By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Wii U the Dreamcast of the 2010's?

AEGRO said:
The Wii U wont be remembered 5 years from now, let alone the 16 years that the Dreamcast has since it launched.

I LOVED the Dreamcast, one of the best catalogs of games ever.

yes it will. The Wii U will have the most sought games compared to games that were contemporaries. I made a thread about this recently. It is obvious to see that Wii U games compared to PS4 and X1 games will be worth more. It will be a holy grail amongs collectors, and Wii U games will be worth more in 5 years than dreamcast games will 5 years from now. Dreamcast having the advantage of being a 20 year old vintage console will not have the same market value as 5 to 8 year old Wii U games. I am sure of it.

Around the Network
RubberWhistleHistle said:
AEGRO said:
The Wii U wont be remembered 5 years from now, let alone the 16 years that the Dreamcast has since it launched.

yes it will. The Wii U will have the most sought games compared to games that were contemporaries. I made a thread about this recently. It is obvious to see that Wii U games compared to PS4 and X1 games will be worth more. It will be a holy grail amongs collectors, and Wii U games will be worth more in 5 years than dreamcast games will 5 years from now. Dreamcast having the advantage of being a 20 year old vintage console will not have the same market value as 5 to 8 year old Wii U games. I am sure of it.

LOL 

Im done. Cheers mate.

AEGRO said:

LOL 

Im done. Cheers mate.

great reasoning skills bro

unlike most users on this site, i have the ability to admit when im wrong if presented with compelling reasons why. i know you're probably used to the average "defend your points until the bitter end" type of user, but if you actually tell me why people arent going to be willing to pay big bucks trying to get together a sweet Wii U collection in the future, i am 100% willing to listen.

AEGRO said:

LOL 

Im done. Cheers mate.

unlike most users on this site, i have the ability to admit when im wrong if presented with compelling reasons why. i know you're probably used to the average "defend your points until the bitter end" type of user, but if you actually tell me why people arent going to be willing to pay big bucks trying to get together a sweet Wii U collection in the future, i am 100% willing to listen.

I actually sold my complete Dreamcast set a couple of years ago and got some very nice prices for things :) if my Wii U games will be worth the same sort of money in 5 years I'll be happy.

I've hedged my bets on Vita being where the collectability is this generation. Especially with some physical releases being barely 1000 units globally.

But I certainly agree that games like Mario 3D World are going to hold their value. Not sure they'll appreciate much, but they'll certainly hold far better than the equivalent flagship titles on other systems.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

AEGRO said:

Lol, just because there's a bigger group of hardcore Nintendo collectors willing to pay ridiculous prices for old Nintendo games doesn't mean that those games are remembered more by the general gaming public. The PS2 is often considered the best and most loved console upto date and you can still find its biggest games for relatively cheap nowadays compared to some Gamecube games. These collector prices depend way more on actual scarcity of the product than on how much it is loved or remembered.

Around the Network
MikeRox said:

I actually sold my complete Dreamcast set a couple of years ago and got some very nice prices for things :) if my Wii U games will be worth the same sort of money in 5 years I'll be happy.

I've hedged my bets on Vita being where the collectability is this generation. Especially with some physical releases being barely 1000 units globally.

But I certainly agree that games like Mario 3D World are going to hold their value. Not sure they'll appreciate much, but they'll certainly hold far better than the equivalent flagship titles on other systems.

Dreamcast stuff can vary greatly depending on condition. I dont know what you had in your dreamcast set or what you got for it, but i'd imagine a Wii U set in 5 years will sell for about the same amount as it would now, barring the console. I expect the console to depreciate in value greatly, but the games i'd expect to stay roughly the same. And then you can factor amiibos into this as well. Who knows what those will end up being worth years down the road. Too hard to guess at this juncture. 

