By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo patents an achievement system, along with in game recording

I don't care for achievements but I love the fact that Nintendo are actually trying. With both the 3DS and Wii U Nintendo rested on their laurels completely when designing the hardware and services.

Around the Network

hopefully Nintendo incorporates a mute option where the achievements don't pop up mid-game.

I wish the achievements would actually do something. I hate ps3 achievements because they literally do nothing but pop up randomly. Now if you got little rewards for achievements, like menu skins or points to go toward virtual console games, that would be neat.

slab_of_bacon said:
AZWification said:

I don't care too much about achievements either, but they are pretty much necessary nowadays.

Achievements are completely unnecessary.  I get it that there are those who like them, but actually getting things done in the game are their own measure of success.  These scores add up to some sum on your console and what does that number compare to?

That's the thing, there MANY gamers who like achievements and there's nothing that can be done about that.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Zkuq said:
Hasn't this been done already? I swear I've heard about this idea before.

Also, not innovative enough to grant a patent for. I seriously dislike the US patent system.

Well Nintendo is constantly getting sued by patent trolls so maybe they decided to just patent every last miniscule thing they do from now on to help avoid that.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
Zkuq said:
Hasn't this been done already? I swear I've heard about this idea before.

Also, not innovative enough to grant a patent for. I seriously dislike the US patent system.

Well Nintendo is constantly getting sued by patent trolls so maybe they decided to just patent every last miniscule thing they do from now on to help avoid that.

Yeah, I'm not trying to criticize Nintendo here. I'm dissatisfied with the patent system itself.

I don't care for achievements, but I understand many video game enthusiasts love them. So bring them on, Nintendo. Just provide an option to disable notifications and I'll be a happy customer :)

I'm sure this will have something to do with what's going to replace club nintendo as well.

OMG, this was just announced and now Sony is already copying Nintendo again:

http://kotaku.com/5017378/sony-announces-in-game-xmb-trophies-coming-to-ps3-via-240-firmware

In seriousness, did anyone notice that the inventor of this is Koichi Hayashida, the director of the NES Remix series. This is, indeed, the system used in NES Remix, and for some reason they decided to file a patent on it last October. Perhaps they felt the mechanic in NES Remix was unique enough to protect or they feel it should be adopted by all games. Nothing beyond that can be inferred by this patent, but hopefully they do implement an achievement system. I never thought I would like it, but it's fun on my XBox and it was good in Xenoblade, too.

Mummelmann said:
gabzjmm23 said:

Wii U has stamp collection that you collect in game and integrate it to Miiverse.  That is collecting it within the game for 3D World, in a sense it is an achievement system getting a cetain point of the game and those stickers are hidden.  In MK8, you need certain achievements to unlock the stamps, it is nt (I assume) implemented across all games.  The patent can refine the part of that stamp collection system Wii U have.  Not really direct to trophies/achievement of other consoles but there is something for completionist.  The game recording is cool as long as they can integrate to youtube (don't know where Nintendo stands on this as of the moment) or twitter or facebook and link Miiverse to those other social sites then that would be really awesome.

All I know Nintendo is lagging in cpu and gpu to attain those atleast acceptable PC display settings which is the primary need for 3rd party games. But you know Nintendo, they'll do what they think is the best for their console.  It could be a bit better than Wii U, maybe around 720p plus the rumor hybrid thing. Who knows. 

I don't think they necessarily need to catch up on power, but I think they need more and better functionality, especially online which has grown to become immensely important on consoles over th 7th generation and till today.

I totally agree with what you just wrote!

I bet the Wii U would sell more than 15M LTD by the end of 2015. He bet it would sell less. I lost.