like FIFA.

Only about a quarter of that 10 million is in Europe where the vast majority of fifa's sales originates.