DerNebel said:
AEGRO said:

Lol, just because there's a bigger group of hardcore Nintendo collectors willing to pay ridiculous prices for old Nintendo games doesn't mean that those games are remembered more by the general gaming public. The PS2 is often considered the best and most loved console upto date and you can still find its biggest games for relatively cheap nowadays compared to some Gamecube games. These collector prices depend way more on actual scarcity of the product than on how much it is loved or remembered.

well yes, we are obviously talking about two completely different things. obviously. 

i am not talking about ridiculous nintendo collectors (as you would like to unflatteringly characterize them for no particular reason), i am talking about video game enthusiasts. casual gamers are not going to remember the wii u like they remember the ps2 or the xbox 360, but video game enthusiasts think things like mega man x 3 in the box is fucking cool. two completely different markets. casual gamers dont even tend to care about shit that isnt currently being supported, so no it is very unlikely that the wii u will be remembered by them.

Dreamcast stuff can vary greatly depending on condition. I dont know what you had in your dreamcast set or what you got for it, but i'd imagine a Wii U set in 5 years will sell for about the same amount as it would now, barring the console. I expect the console to depreciate in value greatly, but the games i'd expect to stay roughly the same. And then you can factor amiibos into this as well. Who knows what those will end up being worth years down the road. Too hard to guess at this juncture. 

It was a complete PAL set (including Taxi 2) along with about 50 US imports and another 100 Japanese imports.

I got back more than I paid for it :) which I won't complain at given the thousands of hours of entertainment it provided. They seem to fetch far less now haha. But digital availability is ultimately going to kill a lot of the value of physical titles now.

This is why I chose to collect Vita cards. Could well be the last system worth collecting for.

Wii U prices will be heavily dictated by whether NX is a) Wii U compatible and b) if Wii U software is downloadable on NX. If it is, I think software will struggle to hit it's otherwise potential value. Why don't I factor Vita in with this? I don't see there being a successor to the Vita and so ultimately I can see the digital aspect being shut down a lot sooner.

MikeRox said:

It was a complete PAL set (including Taxi 2) along with about 50 US imports and another 100 Japanese imports.

I got back more than I paid for it :) which I won't complain at given the thousands of hours of entertainment it provided. They seem to fetch far less now haha. But digital availability is ultimately going to kill a lot of the value of physical titles now.

This is why I chose to collect Vita cards. Could well be the last system worth collecting for.

Wii U prices will be heavily dictated by whether NX is a) Wii U compatible and b) if Wii U software is downloadable on NX. If it is, 

wow a complete PAL set, that is incredible! Japanese versions of games tend to be worth much less than NA and PAL versions when it comes to dreamcast. Complete collections tend to drive prices up quite a bit too.

PSV is an interesting one. I know it has a lot of really cool exclusive japanese titles here in NA. Those may be worth something. I do see the Wii U and 3DS being great collection pieces moving forward, and I wouldnt be surprised seeing PSV being included in that.

edit: i for some reason missed your last paragraph. downloadable games havent really seemed to affect physical releases in most cases that I have seen. When the Wii introduced VC, physical copies of the games were not affected in any negative way. In fact, they have skyrocketed since then. I fully expect Nintendo to make Wii U games downloadable on NX and future consoles for, well, basically forever. I have a feeling though that it isn't going to make the physical copies worth less.

wow a complete PAL set, that is incredible! Japanese versions of games tend to be worth much less than NA and PAL versions when it comes to dreamcast. Complete collections tend to drive prices up quite a bit too.

PSV is an interesting one. I know it has a lot of really cool exclusive japanese titles here in NA. Those may be worth something. I do see the Wii U and 3DS being great collection pieces moving forward, and I wouldnt be surprised seeing PSV being included in that.

I sold it all individually. Couldn't believe some of the prices I was getting for titles. £36 for Spirit of Speed was a particular highlight lol.

Unlike my Vita collecting at the moment. most of my Dreamcast titles I picked up in clearance sales for between £1 and £5 while stores were getting shot of stock. I don't think we'll ever see anything like that for any system ever again.

I think the Wii U will avoid such a situation because Nintendo aren't pulling out of the games industry even when they decide to officially pull the plug on the hardware.

3DS could be a good shout. Nintendo software in general is good at holding it's value. Especially in good nick. I don't know if having the plastic cases now will impact much as having decent condition games will be much easier. But yeah historically, Nintendo software has held it's value very well.