By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Wii U the Dreamcast of the 2010's?

AEGRO said:
RubberWhistleHistle said:
AEGRO said:

You tell me why someone would be willing to pay big bucks for a Wii U collection in the future?

Please, dont get romantic and/or delusional talking about ''The Holy Grail'' of gaming refering to Wii U games because that is just ridiculous LOL

Because that is what history has shown us with Nintendo products... time and time again.. and the lower selling products tend to sell for a lot more than the higher selling products. do you seriously not know anything about what video games sell for?

but i see your reasoning here, its ridiculous because its ridiculous. i get it. 

Maybe our perception of "Big Bucks" is different.

When i think about Big Bucks, im refering to this:

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-rarest-most-expensive-video-games-2014-6?op=1

1500$ and up

Or are you talking about this (LOL):

http://www.amazon.com/XenoBlade-Chronicles-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B007RNWUC4/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1441198857&sr=1-1&keywords=xenoblade

first of all, what the fuck is your problem? 

second of all, you picked a list of the "rarest most expensive video games" 

that is hardly any kind of fair representation of what video games can sell for. 

believe it or not 50 dollars 3 years after release IS big bucks. people dont like spending 50+ on games that are old as fuck. if somebody wants to collect for wii u, they are more than likely going to have to shell out a lot more money than they would if they were collecting for the 360 or the ps2. and i mean A LOT more money. youre acting completely ridiculous.

Around the Network

Personally I consider any game fetching over $100 to be "big bucks" by industry standards. Just holding launch retail is a miracle for most games after 6 months.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

I don't think wii u is anything like dreamcast really. Kinda makes me wonder if you had a dreamcast in 99 when it released because DC wasnt crushed hardware wise if anything it was on par with ps2. You say it had no triple AAA? I disagree sonic adventures was a big launch game and shenmue was the most expensive video game ever produced back then. Dream cast was a very arcadey type console. A big mistake Sega made was falling out with EA and single analog stick

Like some other comments already stated, the Wii U is not at all like the DC for a multitude of reasons, nor the GC.

It's not even the Saturn, because at least the Saturn was a true next-gen console when it was released. In terms of hardware comparisons, the Wii U is more like the 32X of the 2010's... an attempt to bridge the gap into the next gen of consoles while barely being more powerful than the current gen despite being more expensive, and with hardly any software support.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

I think it is more comparable to the Saturn than the Dreamcast.

Around the Network
To say this means that you have no idea what you're talking about. Check out Wii U games . Now look at the Dreamcast . Wii U is unrivaled talking about software. Look at the Wii U software sales and now look the Dreamcast . ¿is it clear enough for you?

"Every day I look in the mirror and ask myself: "If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?". If the answer is no for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something"

Steve Jobs

I don't think the Wii U is like any system that has failed before. To be honest, I can't recall a console coming out previously, 5 or 6 years after older ones which was similar power wise to the ones that had already been out half a decade. The Dreamcast was certainly a massive step up from what was out at the time (PS1 and N64) and was evident right out of the gate with games like Soul Calibur, Ready 2 Rumble, Power Stone, House Of The Dead etc (all release titles).

The Wii Us problem was that it came out almost 6 years after the 360 and PS3 and didn't really show anything that wasn't already capable on existing, much more mature hardware and there was the problem.

So yes, whilst both the Dreamcast and Wii U are both failures, I wouldn't say the reasoning was similar. In my opinion, the Dreamcast was crushed because it failed to adopt to DVD which meant it was massively held back in multi platform titles and was promptly hammered by the PS2, where as the Wii U was just...well...no where near powerful enough considering it was released over 6 years after consoles that it didn't look any better than.

PREDICTIONS FOR END OF 2015: (Made Jan 1st 2015)

PS4 - 34M - XB1 - 21m - WII U -12M

Nope. Which means the prophecy isn't true.

manuelogando40 said:
To say this means that you have no idea what you're talking about. Check out Wii U games . Now look at the Dreamcast . Wii U is unrivaled talking about software. Look at the Wii U software sales and now look the Dreamcast . ¿is it clear enough for you?

You weren't a 90's gamer were you? lol

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Well .......... "NO"