By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Should EA continue to ignore Nintendo?

None of their games really interest me that much ( except Mass Effect maybe), so I wouldn't really care if they would stop ignoring Nintendo.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network
spemanig said:
JNK said:

the game was finished. Digital release. Just upload to eshop. 5 hours work.

It would have sold like .1% of that imaginary 100k then.

why?

Platina said:
spemanig said:
Eh. Like, if the NX is successful, they'll be back. They don't have anything against Nintendo outside of a lackluster product that didn't sell.

This basically

They go where the money is

Except, at this point there's already some *some* money on the table for them to grab for. They're either back in with Nintendo in the next year or two, or not at all.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

JNK said:
spemanig said:

It would have sold like .1% of that imaginary 100k then.

why?

EA, as with other eShop releases, would never, ever discount it.

RubberWhistleHistle said:
EA cancelled at 100% completed Crysis 3 that was ready to be shipped and everything. It makes me wonder what their motive is with all this shit? They couldn't even ship out a completed game? They straight up say NO to a few extra bucks, but FOR WHAT? Like you said, they don't have NFS listed on their website. WHY? im sure they have some copies to sell. There seems to be something deeper going on. Something that causes EA to not take any money resulting from a Nintendo product whatsoever. What is the motive??

I think their motive might be to see Nintendo sink to the lowest point possible, then scavenge the remnants of Nintendo into their own portfolio.

I think they've been counting on Nintendo to flail, flop, then crawl back to EA for help - at which point EA hopes to get something for nothing from Nintendo.

Around the Network
JNK said:

why?

Because it would be the digital version of a game of an unpopular genre to the audience of an unpopular platform who's primary form of media is physical.

That's why.

I don't know, I gave up on all EA games a few years ago.

Kind of funny, really, considering the history of these companies. In the early days, EA was one of the principle developers to fight back against Nintendo's tyranny. I believe they were planning to go PC-only rather than cave to Nintendo's demands. I guess these two are destined to not get along, even with changes in leadership.

Still, something had to have happened. I'm guessing that they had an agreement in principle but then a dispute over the details. Probably had something to do with the way EA likes to handle DLC and in-game advertising. That was the basis of their dispute with Steam, after all.

After that, I think EA simply decided to cultivate their consumer base on fewer platforms. If you can get the vast majority of your audience on a smaller number of devices, then you're eliminating some of your overhead.

In the end, whatever the reason, it boils down to money.

Why should EA or any third party bother with Nintendo? If third party games don't do well on Nintendo consoles then there was little demand to begin with. Lack of third party gives further Nintendo reason to get off its ass and start developing games their fans DO want.

Soundwave said:
I think they will have FIFA, Madden NFL, and maybe a Star Wars title (gotta milk that license) for NX launch. Not huge support, but enough to test things out.

I wouldn't mind being able to play a game of FIFA on the go with console-ish quality graphics on the NX handheld so that at least gives the NX a differentiator between other platforms. For Wii U, FIFA was always just going to be ... the same (well inferior version) of FIFA that the other consoles got that played the exact same way, but if you can take your NX games on the go, that changes that. Can't throw your PS4 in your back pack and play on the road.

Not that it really matters at this point, but EA did make a good faith effort to introduce GamePad touchscreen features and game modes that were reasonably well received. However, the anemic launch of the WiiU didn't do enough to push Fifa where Fifa needed to be.

The rule of thumb ought to be if the platform does well and holds even the slightest promise, Fifa ought to do well enough for a sequel the next year.