By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Wii U the Dreamcast of the 2010's?

AEGRO said:

I dont understand how someone will regret about not buying the Wii U in time when everybody knows what the console offers (games and features) and is capable of.

That's the point. They really *don't* know what the console offers. There's a number of hidden gems on the console. And in addition to that,  while many know the likes of Mario Kart and Smash, few really, really understand these are top-tier games in their genre.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

Around the Network
DerNebel said:
RolStoppable said:
DerNebel said:

Being reduced to the games is not going to help the Wii U.

Also the DC isn't only remembered for its games either a large part of the nostalgia stems from it being the last Sega console.

Why wouldn't it help? When it's time to look back, it's going to be about the games that could only be played on the Wii U during its time on the market. Multiplatform games cease to matter in such a retrospective, so the fact that the Wii U didn't get many won't be important anymore.

You are right on the second point though. If the DC hadn't been Sega's last console, it would be viewed similarly to the Saturn.

For a system to be in retrospective truly loved for its games it has to have either an extremely vast library of great games or a smaller one with a number of real standout titles, the Wii U doesn't have that. The games on Wii U that will have any lasting impact on gaming or even Nintendo are close to none (at this point I'd say it's Splatoon and not much else). I can see Nintendo of this generation being more remembered for Amiibo than for its games or the Wii U in the future.

Shenmue I/II, Soul Calibur, NFL 2K, NBA 2K, Jet Set Radio, Marvel Vs. Capom 2, Resident Evil: Code Veronica, Skies of Arcadia, Sonic Adventure 1/2, Phantasy Star Online, Rez, House of the Dead, Grandia II, Metropolis Street Racer, Powerstone 1/2, Samba Di Amigo. 

Versus ...

Splatoon, Super Mario 3D World, Bayonetta 2, Xenoblade X, Captain Toad, Pikmin 3, The Wonderful 101, Mario Maker, Rayman Legends, Zombi U, Hyrule Warriors, Fatal Frame V, Super Smash Bros. U, Mario Kart 8, DKC: Tropical Freeze, NSMBU + NSLU with Star Fox Zero, Pokken Tournmanet, SMT x Fire Emblem, and Legend of Zelda still to come at minimum. 

They both have some good games. DC had some really nice diversity though. 

BlowoverKing said:
It's not the Dreamcast of the 2010's because it's not Nintendo's last system, it won't have the mystique of the Dreamcast. The Wii U will be remember more like any other decent console. It'll have its fans due to it having a good library of games but that's it.

If any console has a chance of being remembered like the Dreamcast it'll most likely be the PlayStation Vita but we'll have to wait and see.

Indeed, the Dreamcast holds is status as much for being cut in it's prime. It had really only just got going with it's big releases in the West when they pulled the plug so there is a lot of "what could have been?" factor to it.

People seem to forget the Dreamcast was supported in the West for 16-17 months before the plug was pulled. The Wii U has now had double that.

I agree with the Vita part too. I definitely think history is going to look back far more favourably on it than the present does.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Soundwave said:
DerNebel said:
RolStoppable said:

Why wouldn't it help? When it's time to look back, it's going to be about the games that could only be played on the Wii U during its time on the market. Multiplatform games cease to matter in such a retrospective, so the fact that the Wii U didn't get many won't be important anymore.

You are right on the second point though. If the DC hadn't been Sega's last console, it would be viewed similarly to the Saturn.

For a system to be in retrospective truly loved for its games it has to have either an extremely vast library of great games or a smaller one with a number of real standout titles, the Wii U doesn't have that. The games on Wii U that will have any lasting impact on gaming or even Nintendo are close to none (at this point I'd say it's Splatoon and not much else). I can see Nintendo of this generation being more remembered for Amiibo than for its games or the Wii U in the future.

Shenmue I/II, Soul Calibur, NFL 2K, NBA 2K, Jet Set Radio, Marvel Vs. Capom 2, Resident Evil: Code Veronica, Skies of Arcadia, Sonic Adventure 1/2, Phantasy Star Online, Rez, House of the Dead, Grandia II, Metropolis Street Racer, Powerstone 1/2, Samba Di Amigo. 

Versus ...

Splatoon, Super Mario 3D World, Bayonetta 2, Xenoblade X, Captain Toad, Pikmin 3, The Wonderful 101, Mario Maker, Rayman Legends, Zombi U, Hyrule Warriors, Fatal Frame V, Super Smash Bros. U, Mario Kart 8, DKC: Tropical Freeze, NSMBU + NSLU with Star Fox Zero, Pokken Tournmanet, SMT x Fire Emblem, and Legend of Zelda still to come at minimum. 

They both have some good games. DC had some really nice diversity though. 

Like I said the DC has got a huge boost in nostalgia based popularity due to it being Segas last console, if you look at both of these systems purely from a games perspective then neither has enough there to be revered as much as the DC is.

DerNebel said:

Like I said the DC has got a huge boost in nostalgia based popularity due to it being Segas last console, if you look at both of these systems purely from a games perspective then neither has enough there to be revered as much as the DC is.

It's not nostalgia. Q4 1999/2000/2001 for Dreamcast were just the best gaming years any system has ever delivered.

Around the Network
MikeRox said:
DerNebel said:

It's not nostalgia. Q4 1999/2000/2001 for Dreamcast were just the best gaming years any system has ever delivered.

And that is an opinion very much fueled by nostalgia.

Dreamcast was relatively more advanced hardware. They're similar in that they've both failed despite having a lot of incredibly good games though. Which is sad.

the_dark_lewd said:
Dreamcast was relatively more advanced hardware. They're similar in that they've both failed despite having a lot of incredibly good games though. Which is sad.

Ethernet Port.

DerNebel said:
MikeRox said:
DerNebel said:

It would be nostalgia if I hadn't felt exactly the same about it at the time. Having played Video games since the mid 80s (and been primarily Nintendo up until the Dreamcast) there is no reason for me to single out those years for gaming other than, it was the most exciting time for gaming for me.

BraLoD said:
DerNebel said:
MikeRox said:

They were great years. Not only for DC.

Indeed chuck in the late N64 releases, games like Ridge Racer Type 4 and the incredible stuff that was taking off on PC with a dash of Metal Gear Solid 2... and I think you'd be hard pushed to find any time it was better to be a gamer.