By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Wii U the Dreamcast of the 2010's?

DerNebel said:
MikeRox said:
DerNebel said:

Like I said the DC has got a huge boost in nostalgia based popularity due to it being Segas last console, if you look at both of these systems purely from a games perspective then neither has enough there to be revered as much as the DC is.

It's not nostalgia. Q4 1999/2000/2001 for Dreamcast were just the best gaming years any system has ever delivered.

And that is an opinion very much fueled by nostalgia.

It's not nostalgia. Back then, I had fun on the console like I had never had before on any system. Was I already nostalgic during that era, even though the Dreamcast wasn't yet a relic of the past? 

The Dreamcast offered amazing arcade ports (flawless ones, in fact), great exclusives, and was ahead of its time. Nowadays, some games may not have aged very well, but many are still fun to this day. Nostalgia has nothing to do with it.

Around the Network
Hynad said:
DerNebel said:

It's not nostalgia. Back then, I had fun on the console like I had never had before on any system. Was I already nostalgic during that era, even though the Dreamcast wasn't yet a relic of the past? 

The Dreamcast offered amazing arcade ports (flawless ones, in fact), great exclusives, and was ahead of its time. Nowadays, some games may not have aged very well, but many are still fun to this day. Nostalgia has nothing to do with it.

With games/systems that you've loved years ago nostalgia always plays a part of it, that's just human nature. You only remember the best things about these things.

DerNebel said:
Hynad said:
DerNebel said:

With games/systems that you've loved years ago nostalgia always plays a part of it, that's just human nature. You only remember the best things about these things.

You say its nostalgia, but in the case of gaming that is incorrect. Unlike any other medium, it is also impossible to appreciate games the same a few generations later as you can at the time they are released.

Books and movies you still watch in exactly the same way. However, the technology improves so much with video games that things age much more noticibly and in a much more detrimental way to the experience.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

spurgeonryan said:

It is relevant because the dreamcast was nit even original.

And the U will have 12-13 by years end.

I don't get your argument here? The NiGHTS controller pioneered having the analogue stick raised on the left hand side of the pad and triggers. The Dreamcast was an evolution of the NiGHTS pad only with a better analogue stick.

The Wii U pad is just a dual shock with a screen??? Oh with analogue triggers removed.

RolStoppable said:
DerNebel said:

Then why is it that previously in this thread you argued the exact opposite?

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=7499584

DerNebel said:
Not really, I think it's going to be quite the opposite, at this point in time we still have people severely overselling the Wii U (for instance by comparing it to the Dreamcast), while in a couple years I think even those will acknowledge what a shitshow Nintendo has pulled with this system.

Maybe that's more of a hope on my part. It's also again connected with the whole thing about the Dreamcast being the last Sega system, Sega didn't get another shot at potentially working out kinks with the system or improving it in other ways. Assuming the NX is a home console and Nintendo actually manages to improve all the stuff that's crappy about the Wii U, you could think that people would be more willing/able to see how flawed the Wii U is.

To give an example about myself and I think also a lot of other PS fans, look at the controller of the PS3. Back in the 7th gen you would still find quite a few PS fans online that would like to argue how the PS3 controller was good or even better than the 360 controller. I never tried to argue that but I always thought the PS3 controller was just fine until the PS4 launched and I saw how leagues better the PS4 controller is, which made it a lot easier to admit how flawed the PS3 controller always was.

Around the Network
RubberWhistleHistle said:
AEGRO said:

LOL 

Im done. Cheers mate.

great reasoning skills bro

unlike most users on this site, i have the ability to admit when im wrong if presented with compelling reasons why. i know you're probably used to the average "defend your points until the bitter end" type of user, but if you actually tell me why people arent going to be willing to pay big bucks trying to get together a sweet Wii U collection in the future, i am 100% willing to listen.

You tell me why someone would be willing to pay big bucks for a Wii U collection in the future?

Please, dont get romantic and/or delusional talking about ''The Holy Grail'' of gaming refering to Wii U games because that is just ridiculous LOL

spurgeonryan said:
MikeRox said:

I don't get your argument here? The NiGHTS controller pioneered having the analogue stick raised on the left hand side of the pad and triggers. The Dreamcast was an evolution of the NiGHTS pad only with a better analogue stick.

The Wii U pad is just a dual shock with a screen??? Oh with analogue triggers removed.

Are you saying the Wii U gamepad is about as original as theI dreamcast controller?

By your logic less original :p

The WiiU strikes me as being much more like the Saturn than the Dreamcast due to the success of its predecessor and problematic design choices.

AEGRO said:

great reasoning skills bro

unlike most users on this site, i have the ability to admit when im wrong if presented with compelling reasons why. i know you're probably used to the average "defend your points until the bitter end" type of user, but if you actually tell me why people arent going to be willing to pay big bucks trying to get together a sweet Wii U collection in the future, i am 100% willing to listen.

You tell me why someone would be willing to pay big bucks for a Wii U collection in the future?

Please, dont get romantic and/or delusional talking about ''The Holy Grail'' of gaming refering to Wii U games because that is just ridiculous LOL

Because that is what history has shown us with Nintendo products... time and time again.. and the lower selling products tend to sell for a lot more than the higher selling products. do you seriously not know anything about what video games sell for?

but i see your reasoning here, its ridiculous because its ridiculous. i get it. 

AEGRO said:

Because that is what history has shown us with Nintendo products... time and time again.. and the lower selling products tend to sell for a lot more than the higher selling products. do you seriously not know anything about what video games sell for?

but i see your reasoning here, its ridiculous because its ridiculous. i get it. 

Maybe our perception of "Big Bucks" is different.

When i think about Big Bucks, im refering to this:

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-rarest-most-expensive-video-games-2014-6?op=1

1500$ and up

Or are you talking about this (LOL):

http://www.amazon.com/XenoBlade-Chronicles-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B007RNWUC4/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1441198857&sr=1-1&keywords=xenoblade